IF...Clint was to be fired

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

That's a big IF and I don't put all the blame for the performance of this team on him, but IF he was to be let go during the season, who would get the interim job? Who would you like to see get the long term job?

My opinions:

Interim would be Joey Cora

Long term I might like to see Tony Pena
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Bob Walk

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

seems to like it will be Cora or Prince.

have not thought about Tony Pena in a while. Is he a major league coach now?
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

587E7F687E6E1D0 wrote: seems to like it will be Cora or Prince. 

have not thought about Tony Pena in a while.  Is he a major league coach now?
1st base coach with the Yankees.

Was also the DR WBC manager
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

I think both Clint and Neil will be blamed and fired before this calendar year is finished. Unfortunately, the real problem can't be fired.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7B7C6A626C7B3C30496E64686065276A6664090 wrote: I think both Clint and Neil will be blamed and fired before this calendar year is finished.  Unfortunately, the real problem can't be fired. 
I think NH is safe. His job seems to be to assemble as competitive a team as possible using a payroll that is not consistent with other competitive teams. For the most part he's done that. Nutting surely isn't going to increase payroll for a different GM so he's better off having NH trying to spin gold out of straw every year. I could possibly see Hurdle being used as a scapegoat. He's a rather average, unimaginative manager. But unless they got lucky and gave someone a first chance at managing and he turned out to be great, nothing will change. IMHO, Clint doesn't make the team better. But there's not a lot you can do when every season depends on a lot of best case scenario ifs. Last year the Cubs endured an awful season from Hayward but had so much talent it didn't even faze them. For the Pirates, there is no margin for error.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: I think both Clint and Neil will be blamed and fired before this calendar year is finished.  Unfortunately, the real problem can't be fired. 
I think NH is safe. His job seems to be to assemble as competitive a team as possible using a payroll that is not consistent with other competitive teams. For the most part he's done that. Nutting surely isn't going to increase payroll for a different GM so he's better off having NH trying to spin gold out of straw every year. I could possibly see Hurdle being used as a scapegoat. He's a rather average, unimaginative manager. But unless they got lucky and gave someone a first chance at managing and he turned out to be great, nothing will change. IMHO, Clint doesn't make the team better. But there's not a lot you can do when every season depends on a lot of best case scenario ifs. Last year the Cubs endured an awful season from Hayward but had so much talent it didn't even faze them. For the Pirates, there is no margin for error.

I could see NH being fired as a scapegoat along with Clint. Clint could go as a scapegoat for Neil, if NH goes it is because he is a scapegoat for Nutting.

The advantage from ownership's perspective is that a new GM could come in with a 3 or 5 year plan to put a good team together. In other words, be able to deflect criticism for a few more years.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

If Clint and Neil get fired that is a shame. The blame for this poor season so far is due to the guy who is still in South Korea and the bonehead move of Marte. With those two in the lineup the Bucs would have at least been .500. These two players have put this team in a very poor situation.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

466B66777061763635040 wrote: I think both Clint and Neil will be blamed and fired before this calendar year is finished.  Unfortunately, the real problem can't be fired. 

NH has done nothing to help this team for 2017 absent resign Nova. Hudson signing was terrible and Gosselin isn't a good solution even join the bench. Granted, he needs the resources to do it. So, if Pittsburgh didn't get any help as far as getting solutions, why in the hell would Clint be canned? This roster is very flawed in many ways.
PMike

Post by PMike »

Agree completely with the above post.

There is no way those two are getting fired. If they did, the tailspin that would have to precede that would be epic. They are a few games under .500 and playing solid baseball despite 4.5 regulars being out of the lineup and facing the schedule they've faced so far.

The angst that exists around the Pirates right now would make one think they were in last place in all of baseball.