What Route Do Bucs Take This Offseason

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

With 10 games remaining this season, and the team threatening to land in last place in the Central I have wondered what or how the Pirates should approach this offseason. The first thing they should do is to exercise the option for Cutch. Next I would buy out the contract of Stewart and retain him in the organization as an instructor or coach. Also during November and December I would be having serious trade discussions on Marte, Cole as well as Polanco. I would hope to make a trade or two that would bring back players that are already at the Major Leagues or Major League ready.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I would keep losing and go for a higher draft pick.

I would look seriously into Jung Ho Kang's chances of returning. I wouldn't be monkeying around with that situation and not be in the know.

I would look into McCutchen and try to extend him. I have no idea what he gets with his .275 average this year.

I would go hard after Bullpen pitchers. That was the weakest part of the team and is weak going forward too.

I would not bring back Stewart or Jaso. Not sure why one would think Stewart will retire and be a coach? He can probably get a deal somewhere. Tom Prince isn't going anywhere either.

It will be an interesting off season. They can add, trade, or rebuild. Its a weird situation to be in as it is not cut and dried to what to do.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

They will take the least risky path, which will be to try and retool the current team a little and hope everyone has better years.
OrlandoMerced

Post by OrlandoMerced »

I'm under the impression that they have to either rebuild or make a significant addition. In general, I like the way they have been operating and think NH has done a good job navigating the landscape and acquiring talent with significant payroll constraints.

That said, they are blessed with a rotation that is 60% pre arbitration and some position players to build around. If they simply go into 2018 with Marte, Polanco, Harrison, Cervelli and Mercer penciled into the lineup and don't upgrade 3B, SS or RF, then I'm checking out.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

The horses are there to make significant additions we need made.  Moustaskas, Frazier are FA for 3b.  Bruce is FA for RF.

If they wanted to leave the rotation in place, they could add what we need with $ commitment. Our rotation is dirt cheap. It will never be cheaper.

If they want to substantially improve this lineup, they could.

Or they could sell off.   

mouse

Post by mouse »

I think Cutch is almost certain to be traded. Otherwise he leaves at season's end and they have nothing to show for it. In theory they could hold off till the July trade deadline, but what if they are actually in a race at that point. There's no they avoid a revolt from fans and teammates. They can't take that chance.

I think there's a fifty-fifty chance they trade Harrison - he's MLB average, more or less, at second base and they have a lot of middle infielders, one or more of whom can take his spot for league minimum.

They keep Cole - their idea is to challenge again using pitching as the core of their team strength. Keep many of the pitchers but trade from that surplus (at AAA) to get position players at (most likely) AA or AAA level.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I think they will rebuild. Its cheaper! Unless TBMTIB led by the Cheapest Owner In Baseball (COIB) is willing to spend so serious money they will just continue to disappoint the fans and lie to the fans saying they are limited by fan apathy and being a small market.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3B

OF

1 SP

SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

69626A666362793C3A4D746C656262236E620D0 wrote: I would keep losing and go for a higher draft pick.

I would look seriously into Jung Ho Kang's chances of returning.  I wouldn't be monkeying around with that situation and not be in the know. 

I would look into McCutchen and try to extend him.  I have no idea what he gets with his .275 average this year. 

I would go hard after Bullpen pitchers.  That was the weakest part of the team and is weak going forward too. 

I would not bring back Stewart or Jaso.  Not sure why one would think Stewart will retire and be a coach?  He can probably get a deal somewhere.  Tom Prince isn't going anywhere either. 

It will be an interesting off season.  They can add, trade, or rebuild.  Its a weird situation to be in as it is not cut and dried to what to do.

Look to extend Mccutcheon when this organization needs talent?  They need to deal him.  He isn't resigning here.  That is fairly obvious to me.  I would think the guy wants to compete for a title, not last in the division.

Fact is, they won't do a darn thing to make anything better.  They think this team is a contender the way it is.  LOL.  Too funny. 

It is cut and dried relative to what to do if you want to field a competitive team.  If you do, changes need to be made ... players released, traded, no reclamation projects brought in.  Status quo won't work.  Your plan won't work.

Bullpen ... Kang situation ... get rid of Jaso and Stewart don't rectify a lot of problems at all. There is more to it - a lot more.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Blow the entire thing up. Trade everyone, up to and including Taillon. This team is not good, not even close to good. If we bring the same sad group back next year, another year older, we're only going to go further south, record wise. This is a 90 loss team this year. If no significant, and I mean SIGNIFICANT upgrades are made, this is a 100 loss team next year. We can talk about down years and Kang and Marte until we're blue in the face. But the truth is, people have down years every year. Last year it was McCutchen. This year it's Polanco. Next year could be Bell.

Bottom line...this team stinks. They have no heart, lack basic fundamental skills I'd expect from a bad high school team, and have no star power.

Blow the whole thing up...I'm totally serious. Trade McCutchen, Marte, Polanco, Cole, Harrison, Mercer, Cervelli, Freese, and maybe even Taillon and Bell, depending on what kinds of offers you get. Everybody. This team, as currently structured, isn't even close to competing. We, and TBMTIB, are kidding ourselves if we think otherwise.