9/12 vs Milwaukee

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

9/12 vs Milwaukee

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5F5A5D5B5359405D5447414C350 wrote: If Cole stinks, how can he demand so much money?

If Cole stinks, how does he have any trade value?

Dog, you are the first one to use the word 'stink' in this thread.  Cole is not what he was hyped to be, and overall has been very middling.  I think his temperament may be his biggest problem, but I don't say that with total conviction.  All I do know is that I am ready for the FO to trade him for whatever we can get.  I am ready to move on. 

The hype has not have been lived up to, I agree. Rotations will still want a Cole type pitcher in it. No way do I just trade him for "whatever we can get" because he didn't live up to the hype. He can still be a very solid rotation pitcher.

Look around the league, there are probably two or three players in almost every rotation you would want Cole over. Even this season Cole is top 30 in ERA, top 20 in strike outs, top 25 in WHIP in all of baseball.

I would try to get someone better than Cole, but losing Cole in the process will hurt too.
Bobster21

9/12 vs Milwaukee

Post by Bobster21 »

68636B676263783D3B4C756D646363226F630C0 wrote: If Cole stinks, how can he demand so much money?

If Cole stinks, how does he have any trade value?

Dog, you are the first one to use the word 'stink' in this thread.  Cole is not what he was hyped to be, and overall has been very middling.  I think his temperament may be his biggest problem, but I don't say that with total conviction.  All I do know is that I am ready for the FO to trade him for whatever we can get.  I am ready to move on. 

The hype has not have been lived up to, I agree.  Rotations will still want a Cole type pitcher in it.  No way do I just trade him for "whatever we can get" because he didn't live up to the hype.  He can still be a very solid rotation pitcher. 

Look around the league, there are probably two or three players in almost every rotation you would want Cole over.  Even this season Cole is top 30 in ERA, top 20 in strike outs, top 25 in WHIP in all of baseball.

I would try to get someone better than Cole, but losing Cole in the process will hurt too.

Despite being a disappointment in terms of not being the dominant starter he was expected to be, Cole still has value. Any team would put him in their rotation so there will be a market for him and a pretty decent return. For the Pirates, there just has not been enough separation between Cole and the other starters like Kuhl, Williams and Taillon. And maybe Brault and/or Glasnow next year All of them, including Cole, show flashes but are inconsistent. Cole would be great to have in the rotation if there were 1 or 2 starters better than him. But he's not the consistent shut down ace they thought he would be and they have other starters who can mix good with bad performances. But Cole has the tools and most teams would want him and think they could improve him just as the Pirates always think they can improve pitchers they get from other teams. So I think the Pirates would be better off with a good return for Cole than with keeping him and expecting him to be more than he is.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

9/12 vs Milwaukee

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I just don't see how they can trade Cole for someone better than him.  I don't think they are in total rebuild mode or should be for that matter.  Trading Cole would be for the future.  It is time to trade the future for now. 

Cole would be in every rotation in baseball.  With that being the case, I don't see a reason to trade him to help the 2018 team.  Even if they trade him for a position player, that leaves a hole in the Pirates rotation. 

johnfluharty

9/12 vs Milwaukee

Post by johnfluharty »

3239313D3839226761162F373E3939783539560 wrote: I just don't see how they can trade Cole for someone better than him.  I don't think they are in total rebuild mode or should be for that matter.  Trading Cole would be for the future.  It is time to trade the future for now. 

Cole would be in every rotation in baseball.  With that being the case, I don't see a reason to trade him to help the 2018 team.  Even if they trade him for a position player, that leaves a hole in the Pirates rotation. 

It would not help us for 2018, no, unless freeing up a slot in the rotation for someone else would prove to be helpful, which is no guarantee. We'd trade him for one or more lower level prospects, one would assume.
SammyKhalifa

9/12 vs Milwaukee

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Stepping back and looking at Cole's season, though I think of this year as a disappointment it is really a lot more like 2015 than his awful 2017 (or more precisely, about halfway between the two).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ge01.shtml

His home runs are way up, which is weird and concerning, but if I were eyeing his page as a potential pickup for next season I'd like what I'm seeing.
rucker59@gmail.com

9/12 vs Milwaukee

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0B3935352113303934313E39580 wrote: Stepping back and looking at Cole's season, though I think of this year as a disappointment it is really a lot more like 2015 than his awful 2017 (or more precisely, about halfway between the two).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/play ... ge01.shtml

His home runs are way up, which is weird and concerning, but if I were eyeing his page as a potential pickup for next season I'd like what I'm seeing.   

I'm in favor of trading him. I'm not in favor of giving him away. Who ever is reading this page looking for a starter needs to dig deep (but not as deep as in the past).

I think the Pirates can get more for him then he's worth himself.
mouse

9/12 vs Milwaukee

Post by mouse »

Glasnow is pitching tonight. How he does might affect NH's decision on what to do with the staff in the off-season.
SammyKhalifa

9/12 vs Milwaukee

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Would be nice. Because no matter what I see on that page, what sticks out to me personally are those innings where he blows up for like four runs. I do think he would get a good return if we made a deal though.
dmetz

9/12 vs Milwaukee

Post by dmetz »

We could sell Keller for 2019.  If Glasnow can somehow end the season well, we could hold Keller and sell Glasnow for 2019