Glasnow service time ?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

PMike

Glasnow service time ?

Post by PMike »

Admittedly, I don't totally get all of this.

If he already has 66 days, doesn't that make this his first pre-arb year?

2016 - Held back and did not have enough service time to qualify

2017 - Pre-arb 1

2018 - Pre-arb 2

2019 - Pre-arb 3

2020 - Arb 1

2021 - Arb 2

2022 - Arb 3

2023 - FA
dmetz

Glasnow service time ?

Post by dmetz »

Yes I believe so. If he comes up and plays the whole season. If he is kept down until mid June (66 calander days plus 7more, I believe) his last year of arb would be 2023. The team gains an extra year of control but has to pay him arb for four seasons instead of 3. Super two

2016 - Held back and did not have enough service time to qualify

2017 - Pre-arb 1

2018 - Pre-arb 2

2019 - Pre-arb 3

2020 - Arb 1

2021 - Arb 2

2022 - Arb 3

2023 - FA
OrlandoMerced

Glasnow service time ?

Post by OrlandoMerced »

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/princi ... super-two/

He needs 172 service days to complete his first full season. So to get that additional year of control, he would have to stay in Indy till early June. I don't think it makes much sense to have him start the season in the rotation. He's not a finished product and that year of control could be very valuable.
Ecbucs

Glasnow service time ?

Post by Ecbucs »

2C110F020D070C2E0611000607630 wrote: http://www.fangraphs.com/library/princi ... super-two/

He needs 172 service days to complete his first full season.  So to get that additional year of control, he would have to stay in Indy till early June.  I don't think it makes much sense to have him start the season in the rotation.  He's not a finished product and that year of control could be very valuable.

So if he gets less than 106 days in 2017 the pirates control him for one more year?
OrlandoMerced

Glasnow service time ?

Post by OrlandoMerced »

Actually, I'm not sure that I fully understand how all that works. If I understand correctly, the team controls a player for six full seasons, and that first year isn't reached until a player reaches that 172 days of service time. But if he were to reach his 172nd game early in 2018, he would be eligible for arbitration earlier.
Bobster21

Glasnow service time ?

Post by Bobster21 »

1D203E333C363D1F3720313736520 wrote: Actually, I'm not sure that I fully understand how all that works.  If I understand correctly, the team controls a player for six full seasons, and that first year isn't reached until a player reaches that 172 days of service time.  But if he were to reach his 172nd game early in 2018, he would be eligible for arbitration earlier.
Yes. Years of control and years of arbitration eligibility are two separate things. Normally the player has no salary leverage the first 3 years, is arb eligible the next 3 years and gets free agency (if not extended) after that. But super 2 status results in 2 years of no salary leverage and 4 years of arb eligibility.
mouse

Glasnow service time ?

Post by mouse »

In a sense, it's sort of like Bell being eligible for rookie of the year because he fell one at bat short of the number needed to count for a season. If the Pirates wait for the June date, Glasnow won't accumulate enough service time for 2017 to count as a year for eligibility purposes, but will have enough time to qualify for an extra round of arbitration. If they wait even longer, to some date in July, he won't qualify for extra arbitration either.
iabucco

Glasnow service time ?

Post by iabucco »

If Glasnow is ready, I want him in the rotation. Being ready does not mean that he will dominate but more like he will not learn any more by being in triple A. I think he will take a few lumps no matter what, so if he is ready I would rather start getting those out of the way now. If he needs to work on the new grip change up then send him down but I think they have enough control that they need him in the rotation as soon as he can contribute.
DemDog

Glasnow service time ?

Post by DemDog »

013C222F202A21032B3C2D2B2A4E0 wrote: Actually, I'm not sure that I fully understand how all that works.  If I understand correctly, the team controls a player for six full seasons, and that first year isn't reached until a player reaches that 172 days of service time.  But if he were to reach his 172nd game early in 2018, he would be eligible for arbitration earlier.

The idea of keeping Glasnow or any big time prospect like him down on the farm for part of the early season is to limit the days of service time in his first year. This is because Super 2 Arbitration eligible players get to arbitration in their third year of playing in MLB instead of the 4th year.

Super 2 is based on the top 22 percent of 2nd year players at the end of their second season. Each spring MLB or someone calculates the cut off number days the top 22 percent might be. So we hold our big guy back for a few days after that date.

Glasnows cut off date must consider the number of service time days he accrued in 2016. So he maybe up later than someone with fewer service time days.

Hope that helps you understand.
dmetz

Glasnow service time ?

Post by dmetz »

Because he's working on his third pitch and not polished with his work from the stretch (and can't hold a runner to save his life) it seems very likely he's in AAA at least through April right?

At that point if he's ready by the above standards, does anyone really think we would pull him up for a month at the cost of having him for another full season in 2023?

If he's dominant in ST and they take an injury, he may come north with the team. If he doesn't, I can't imagine him getting the call until June in order to get 2023 controlled. If for no other reason than to increase his potential trade value if he turns out to be a stud.

He would be super two and if he's a stud, would be outside of our price range just by his last of four arb years ::)