Hinch throws book out the window

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

406D60717667703033020 wrote: Hinch hasn't been managing like that all year. Once Peacock was a starter, he hasn't come in relief. Hinch also used Verlander in relief in this post season. This isn't something Hinch always does.

I assume the Astros had a plan to use McCullers and Peacock together since they both wouldn't get a start.

I would be surprised if Hurdle did that for sure. Like I said, there has been some very unusual moves this year and last year in the post season. Especially, the use of the pitchers. Going forward, do you want Hurdle to bring in a starter for relief?
That's not the point. Regardless of who was pitching in relief, the common strategy with a 2-run lead is to get to the 8th and then use your 8th inning guy and then go to the closer in the 9th. The fact that the reliever in the game was normally a starter is less significant than the fact that Hinch didn't follow normal 8th and 9th inning protocol.

No, apparently the significant part is that we use a hypothetical edge case as another way to hate on Clint hurdle
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

566468687C4E6D64696C6364050 wrote: Hinch hasn't been managing like that all year. Once Peacock was a starter, he hasn't come in relief. Hinch also used Verlander in relief in this post season. This isn't something Hinch always does.

I assume the Astros had a plan to use McCullers and Peacock together since they both wouldn't get a start.

I would be surprised if Hurdle did that for sure. Like I said, there has been some very unusual moves this year and last year in the post season. Especially, the use of the pitchers. Going forward, do you want Hurdle to bring in a starter for relief?
That's not the point. Regardless of who was pitching in relief, the common strategy with a 2-run lead is to get to the 8th and then use your 8th inning guy and then go to the closer in the 9th. The fact that the reliever in the game was normally a starter is less significant than the fact that Hinch didn't follow normal 8th and 9th inning protocol.

No, apparently the significant part is that we use a hypothetical edge case as another way to hate on Clint hurdle
No, that wasn't my point. Sure, Hurdle does that. But so does every other manager. I think it's a bad strategy no matter which mgr we're talking about. So I love seeing a manager go against the grain and use common sense.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

4B40484441405B1E186F564E474040014C402F0 wrote: Hinch hasn't been managing like that all year. Once Peacock was a starter, he hasn't come in relief. Hinch also used Verlander in relief in this post season. This isn't something Hinch always does.

Dodge dodge dodge, your embarrassing yourself. Hurdle and lots of others use the TL stupid book of managing and its wrong and everyone who watched the game last night saw how a real manger runs his club
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

455D5F58584F5E59444553360 wrote: Hinch hasn't been managing like that all year. Once Peacock was a starter, he hasn't come in relief. Hinch also used Verlander in relief in this post season. This isn't something Hinch always does.

Dodge dodge dodge, your embarrassing yourself.  Hurdle and lots of others use the TL stupid book of managing and its wrong and everyone who watched the game last night saw how a real manger runs his club

Wasn't Hurdle attacted for brining in Rivero in non-save situations this year?

And I said I would be surprised if Hurdle did do that. Like you said, it isn't just Hurdle. Hinch doing this one time doesn't make him some super manager. You are just trying to attack Hurdle in some hypothetical situation.

Answer my question: Do you want Hurdle to bring in a starter to relieve games next year?
mouse

Post by mouse »

Are you asking about the World Series next year, or regular season games? We'd all love to see him use a starter for relief in next year's World Series. :)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I guess Hinch went back to Hurdle's book in Game 4. His Closer came into the game and gave it up in the 9th.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

616A626E6B6A713432457C646D6A6A2B666A050 wrote: Hinch hasn't been managing like that all year. Once Peacock was a starter, he hasn't come in relief. Hinch also used Verlander in relief in this post season. This isn't something Hinch always does.

Dodge dodge dodge, your embarrassing yourself.  Hurdle and lots of others use the TL stupid book of managing and its wrong and everyone who watched the game last night saw how a real manger runs his club

Wasn't Hurdle attacted for brining in Rivero in non-save situations this year? 

And I said I would be surprised if Hurdle did do that. Like you said, it isn't just Hurdle. Hinch doing this one time doesn't make him some super manager. You are just trying to attack Hurdle in some hypothetical situation.

Answer my question: Do you want Hurdle to bring in a starter to relieve games next year? 

Your embarrassing yourself, everyone knows and I'm not saying you bring in starters as relievers normally during the regular season, but you do trust your eyes all the time if your worth anything and Hurdle uses the by the book managing 99% of the time. It is an awful way to manage especially if you want to win, and I hope it starts to change after this world series.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Hinch used the book in Game 4. His Closer is said not to be available now for Game 5. It isn't like he is doing some out of the box strategy every game. You are just trying to rip Hurdle, that was your goal.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

565D55595C5D460305724B535A5D5D1C515D320 wrote: Hinch used the book in Game 4. His Closer is said not to be available now for Game 5. It isn't like he is doing some out of the box strategy every game. You are just trying to rip Hurdle, that was your goal. 
I don't know how Hinch manages long term (and I suspect niether do you), but the announcers made a point of him using his eyes and I noticed in a previous game he left the pitcher in for the late innings because they were pitching well. You sir are defending the indefensible.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Well, Dave Roberts went outside the book in throwing Morrow five times in six days. Result? No doubt homer, single, double, wild pitch, homer.