5/11 Game Thread - Cole in the desert

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

We need Freese or Frazier tomorrow..Gift is a neat story, but it doesn't even take good pitches to strike him out, a fastball anywhere that's 93+ or a good offspead pitch right down the middle will do it too...
JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

After watching the Bucs get swept in LA. (I actually walked out of Wednesday's game) I have determined that this club as currently manned is simply unwatchable. I feel for the pitchers; this is just an awful offense (with the exception of J-Hay). They were no hitted for 6 in LA and they look like they will get no hitted tonight. Unwatchable!!

Let's Go Pens!!!!
CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Another great start from Gerrit wasted...getting 7 with only two was impressive considering he wasn't sharp today.
CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

The thing that pisses me off the most...if Gift, Osuna, or Moroff played for the cardinals, they'd all be hitting .350 right now under the same circumstances...
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

That's why you don't run as the tying run. Harrison even had a great jump and was throw out by a Catcher throwing on his knees.

Also looked like Cervelli hurt his left knee on a swing.
CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

5358505C5958430600774E565F5858195458370 wrote: That's why you don't run as the tying run. Harrison even had a great jump and was throw out by a Catcher throwing on his knees.

Also looked like Cervelli hurt his left knee on a swing.

No it was the foot again...he'll probably be out the next few days...awesome
Quail

Post by Quail »

The Pirates have gotten a total of 9 hits in their last 4 games. I've been a fan of the Pirates since the 1950's and I don't recall any 4 game stretch where that might have happened before. This offense isn't just awful it's practically nonexistent.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Other than the Polanco HR, the Pirates had only 2 baserunners. Both were thrown out stealing. They are the only team in the NL (and one of two teams in MLB) that has been caught stealing (16 times) more than they have stolen (15 times). They are also 13th in team OBP in the NL. Which means that they are one of the worst teams for getting men on base and are far too often having the few runners that do manage to get on base needlessly removed from the base paths and sent back to the dugout.

I understand the thinking that the hitting is so nonexistent that getting around the bases from 1B is unlikely to be achieved by getting a few subsequent hits in the same inning. So a SB has the potential to get a guy into scoring position where it might only take 1 hit to score him. But when you have runners thrown out more often than they get the SB, that strategy becomes counterproductive. So it's darned if you do; darned if you don't.

I've also been reading that MLB is on a pace to set a record for most HRs in a season. Even saw an article speculating the ball may be juiced this year. But here's our poor little stepchild Pirates in 14th place in the NL in HRs with 30. The league average is 49.

In their last 23 games they have scored 2 or fewer runs 12 times (52%). In all, they have played a total of 35 games and scored 3 runs or less in 22 of them (63%). It is becoming unwatchable.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Unfortunately Cervelli is just a walking injury.  A flop.   At least JHay appears to be playing up to his contract.

If Cervelli has any trade value, which I'm not sure that he really does because he's a catcher made of glass, he's someone we should be moving this season.

Diaz is a very good defensive catcher.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I have mixed thoughts on Diaz. I think he's 26 now and would be 27 next year. If he were good, wouldn't he have forced someone out by now?