Iron Man Bell?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Iron Man Bell?

Post by Bobster21 »

Had to laugh at this Trib article.

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/1246 ... -of-season

I know the Ripken reference was tongue in cheek but it still shows how this obsession with resting players has gotten out of hand. Reporter Chris Adamski seems to be buying into it. Bell is being discussed as if he's a freak because he started 73 of 83 games and appeared in the others. Of the 10 games he didn't start, he did enter one in the 7th inning and played the rest of a 14 inning game. In the other 9 he pinch hit. He stayed in to play an inning in 3 of those games.  Wow, what an iron man! No wonder Hurdle is concerned. Just as a point of reference, Ripken started 2,632 consecutive games and played every inning for over 5 years between 6/82 and 9/87. But to Hurdle, starting 73 of 83 games and making little more than a cameo appearance in 9 of the other 10 is a really big deal.   
notes34

Iron Man Bell?

Post by notes34 »

Hurdle will probably rest him from now until after the All Star break to make up for playing him too much!
IABucFan

Iron Man Bell?

Post by IABucFan »

I'll say this...I think to some extent, CH takes this to an extreme. But, to a large part, I think it's reasonable to give guys regular rest. I remember reading an interview with George Brett a couple of years ago, and when they asked if he could change anything from his playing career, what would he change. He said he would have taken a day off each week in order to stay fresh.

I think a big reason we were so good in 2015 was because no one got hurt, for the most part. Our pitchers pretty much took the ball every day, and with the exception of the freak injuries to Kang and Mercer, I don't think we really had any injuries among our position players.
Ecbucs

Iron Man Bell?

Post by Ecbucs »

51595A6D7B5E7976180 wrote: I'll say this...I think to some extent, CH takes this to an extreme.  But, to a large part, I think it's reasonable to give guys regular rest.  I remember reading an interview with George Brett a couple of years ago, and when they asked if he could change anything from his playing career, what would he change.  He said he would have taken a day off each week in order to stay fresh.

I think a big reason we were so good in 2015 was because no one got hurt, for the most part.  Our pitchers pretty much took the ball every day, and with the exception of the freak injuries to Kang and Mercer, I don't think we really had any injuries among our position players.

didn't Cutch have a thumb injury? Seems Polanco has had hamstring or leg problems off and on too. Cervelli too. I agree that players should get some rest, it just seems like the Bucs over do it and put more weak line ups when needed. I just don't see the need to worry about running out of gas in September if you aren't in striking range of playoffs.
dmetz

Iron Man Bell?

Post by dmetz »

7E58594E58483B0 wrote: I'll say this...I think to some extent, CH takes this to an extreme.  But, to a large part, I think it's reasonable to give guys regular rest.  I remember reading an interview with George Brett a couple of years ago, and when they asked if he could change anything from his playing career, what would he change.  He said he would have taken a day off each week in order to stay fresh.

I think a big reason we were so good in 2015 was because no one got hurt, for the most part.  Our pitchers pretty much took the ball every day, and with the exception of the freak injuries to Kang and Mercer, I don't think we really had any injuries among our position players.

didn't Cutch have a thumb injury?  Seems Polanco has had hamstring or leg problems off and on too. Cervelli too. I agree that players should get some rest, it just seems like the Bucs over do it and put more weak line ups when needed.  I just don't see the need to worry about running out of gas in September if you aren't in striking range of playoffs.

Cutch played 157 games, Polanco and Marte 153.

George Brett played more than 145 games in a season  6 times in 21 years.   So I don't know what he's talking about needing more time off.  He already was playing partial seasons as a 3b/1bman.  not mention he DH'ed 500 times basically he did take 1 day off a week.   

Maybe Brett should check his stat sheet before he interviews next time   
IABucFan

Iron Man Bell?

Post by IABucFan »

I think Cutch's thumb injury was last year. But, yeah, Cutch, Marte, and Polanco pretty much played the whole year in 2015. Kang did until as well until Coughlin took him out. I don't think Cervelli was hurt at all in 2015. Harrison may have been. Walker and Alvarez played the entire year, I believe.

As for the rotation, Burnett, Cole, Locke and Liriano pretty much took the ball every 5th day. I think Liriano missed one start because of a stiff neck. Other than that, I think Morton was hurt at the start of the year, but eventually after he came back, I think he took the ball every fifth day.
Bobster21

Iron Man Bell?

Post by Bobster21 »

I don't know that there is a correlation between rest and avoiding injuries other than the obvious that you won't get hurt playing if you don't play. But an injury can occur at any time even if a guy sat out the day before. Occasional rest is fine but Hurdle goes too far. Case in point: Sunday when he held out Cutch, Harrison and Freese (not to mention Diaz who he won't let catch 2 games in a row) just 6 days after the team had a day off.
IABucFan

Iron Man Bell?

Post by IABucFan »

6A474A5B5C4D5A1A19280 wrote: I don't know that there is a correlation between rest and avoiding injuries other than the obvious that you won't get hurt playing if you don't play. But an injury can occur at any time even if a guy sat out the day before. Occasional rest is fine but Hurdle goes too far. Case in point: Sunday when he held out Cutch, Harrison and Freese (not to mention Diaz who he won't let catch 2 games in a row) just 6 days after the team had a day off.

Agreed, but I do think there is probably a correlation to regular rest and avoiding preventable injuries. I mean, no one can avoid Chris Coghlin sliding right into your knee. But the muscle problems, arm fatigue, stuff like that, I think some extra rest can help there. In fact, I seem to remember an article in either the Trib or PPG that detailed this very fact.

Regardless, I agree with you about Sunday's lineup, and Diaz. Though, to be fair, Diaz didn't exactly help himself on Saturday night as we were living literally an entire team on base.
Ecbucs

Iron Man Bell?

Post by Ecbucs »

646C6F584E6B4C432D0 wrote: I think Cutch's thumb injury was last year.  But, yeah, Cutch, Marte, and Polanco pretty much played the whole year in 2015.  Kang did until as well until Coughlin took him out.  I don't think Cervelli was hurt at all in 2015.  Harrison may have been.  Walker and Alvarez played the entire year, I believe.

As for the rotation, Burnett, Cole, Locke and Liriano pretty much took the ball every 5th day.  I think Liriano missed one start because of a stiff neck.  Other than that, I think Morton was hurt at the start of the year, but eventually after he came back, I think he took the ball every fifth day.

My thinking is that comparing the 2015 and 2016 season doesn't show (or at least obviously show) that resting players prevents injuries.
SammyKhalifa

Iron Man Bell?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

1F39382F39295A0 wrote: I think Cutch's thumb injury was last year.  But, yeah, Cutch, Marte, and Polanco pretty much played the whole year in 2015.  Kang did until as well until Coughlin took him out.  I don't think Cervelli was hurt at all in 2015.  Harrison may have been.  Walker and Alvarez played the entire year, I believe.

As for the rotation, Burnett, Cole, Locke and Liriano pretty much took the ball every 5th day.  I think Liriano missed one start because of a stiff neck.  Other than that, I think Morton was hurt at the start of the year, but eventually after he came back, I think he took the ball every fifth day.

My thinking is that comparing the 2015 and 2016 season doesn't show (or at least obviously show) that resting players prevents injuries.

To be fair it's really difficult to quantify injuries that didn't happen because of amount of rest. I have no idea if it's a good idea or a bad idea.