Parker on Hall of Fame ballot

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

One of the many veterans committees of the Hall of Fame will meet on December 10 and vote on the possible induction of Dave Parker, plus eight other players and Marvin Miller. Players on the "Modern Game" ballot played the bulk of their careers after 1970. The ballot: Steve Garvey, Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Marvin Miller, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Ted Simmons, Luis Tiant and Alan Trammell.

Each person on the committee can vote for four, and the usual 75% is required for induction. If I had a vote, I'd go for John, Simmons, Tiant, and Trammell. Parker would probably come fifth.

https://baseballhall.org/modern-basebal ... allot-2018
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Hall of Very Good
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I think Parker deserves it. I also think Murphy belongs too.

Maybe Parker's condition will help him? It shouldn't, as his play on the field was good enough, but can help. Very sad to see Parker go down hill so quickly. I'd vote him in.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

63504C4D4E46704D564A5156474B4C220 wrote: One of the many veterans committees of the Hall of Fame will meet on December 10 and vote on the possible induction of Dave Parker, plus eight other players and Marvin Miller.  Players on the "Modern Game" ballot played the bulk of their careers after 1970.  The ballot: Steve Garvey, Tommy John, Don Mattingly, Marvin Miller, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Dave Parker, Ted Simmons, Luis Tiant and Alan Trammell.

Each person on the committee can vote for four, and the usual 75% is required for induction. If I had a vote, I'd go for John, Simmons, Tiant, and Trammell. Parker would probably come fifth.

https://baseballhall.org/modern-basebal ... allot-2018

Marvin Miller should be in Hall of Fame. (still can't believe Bud Selig is in). I also would vote for Tommy John and Luis Tiant.

Parker, Al Oliver, Simmons I put in hall of very good. I do not think Jack Morris or Garvey should get in.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

I go with Marvin Miller, Luis Tiant, Tommy John and Dale Murphy. Had a difficult time between Garvey and Trammel but went with Garvey due to the power numbers.

Parker has some good years and won a WS but his involvement in the drug trials in Pgh in the mid 80's ruined it for me with him.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

While Marvin Miller was great for the players financially, I don't think that's HOF worthy. In fact, the free agency he ushered in destroyed the competitive balance and created the "haves" vs "have nots" MLB for which we constantly discuss ideas for how this unfortunate situation can be dealt with. If Miller is HOF worthy for making the players rich then agents should be in as well. But if the HOF is for people who enhanced the game itself, Marvin's participation made the game much better for the haves but much worse for the have nots. I don't begrudge the players for getting rich or Miller for making that happen. If the players start a HOF for people who made their lives better, Miller should be the #1 inductee. But I don't understand why he belongs in Cooperstown. Players, managers, commissioners and even announcers who enhanced the game are in the HOF (tho why that includes Selig is a mystery). But a union leader who made the players rich at the expense of the competitive balance of the game, as fans experienced a new problem of watching their favorite players leave for more money while their team deteriorates, is not necessarily in the best interest of the game. The players-yes. The game-no. I'm not criticizing Miller. He was great at his job. He belongs in the HOF of union leaders. But I don't think making players rich is a qualification for Cooperstown.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

694449585F4E59191A2B0 wrote: While Marvin Miller was great for the players financially, I don't think that's HOF worthy. In fact, the free agency he ushered in destroyed the competitive balance and created the "haves" vs "have nots" MLB for which we constantly discuss ideas for how this unfortunate situation can be dealt with. If Miller is HOF worthy for making the players rich then agents should be in as well. But if the HOF is for people who enhanced the game itself, Marvin's participation made the game much better for the haves but much worse for the have nots. I don't begrudge the players for getting rich or Miller for making that happen. If the players start a HOF for people who made their lives better, Miller should be the #1 inductee. But I don't understand why he belongs in Cooperstown. Players, managers, commissioners and even announcers who enhanced the game are in the HOF (tho why that includes Selig is a mystery). But a union leader who made the players rich at the expense of the competitive balance of the game, as fans experienced a new problem of watching their favorite players leave for more money while their team deteriorates, is not necessarily in the best interest of the game. The players-yes. The game-no. I'm not criticizing Miller. He was great at his job. He belongs in the HOF of union leaders. But I don't think making players rich is a qualification for Cooperstown.      

was there really competitive balance before Miller though? The Pirates went from 1927 to 1960 without getting into the World Series when there were only 8 teams. The Senators didn't make it from what 1933 until 1965 (when they were the Twins) The Athletics from 1931 until 1972. I think he belongs as much as any commissioner because of impact on the game. He changed the rules for teams in acquiring players. Getting rid of the reserve clause was a good thing.