Diaz

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Diaz

Post by mouse »

Point of Pittsburgh (http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/dou ... lias-diaz/) had this quote in its current posting --

"It has been evident to me for some time that the Pirates simply don’t believe in Diaz. Rumblings have persisted that neither Huntington nor Hurdle like his game calling ability or pitch framing ability."

I've wondered myself if he was for some reason out of favor. Does this quote sound like an accurate assessment? If it is, then I would assume Stallings is the more likely catcher (or backup) for next year? Or maybe Stewart still?
dmetz

Diaz

Post by dmetz »

"Diaz always got rave reviews for his defense and game calling in the minors, excelling with a plus arm and great work with his pitching staffs" - July 2017

-----------------------------------------------

"Diaz was highly regarded in the minors mostly because of his strong arm and game-calling ability. However, manager Clint Hurdle always suspected Diaz could hit, too.

"I've paid as much attention to his offense as his defense," Hurdle said. "The first two or three years were hard, and then he started catching on offensively three years ago." - Trib June 2017

-------------------------------------------------

2015 minor league catcher of the year.  Accolades all over the place and a ton of writeups about his great defense and gamecalling.

I mean come on,  these are the same folks (hurdle and NH) that promoted Tony Sanchez, one of the saddest excuses of a catcher I've ever seen.  Anyone paying attention knew Sanchez was a mess, but NH drafted him first round, so he got raving reviews right up until it couldn't be hidden anymore that he couldn't hit a barn with a baseball at 132ft.  

Remember the Barmes / Mercer joke?   The org and defenders of hurdles backwardness started floating that Mercer wasn't defensively capable of playing ML shortstop??  It went from range which was and is validly below average to ARM STRENGTH hahaha  A former college closer had people challenging his arm strength.  Can't make that up.   

Mercer was another minor league defensive player of the year, ready to be called up and blocked by a vet who sucked and should have been backing up... just like Diaz.

I don't believe Diaz's treatment has anything to do with his development at all.

It has to do about Cervelli being under contract for 11m per year and his value sinking like a stone, losing time to Diaz further sinks that value.

Also stewart being an old cerebral vet who can't produce; Hurdle LOVES guys like that
Quail

Diaz

Post by Quail »

For those who are avid Pens fans like myself the similarity in managing/coaching styles between Clint Hurdle and former Pens Head Coach Dan Bylsma is increasingly disconcerting.

Dan's obsession with veterenosity famously kept older slugs such as Craig Adams and Rod Scuderi in the lineup. Meanwhile young players were lucky to see any ice time, benched if they made a mistake and consequently their development stagnated. It seems clear that Stewart and Jaso are Clint's version of Adams and Scuderi.
Bobster21

Diaz

Post by Bobster21 »

474E465759230 wrote: "Diaz always got rave reviews for his defense and game calling in the minors, excelling with a plus arm and great work with his pitching staffs" - July 2017

-----------------------------------------------

"Diaz was highly regarded in the minors mostly because of his strong arm and game-calling ability. However, manager Clint Hurdle always suspected Diaz could hit, too.

"I've paid as much attention to his offense as his defense," Hurdle said. "The first two or three years were hard, and then he started catching on offensively three years ago." - Trib June 2017

-------------------------------------------------

2015 minor league catcher of the year.  Accolades all over the place and a ton of writeups about his great defense and gamecalling.

I mean come on,  these are the same folks (hurdle and NH) that promoted Tony Sanchez, one of the saddest excuses of a catcher I've ever seen.  Anyone paying attention knew Sanchez was a mess, but NH drafted him first round, so he got raving reviews right up until it couldn't be hidden anymore that he couldn't hit a barn with a baseball at 132ft.  

Remember the Barmes / Mercer joke?   The org and defenders of hurdles backwardness started floating that Mercer wasn't defensively capable of playing ML shortstop??  It went from range which was and is validly below average to ARM STRENGTH hahaha  A former college closer had people challenging his arm strength.  Can't make that up.   

Mercer was another minor league defensive player of the year, ready to be called up and blocked by a vet who sucked and should have been backing up... just like Diaz.

I don't believe Diaz's treatment has anything to do with his development at all.

It has to do about Cervelli being under contract for 11m per year and his value sinking like a stone, losing time to Diaz further sinks that value. 

Also  stewart being an old cerebral vet who can't produce; Hurdle LOVES guys like that
It's a shame that this organization has put itself in a position of not being believable. But that's what happens when you try to deceive your fanbase too many times. Just about anyone who follows this team is well aware of their blatant penny pinching ways but dumping their 2nd best reliever just to get out of paying him his remaining $660,000 was a surprise only because we didn't realize the cheapness would go that far. But I guess it shouldn't be surprising after they gave up prospects to relinquish Liriano's contract. The excuse that Nicasio was moved to pave the way for others to get the opportunity to pitch in his spot was not convincing. Not when Jaso and Stewart started the next game. So they gave up on the season to let others pitch but they didn't give up on it to let others play. It took another day of fans and media being angry and or distrustful before they decided to play Luplow and Diaz. But at the same time, the pitcher who got Nicasio's inning was Hudson, who has been there all along. They could have merely switched innings for those 2 and kept Nicasio. Ah, but then they'd have to pay him. Now we'll see if starting Diaz and Luplow was a knee jerk reaction to fan discontent or if they will now make a commitment to give them and others a chance. That includes Osuna and Moroff and others besides Hudson in the 8th. No reason Jaso to start any more games. And even Cutch and Marte can get some days off. Hurdle thinks rest is more important than winning anyway. And winning no longer matters this year. Use this month to let some guys get experience.
SCBucco

Diaz

Post by SCBucco »

1B3F2B23264A0 wrote: For those who are avid Pens fans like myself the similarity in managing/coaching styles between Clint Hurdle and former Pens Head Coach Dan Bylsma is increasingly disconcerting.

Dan's obsession with veterenosity famously kept older slugs such as Craig Adams and Rod Scuderi in the lineup. Meanwhile young players were lucky to see any ice time, benched if they made a mistake and consequently their development stagnated. It seems clear that Stewart and Jaso are Clint's version of Adams and Scuderi. 

Good thought. They are very similar. The loveliest with Adams and Scuderi were perplexing. The mess with Scuderi caused Despres to sit. I would rather have seen what Simon could have brought at the time instead of the "piece" that was broken.

We really have a problem developing catchers. Kendall was the last. They draft Sanchez high and he sucked ... traded Reece McGuire in the famed Liriano deal.
SCBucco

Diaz

Post by SCBucco »

44465C5A4C290 wrote: Point of Pittsburgh (http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/dou ... lias-diaz/) had this quote in its current posting --

"It has been evident to me for some time that the Pirates simply don’t believe in Diaz.  Rumblings have persisted that neither Huntington nor Hurdle like his game calling ability or pitch framing ability."

I've wondered myself if he was for some reason out of favor. Does this quote sound like an accurate assessment? If it is, then I would assume Stallings is the more likely catcher (or backup) for next year? Or maybe Stewart still?

The Stewart mention scares me, especially when you consider how cheap our organization is. Maybe he is better behind the plate, but I'd rather have a .250 batter with some pop than a sub .200 guy.
Bobster21

Diaz

Post by Bobster21 »

6676774056565A350 wrote: For those who are avid Pens fans like myself the similarity in managing/coaching styles between Clint Hurdle and former Pens Head Coach Dan Bylsma is increasingly disconcerting.

Good thought.  They are very similar.  The loveliest with Adams and Scuderi were perplexing.  The mess with Scuderi caused Despres to sit.  I would rather have seen what Simon could have brought at the time instead of the "piece" that was broken.

We really have a problem developing catchers.  Kendall was the last.  They draft Sanchez high and he sucked ... traded Reece McGuire in the famed Liriano deal.
I think they're going to regret giving up McGuire. They tried to sell that salary dump trade by saying McGuire and Ramirez were blocked by other prospects (a nice way of saying they aren't in the team's future). McGuire was only 21 years old. And a first round draft pick. So were they saying that after drafting Tony Sanchez they once again used a #1 pick on a catcher with no future? And who was ahead of him? Stallings? Diaz, age 27, who they prefer to have sit while Stewart plays? McGuire's defense was said to be MLB caliber. And this year he has no errors and has thrown out 33% of AA base stealers. He's also hitting .278 with 6 HRs in 115 ABs in AA. Too bad we had all those prospects blocking him.
DemDog

Diaz

Post by DemDog »

193D292124480 wrote: For those who are avid Pens fans like myself the similarity in managing/coaching styles between Clint Hurdle and former Pens Head Coach Dan Bylsma is increasingly disconcerting.

Almost Quail. Adams and Scuderi offered more to the Pens despite their age and declining skills than Stewart and Jaso do for the Pirates!!!!! 8-)
INbuc

Diaz

Post by INbuc »

Well pitched game by the Pirates. And just short of back-to-back shutouts .....both called by Diaz! All the young guys contributed.
INbuc

Diaz

Post by INbuc »

While we are taking about catchers, has anybody noticed Jacob Stallings? He is now up to .298 with a .794 OPS. I am sure nobody would characterize him as the catcher of the future, but he has improved every year. If he had the at bats to qualify, he would have the third best average in the international league.