Giants lose Bumgarner to dirt bike injury.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Sprained AC joint in left shoulder.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

What an idiot. There goes the best pitcher and power source for the Giants.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

5242437462626E010 wrote: What an idiot.  There goes the best pitcher and power source for the Giants.

Yep. Bochy said it best too saying some people think they are invincible. I wonder if he breached his contract?
thessy

Post by thessy »

I'm in the minority, but I don't agree with how harsh some are being on him. He's probably been riding a dirt bike since he was five years old. It may not be the safest hobby in the world, but I don't think the guy should be crucified for being human and trying to do something he enjoys on a rare day off.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

637F7264646E170 wrote: I'm in the minority, but I don't agree with how harsh some are being on him.  He's probably been riding a dirt bike since he was five years old.  It may not be the safest hobby in the world, but I don't think the guy should be crucified for being human and trying to do something he enjoys on a rare day off.

Most contracts forbid this type of hazardous activity. The Giants could void his contract. They won't, because he is very good, but they could.

Sorry, but yes he was dumb in putting himself in that situation. He was dumb for possibly not obeying his contract. He let his team down big time.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

272C24282D2C377274033A222B2C2C6D202C430 wrote: I'm in the minority, but I don't agree with how harsh some are being on him.  He's probably been riding a dirt bike since he was five years old.  It may not be the safest hobby in the world, but I don't think the guy should be crucified for being human and trying to do something he enjoys on a rare day off.

Most contracts forbid this type of hazardous activity.  The Giants could void his contract.  They won't, because he is very good, but they could. 

Sorry, but yes he was dumb in putting himself in that situation.  He was dumb for possibly not obeying his contract.  He let his team down big time. 

I wonder whether teams can still include restrictions on off the field activities.

If it is common, I wonder what activities are typically included.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Yes, it is very common to restrict certain activities off the field. I forget who it was a while ago, but a MLB player lost his contract after getting hurt i a pick-up basketball game.

Jeff Kent made headlines when he said he got hurt "washing his truck" yet people saw him popping wheelies on his motorcycle on the same day.

Here is an old article and how it started with a few examples:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... a917d3fcad