Should We Really Count on Austin Meadows

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Through 61 games at AAA Meadows is hitting .245. I know he is one of the younger players in that league, but so far he has not hitting the cover off the ball. When you look back on players like Cutch, Polanco and Bell they all had very good years at AAA before their recall to Pittsburgh. At this point in the season I am not sure if Meadows should even be a September call up. Success at AAA does not always translate that the player will succeed in the Majors, but I think there should be some concerns that a player who is supposedly going to be an everyday player in the future has had some difficulty with AAA pitching.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

certainly can't expect him to contribute this year.

On the other hand he has less than 400 at bats in AAA and only had less than 200 in AA.

He still is pretty inexperienced in upper minors.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Not only count on Meadows, but count on him to be a total stud. He and Bell are the future and if Meadows does not develop into "a face of the franchise" type player then the Pirates have a "middlin" future before them, at best.

I've shared this on here before: I do not claim to have any eye for prospects, but watching Meadows this spring, he stood out as a big cut above anyone else, even on the major league team. I would go so far as to say "can't miss".

Maybe not this year. Maybe he's being pushed through the system a bit too fast (like Pedro?). But by this time next year I'll be surprised if he's not demonstrating this in Pittsburgh.

If he does not develop, I don't want to think about the impact.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Count on him this year? I never did.

Count on him in the future? Yes, he has all the tools to be a MLB All Star.

He is 22 years old and didn't play College ball. He is still very young. No worries here.
mouse

Post by mouse »

And has only limited time at AA and AAA. He really needs this year to develop. Not doing really well is a help - it'll keep him focused on getting better rather than wondering how soon the call will come.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

He got off to a bad start this season. Then hit .300 for May and is struggling again in June although he has had a pair of 3-hit games this month. It could just be a learning process of adjusting to pitchers who are adjusting to him.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

It's a good reason not to get in a hurry with him. Let him have his full season in AAA.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I think people expect too much from rookies or younger players. People are down on Glasnow and thought he would be a top of the rotation starter.

Teams either build with these young guys or ease them in since there is a good team around them already. The problem is I have no idea where the Pirates are right now.

I didn't expect much from Glasnow or Meadows this year. If McCutchen is traded, I can see Meadows up. But I wouldn't expect him to replace McCutchen's production right away. Bell is another one. I expected his average to be higher with his power. His power is there, his glove has been a good surprise, but I expected at least .260 batting average.

These three can be the new core going forward. I just wouldn't expect it right away. This also why people (me) are down on Polanco. He should be having his break out year this year and it doesn't look like it is going to happen. I hope it is due to injuries and not talent.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

2C272F2326273C797F083129202727662B27480 wrote:

......This also why people (me) are down on Polanco.  He should be having his break out year this year and it doesn't look like it is going to happen.  I hope it is due to injuries and not talent.

Or attitude.

I remember a young rookie in awe of playing RF because of Roberto. Somewhere along the line I saw a young player more influenced by Marte....
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Marte isn't around. I don't think Marte is an attitude problem. I also don't think this team has any attitude problems. That is one great thing about Hurdle. The team could need a new leader (Burnett, Martin) on the player side of things.

I just don't think Marte and Polanco are smart ball players. I at least hope that is the main issue. Talent got them this far, but everyone is talented at this level.

Polanco kind of matched McCutchen's seasons up to this point. This was the year McCutchen broke out (age 25). McCutchen was more polished but the age 24 stats are very similar. Maybe Polanco is a year behind?

We need Polanco to be great when Meadows comes up. That will ease the transition.