Pitching woes

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

iwatch

Pitching woes

Post by iwatch »

Pitching was a weakness for the Bucs this year. But why? What happened to Cole? A suggestion- pitching inside. Remember how certain teams (StL) whined that the Bucs hit batters? This year our hitters were hit more often than any team- 86 times. Yet our pitchers were #17 in HB with 57. Could this be one of the reasons?

I know that the lack of talent is the main reason for struggles but Cole and friends could be more effective pitching inside. Note: Trevor Williams led the team in HB.
INbuc

Pitching woes

Post by INbuc »

6A746277606B030 wrote: Pitching was a weakness for the Bucs this year. But why?  What happened to Cole?  A suggestion- pitching inside. Remember how certain teams (StL) whined that the Bucs hit batters? This year our hitters were hit more often than any team- 86 times. Yet our pitchers were #17 in HB with 57.  Could this be one of the reasons?

I know that the lack of talent is the main reason for struggles but Cole and friends could be more effective pitching inside. Note: Trevor Williams led the team in HB.

Comparatively speaking I would say the offense was a bigger weakness than the pitching, but I do agree with your point. I made a similar post a month or so ago about the lack of pitching inside. Perhaps with so many young pitchers the focus was more on just keeping their heads above water in general than any particular neuance. I feel they need more emphasis on moving hitters off the plate, using more off speed pitches, and working all quadrants of the strike zone. Sounds like I plagerized that from a Baseball for Beginners book.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Pitching woes

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Pitching inside and on the hands is Searage's main strategy. It will be interesting to see the pitching chart break downs.

I think the Pirates have their starting pitching going forward. Pretty young, all healthy for the most part. Glasnow and Keller in the waiting line.
mouse

Pitching woes

Post by mouse »

I agree on the pitching front. I expect off-season activity to be mainly for prospects and possibly an outfielder.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Pitching woes

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

66647E786E0B0 wrote: I agree on the pitching front. I expect off-season activity to be mainly for prospects and possibly an outfielder.

This is why I am hoping they add to the team. With the rotation and the line up pretty much set, I feel they need to add a few pieces and get bullpen help.
SCBucco

Pitching woes

Post by SCBucco »

54564C4A5C390 wrote: I agree on the pitching front. I expect off-season activity to be mainly for prospects and possibly an outfielder.

We will need to add a good starter. Status quo isn't good in this.
CarolinaBucco

Pitching woes

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Agree. They MUST go out and get a proven, legit starter. Yes, it will cost $$$. But they simply can't run the same 5 or 6 guys out there and expect things to change.
IABucFan

Pitching woes

Post by IABucFan »

I'm telling you...blow it up. Cole needs to be on the trading block. Drive for 75...DL would be proud.
OrlandoMerced

Pitching woes

Post by OrlandoMerced »

They finished 13th in the league in runs allowed, that was with three rookies being fixtures in the rotation, a Nova second half collapse and Glasnow pitching 62 dreadful innings.

Glasnow will not be gifted anything at the MLB level and will likely have to earn innings through the ML bullpen. Taillon, Kuhl and Williams, again, were rookies and could be better. Plus Brault and Keller will be in AA.

Sign another late inning relief option and call it a day. Offense rules again, add to that and the pitching will look better.
SammyKhalifa

Pitching woes

Post by SammyKhalifa »

The Pitching is okay but not championship or probably even playoff good.

The offense is not okay and not even .500 good.