9/13 vs Brewers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Tintin

9/13 vs Brewers

Post by Tintin »

2C272F2326273C797F083129202727662B27480 wrote: Three of those walks shouldn't have happened in my opinion. Yeah, Glasnow couldn't get out of the jam, but the strike zone was awful. The box on AT&T showed that assuming it is accurate.

Cy Young's going to give up five runs in 2 2/3 if he can't get correct call of pitches he makes.
Bobster21

9/13 vs Brewers

Post by Bobster21 »

516C6B716C6B050 wrote: Three of those walks shouldn't have happened in my opinion. Yeah, Glasnow couldn't get out of the jam, but the strike zone was awful. The box on AT&T showed that assuming it is accurate.

Cy Young's going to give up five runs in 2 2/3 if he can't get correct call of pitches he makes.
True, but Cy Young probably didn't go to 3-2 on every hitter either.
Ecbucs

9/13 vs Brewers

Post by Ecbucs »

39323A363332296C6A1D243C353232733E325D0 wrote: Three of those walks shouldn't have happened in my opinion. Yeah, Glasnow couldn't get out of the jam, but the strike zone was awful. The box on AT&T showed that assuming it is accurate.

Why was Anderson (and LeBlanc) able to throw many more strikes percentage wise than Glasnow?

Was the ump calling their pitches differently? Is their control that much better? I expect that the team does go over the pitch chart pretty carefully with someone like Glasnow to analyze and hopefully help him improve.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

9/13 vs Brewers

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't know, I turned the game off after Glasnow got removed. Good question, though.

We know Glasnow doesn't have great control. Getting bad calls won't help that either. He threw one right down the middle (no lie) and was called a ball. Diaz was shocked, Hurdle got ejected.

I sure hope the Pirates complain about this game. Maybe we will get a true answer or, my favorite, an apology?
Ecbucs

9/13 vs Brewers

Post by Ecbucs »

676C64686D6C773234437A626B6C6C2D606C030 wrote: I don't know, I turned the game off after Glasnow got removed. Good question, though.

We know Glasnow doesn't have great control. Getting bad calls won't help that either. He threw one right down the middle (no lie) and was called a ball. Diaz was shocked, Hurdle got ejected.

I sure hope the Pirates complain about this game. Maybe we will get a true answer or, my favorite, an apology?

Yeah I saw the pitch fx of the "ball" hope that makes some national highlights.

Looks the drive for 75 will start in Cincinnati.
mouse

9/13 vs Brewers

Post by mouse »

I'm not sure it helps that Diaz keeps setting up in different places behind the plate. On the one pitch he was essentially off the plate and had to lunge for a pitch over the plate that was also called a ball. No doubt there's good reason for it, but somehow I think it would be helpful if he centered himself a bit more. At some level that has to affect an umpire's judgment.
dmetz

9/13 vs Brewers

Post by dmetz »

Didn't he walk 6 in 3 innings?
rucker59@gmail.com

9/13 vs Brewers

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

565F574648320 wrote: Didn't he walk 6 in 3 innings?

Ump messed with him. But he had already walked two I believe.

Never seen anything like this situation: utterly dominate in AAA (and every step) and utterly useless at ML.
johnfluharty

9/13 vs Brewers

Post by johnfluharty »

But if you look closely at his AAA numbers you see that his percentage of strikes thrown is nothing impressive and he did not exactly go deep in games. That had me concerned. Glasnow is just not a strike thrower. I'm not giving up on the 'new' Glasnow after one start tho. I hope they run him out there every 5th day the rest of the season. Maybe he just lost that new aggressiveness he supposedly found in AAA. In any case, each loss improves our draft position, right?
pghpaulatl

9/13 vs Brewers

Post by pghpaulatl »

One positive take away was his curve and change up looked pretty good, maybe if Diaz called more of them and spotted the fastball, which looked to me that he didn't have much command of, he may have done better.

But still horrible calls by HP ump.