Who would be a good pickup to Play 3rd if Kang fails

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7E4C40405466454C41444B4C2D0 wrote: I hope so.  I know people were discussing it during the season but at the time I dismissed it as wishful thinking.  Don't think he'd be a game changer over there but it should sure do wonders for his future on the 25 man.

if he is capable at third he could make Freese expendable.
BenM

Post by BenM »

18393118333B5C0 wrote: John Drekker from Pirates Prospects is reporting that Jose Osuna expects to be ready for the Venezuelan Winter League in 7-10 days and that Osuna expects to play 3b about 4 days per week.  Is this another hat to throw in the ring if Kang is unavailable?  Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Venezuela can still pull off a winter league? That country is falling apart. Francisco Cervelli wrote a really sobering article on how bad it is for the Players Tribune.
DemDog

Post by DemDog »

57707B58150 wrote: John Drekker from Pirates Prospects is reporting that Jose Osuna expects to be ready for the Venezuelan Winter League in 7-10 days and that Osuna expects to play 3b about 4 days per week.  Is this another hat to throw in the ring if Kang is unavailable?  Will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Venezuela can still pull off a winter league? That country is falling apart. Francisco Cervelli wrote a really sobering article on how bad it is for the Players Tribune.

Apparently their love of baseball is overcoming the political situation there. But I agree, it sure seems unlikely to be pulled off but they are already playing games per Drekker.
BucsFaninGA

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Osuna was heavy sought after last season according to Neal Huntington. The kid did show a decent arm when he played the OF and threw out three runners against the Phils back in July. And yes, other times, misplayed flyballs into hits or extra bases. I know he has played first base for years, the move to the OF was an option to get him more ABs. I would love to see Jose become an option and tool that could add value to the big club. The Bucs have had some good luck with players who were good hitters and not so great as fielders. Mike Easler comes to mind immediately as he could flat out hit...Time will tell. Beat'em Bucs

INbuc

Post by INbuc »

2017011124030C0B0C2523620 wrote: Osuna was heavy sought after last season according to Neal Huntington. The kid did show a decent arm when he played the OF and threw out three runners against the Phils back in July. And yes, other times, misplayed flyballs into hits or extra bases. I know he has played first base for years, the move to the OF was an option to get him more ABs. I would love to see Jose become an option and tool that could add value to the big club. The Bucs have had some good luck with players who were good hitters and not so great as fielders. Mike Easler comes to mind immediately as he could flat out hit...Time will tell. Beat'em Bucs

Early in the season I thought Osuna might be a real contributor at some point during the year. But overall I was pretty disappointed in his play. His outfield defense was pathetic, and late in the season his at-bats seemed completely unproductive. Review of his stats showed he was 7 for 52 (.134) in August and September.

Of course most of those at-bats were as a pinch hitter, and it is hard to develop a groove when used so sparingly. Nonetheless, I think it would be a real reach to 1) think he would develop into a proficient 3B so quickly, and 2) have the confidence of management to be the bat so desperately needed at that position. I do hope he continues to develop and can find a role help this team.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

292E021503600 wrote: Osuna was heavy sought after last season according to Neal Huntington. The kid did show a decent arm when he played the OF and threw out three runners against the Phils back in July. And yes, other times, misplayed flyballs into hits or extra bases. I know he has played first base for years, the move to the OF was an option to get him more ABs. I would love to see Jose become an option and tool that could add value to the big club. The Bucs have had some good luck with players who were good hitters and not so great as fielders. Mike Easler comes to mind immediately as he could flat out hit...Time will tell. Beat'em Bucs

Early in the season I thought Osuna might be a real contributor at some point during the year.  But overall I was pretty disappointed in his play.  His outfield defense was pathetic, and late in the season his at-bats seemed completely unproductive.  Review of his stats showed he was 7 for 52 (.134) in August and September. 

Of course most of those at-bats were as a pinch hitter, and it is hard to develop a groove when used so sparingly.  Nonetheless, I think it would be a real reach to 1) think he would develop into a proficient 3B so quickly, and 2) have the confidence of management to be the bat so desperately needed at that position.  I do hope he continues to develop and can find a role help this team.   

INbuc, I totally agree. I like Osuna. But as players all say, the more you play the easier it gets. He came up with no MLB experience and played very sporadically. So I won't hold his hitting problems against him. He showed power and promise if he ever got a chance to play more regularly. But he also showed he has no business in the OF. He was like a water buffalo out there. On the other hand I had never heard complaints about his 1B defense in the minors. But he's blocked here by Bell. The only asset he had in the OF was a terrific arm. If he's used to handling smashes at 1B, maybe he can also handle 3B. With Jaso gone, I suspect Freese will now backup both 3B and 1B while someone else (S-Rod?) starts at 3B. So I don't think Osuna stays as a 3rd string 1Bman and desperation outfielder. I think it's more likely Osuna will be traded to someone looking for 1B help. Unless he wows the Bucs by looking sharp at 3B. I hope he stays but I doubt he does.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

5C717C6D6A7B6C2C2F1E0 wrote: Osuna was heavy sought after last season according to Neal Huntington. The kid did show a decent arm when he played the OF and threw out three runners against the Phils back in July. And yes, other times, misplayed flyballs into hits or extra bases. I know he has played first base for years, the move to the OF was an option to get him more ABs. I would love to see Jose become an option and tool that could add value to the big club. The Bucs have had some good luck with players who were good hitters and not so great as fielders. Mike Easler comes to mind immediately as he could flat out hit...Time will tell. Beat'em Bucs

Early in the season I thought Osuna might be a real contributor at some point during the year.  But overall I was pretty disappointed in his play.  His outfield defense was pathetic, and late in the season his at-bats seemed completely unproductive.  Review of his stats showed he was 7 for 52 (.134) in August and September. 

Of course most of those at-bats were as a pinch hitter, and it is hard to develop a groove when used so sparingly.  Nonetheless, I think it would be a real reach to 1) think he would develop into a proficient 3B so quickly, and 2) have the confidence of management to be the bat so desperately needed at that position.  I do hope he continues to develop and can find a role help this team.   

INbuc, I totally agree. I like Osuna. But as players all say, the more you play the easier it gets. He came up with no MLB experience and played very sporadically. So I won't hold his hitting problems against him. He showed power and promise if he ever got a chance to play more regularly. But he also showed he has no business in the OF. He was like a water buffalo out there. On the other hand I had never heard complaints about his 1B defense in the minors. But he's blocked here by Bell. The only asset he had in the OF was a terrific arm. If he's used to handling smashes at 1B, maybe he can also handle 3B. With Jaso gone, I suspect Freese will now backup both 3B and 1B while someone else (S-Rod?) starts at 3B. So I don't think Osuna stays as a 3rd string 1Bman and desperation outfielder. I think it's more likely Osuna will be traded to someone looking for 1B help. Unless he wows the Bucs by looking sharp at 3B. I hope he stays but I doubt he does. 

The return of Pedro Alvarez.
BenM

Post by BenM »

Kang, 8 for 70 one home run in Dominican ball this winter.

(.114/.195/.143)
mouse

Post by mouse »

Perhaps he's disheartened to know he won't be returning to MLB this coming year.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4C4E545244210 wrote: Perhaps he's disheartened to know he won't be returning to MLB this coming year.

maybe he hasn't done anything but sit around since last winter