REALITY

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

REALITY

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't think they make moves for PR reasons. They have cut many "mistakes" over the years after those players were their big acquisitions.

Personally, I think they need to add to the bullpen, add a few position players (only need one starter in the field) and hope for no major injuries. I just don't know who they would replace from their current team. That is my opinion, but we will see what they do.
SammyKhalifa

REALITY

Post by SammyKhalifa »

If they're going to add, they need SP, 3B and OF. Pen too I guess, but there are always comings and goings in every bullpen year to year and it seems harder to know who is on the downturn and who is poised to have a comeback.
CarolinaBucco

REALITY

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Here's how I see team needs, in order of priority:

SP

3B (assuming no Kang)

SP

Bullpen

Bullpen

I feel the same way I felt last offseason. This team desperately needs to go out and bring in TWO legitimate, proven, major league starters. A couple of No. 2 caliber starters. And, ideally, at least one of them, maybe both, would be lefties.

I realize there is no chance of that happening. But that's what this team needs. Are we really going to trust Cole again? Nova? Glasnow? And the same crew as last year, which, overall, was extremely mediocre. That's not nearly good enough.

I can't believe we'll enter 2018 with the same collection of starting pitchers as last year ... but I know it's going to happen.

This team needs to build around the park and load up with quality left-handers and LH power, and of course we haven't done either for some reason.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

REALITY

If Cole and Nova are on the team, they will be in the rotation. Those two would probably be in every rotation in all of baseball too. Especially, Cole.

Taillon is going to be special and has performed. Let's see if he has a cancer free season. No way he is going to be replaced.

Kuhl and Williams came on very strong at the end of the season. They had ERAs of 3.63 and 3.35 in the second half of the season. I just don't see them being replaced.

They need an outfielder for the bench. Hopefully, one with power. They need either a 3B or 2B (Harrison can fill in). They need some bullpen help. I just don't see Marte, McCutchen, Polanco, Harrison, Bell, Mercer, or Cervelli being replaced/benched if they aren't traded.
dmetz

REALITY

Post by dmetz »

2229212D2829327771063F272E2929682529460 wrote: If Cole and Nova are on the team, they will be in the rotation.  Those two would probably be in every rotation in all of baseball too. Especially, Cole.

Taillon is going to be special and has performed.  Let's see if he has a cancer free season.  No way he is going to be replaced.

Kuhl and Williams came on very strong at the end of the season.  They had ERAs of 3.63 and 3.35 in the second half of the season.  I just don't see them being replaced.

They need an outfielder for the bench.  Hopefully, one with power.  They need either a 3B or 2B (Harrison can fill in).  They need some bullpen help.  I just don't see Marte, McCutchen, Polanco, Harrison, Bell, Mercer, or Cervelli being replaced/benched if they aren't traded.   

3b or 2b should be capitalized. it must be an impact bat or you might as well punt the season away, if all you're doing is picking up a 4th OF otherwise.

If it's a blah 3bman or 2bman, it's over.

SammyKhalifa

REALITY

Post by SammyKhalifa »

262D25292C2D367375023B232A2D2D6C212D420 wrote: If Cole and Nova are on the team, they will be in the rotation.  Those two would probably be in every rotation in all of baseball too. Especially, Cole.

Taillon is going to be special and has performed.  Let's see if he has a cancer free season.  No way he is going to be replaced.

Kuhl and Williams came on very strong at the end of the season.  They had ERAs of 3.63 and 3.35 in the second half of the season.  I just don't see them being replaced.

They need an outfielder for the bench.  Hopefully, one with power.  They need either a 3B or 2B (Harrison can fill in).  They need some bullpen help.  I just don't see Marte, McCutchen, Polanco, Harrison, Bell, Mercer, or Cervelli being replaced/benched if they aren't traded.   

Tallion and Cole need to be great. if they aren't then nobody we can acquire is really going to do anything for us.

I don't know who of the rest is out but if we're going to improve we need someone to slot in right behind/beside those two. That would take us from an acceptable rotation to one that looks really good.

When say outfielder, I don't necessarily mean everyday starter but I do mean really good backup that could take several starts a week or take over for one of the starters if necessary. Our starters could/maybe/might be good but I want to be prepared if not.

IABucFan

REALITY

Post by IABucFan »

Regarding third base, my fear is that they already feel like they addressed that with Rodriguez. So, we get two back-ups to split time over there. Great.

As for the rotation, this is actually the one area of our team where I don't really feel like an upgrade is needed. I honestly feel like Cole, Taillon, Nova, Kuhl, Williams, Glasnow, Brault, Kingham, Holmes should be fine. That's a decent 1-9. I'd love to have somebody along the lines of Kershaw, but that isn't happening.

Regardless, I just don't think we have the star power to compete. And I don't see it happening for a couple of years. I'd trade McCutchen, Harrison, Cervelli, Polanco, Marte, Mercer, and Cole for starters. Build around Bell and Taillon. Tank 2018 and 2019. Make 2020 your aim to be a 100 win team.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

REALITY

I don't get the thought process in saying these guys aren't good enough to win, but will get a good return if traded.  Why would Polanco or Cervelli bring a return if they can't or shouldn't start for the Pirates?

People think these guys can return a star player? Or are you hoping on recently drafted players?
IABucFan

REALITY

Post by IABucFan »

777C74787D7C672224536A727B7C7C3D707C130 wrote: I don't get the thought process in saying these guys aren't good enough to win, but will get a good return if traded.  Why would Polanco or Cervelli bring a return if they can't or shouldn't start for the Pirates? 

People think these guys can return a star player?  Or are you hoping on recently drafted players?

Oh, I don't have any illusions about that. It's not just the Pirates anymore that are coveting prospects. Every team, even the Yankees, do it. It's why the Moancada/Sale trade was such a big deal. Those types of prospects just don't get moved all that much anymore.

None of those guys are going to bring back a star prospect. The only way you get stars in MLB anymore is to draft them or sign them as IFAs. Teams don't trade them, and by the time they reach FA, they are frequently in their decline years (see McCutchen, Andrew).

NH has a monumental task in front of him. I'd say the state of the franchise isn't quite as dire as it was when NH took over, but it's not much better. We have a better farm system, and more talent at the MLB level. But, as I look at our farm, I don't see a future MVP caliber player like we had when NH took over. I don't see a future CY winner, though Keller might be.

In short, I think the OP is correct. We are light years behind the Dodgers, Astros, Cubs, and Yankees, and each of those teams has much more $$$ than we do. Do I think the Pirates can ever compete in MLB? In a word...no.
IABucFan

REALITY

Post by IABucFan »

As a follow up, look at how the Astros build their team.

Here is a list of the FAs (not International FAs) who signed with the Astros:

Charlie Morton

Luke Gregorson

Will Harris

Juan Centeno

Carlos Beltran

That's it.  Not exactly an All Star team.  Every other player on their 25 man WS roster was either A) drafted by the Astros, B) acquired in a trade, C) signed as an IFA (notably includes Altuve and Gurriel) or D) picked up on waivers. The one that sticks out to me is Dallas Keuchel, drafted in the 7th round in 2009. Where is our Keuchel? Everyone knew to expect great things from Correa and Springer. Even McCullers was a first round pick. But Keuchel?

https://www.si.com/mlb/2017/10/27/how-a ... -assembled