Four players that define the Neal Huntington era

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

797B616771140 wrote: I don't see how you can compare GMs without taking budgets into consideration. If NH had the Nationals budget I'm sure he could do some positive things as well.

Budget definitely is a big factor I'm sure NH could make positive moves but not sure if he is bold enough to make moves to get team over the top.

Of course the Nats haven't won a pennant yet either.

Still, unless Nutting has changed and is giving NH a bigger budget to work with I would say NH signing on for 4 more years is not a positive as far as fans go. If NH really wants to put together a championship team and knows he has to do it with same resources as before, I take that as a bad sign.

He should be looking for a situation where he could win a championship.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Rizzo's teams have made the playoffs the same amount of time as Huntington's teams in one less year.

There are only 30 GM jobs in baseball. It wasn't like Huntington was a free agent and can shop around. If he is wanted by another team, he can still go. People back out of contracts all the time. I just assume there would be a buy out or a trade made.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Here are the top players drafted by NH based on bWAR

Cole 12.4

Mercer 7.4

Alvarez 5.8

Holt 5.1

Wilson 4.5

Taillon 2.9

Kuhl 2.6

Grossman 2.5

TOTAL 43.2

Here are the top players drafted by the Nationals during the same time, excluding Strasburg and Harper

Rendon 16.6

Ray 7.5

Espinosa 7.4

Storen 5.3

Milone 3.3

Karns 3.2

Taylor 2.1

Burns 1.8

TOTAL 47.2

Even ignoring two 1st round picks, the National have drafted better than the Pirates.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6A4A5944452B0 wrote: Here are the top players drafted by NH based on bWAR

Cole 12.4

Mercer 7.4

Alvarez 5.8

Holt 5.1

Wilson 4.5

Taillon 2.9

Kuhl 2.6

Grossman 2.5

TOTAL 43.2

Here are the top players drafted by the Nationals during the same time, excluding Strasburg and Harper

Rendon 16.6

Ray 7.5

Espinosa 7.4

Storen 5.3

Milone 3.3

Karns 3.2

Taylor 2.1

Burns 1.8

TOTAL 47.2

Even ignoring two 1st round picks, the National have drafted better than the Pirates.

Drafting is my biggest issue with Huntington. He needs to score a big draft pick. I want to see a player rise through the system and make a major league impact (impact) for the Pirates.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7279717D7879622721566F777E7979387579160 wrote: Rizzo's teams have made the playoffs the same amount of time as Huntington's teams in one less year.

There are only 30 GM jobs in baseball.  It wasn't like Huntington was a free agent and can shop around.  If he is wanted by another team, he can still go.  People back out of contracts all the time.  I just assume there would be a buy out or a trade made.

My point was that Huntington could have become a free agent if he wanted.

Rizzo didn't become Nats GM until 2009. This year will make 6 winning seasons in a row and 4th division winner out of last 6.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

5A7C7D6A7C6C1F0 wrote: Rizzo's teams have made the playoffs the same amount of time as Huntington's teams in one less year.

There are only 30 GM jobs in baseball.  It wasn't like Huntington was a free agent and can shop around.  If he is wanted by another team, he can still go.  People back out of contracts all the time.  I just assume there would be a buy out or a trade made.

My point was that Huntington could have become a free agent if he wanted. 

Rizzo didn't become Nats GM until 2009.  This year will make 6 winning seasons in a row and 4th division winner out of last 6.

My point is that GMs don't just become free agents. They get offers/interviews from other teams while still under contract with their current team. Huntington wasn't going to not sign in hopes he got a job somewhere else. That job doesn't always exist.

Rizzo has done a very good job. If a knock on Huntington is not winning a Playoff Series, or an NL Pennant or a World Series, the same can be said about Rizzo.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I think they're going to win it all this year though.

(so hurry up and put down your money AGAINST that happening as I'm never right)
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Bold is the right word. As people point out daily, he's playing with a bad deck. He has a budget that hamstrings him.

He has to draft and he has to make bold moves to compensate.

It's like one of those guys at the poker table with a low chip stack. He can't sit there and play it conservative and get a championship. He has to be agressive and he just hasn't been.

But when "competitive" is the goal instead of "championship", perhaps that's all by design
notes34

Post by notes34 »

252C24353B410 wrote: Bold is the right word.  As people point out daily, he's playing with a bad deck.  He has a budget that hamstrings him.

He has to draft and he has to make bold moves to compensate. 

It's like one of those guys at the poker table with a low chip stack.  He can't sit there and play it conservative and get a championship.   He has to be agressive and he just hasn't been.

But when "competitive" is the goal instead of "championship", perhaps that's all by design
Right he has sat on prospects when it appeared there were deals for real MLB talent available. He wouldn't make the move, because he is always looking at staying competitive. When he did try to make a move he traded Walker for a washed up pitcher. We needed a fresh start. I don't like the fact these guys are all back. Sorry we need a change.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

4E6E7D60610F0 wrote: These four broke our hearts and no doubt caused Neal many sleepless nights.

There is absolutely nothing related to the Pirates that causes NH to have even a single sleepless night.

Ever. Not one time.

If there is anyone that doesn't even remotely have to be concerned about his job performance, it's Neal Huntington.

If you need any evidence, take a look at his four year contract extension that was announced last week.

Agree obviously the owner is only concerned about keeping the profits high, but that can only last for so long with a bad team and he's going to find that out. It's time he holds the FO accountable for what they put on the field.