Who would be a good pickup to Play 3rd if Kang fails

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

RichD

Post by RichD »

Well the Giants would probably take a prospect for Pablo Sandoval.He would only cost the MLB min.salary. He could platoon  with Freese .We could use a lefty bat .We might squeeze 250/20/70 out of them both, not too bad batting 6th or 7th spot.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

547974656273642427160 wrote: Josh Donaldson might be traded this off season. The Pirates should at least be in the talks if he is being shopped.
He made 17 million last year and is eligible for arbitration now. He's coming off a .270/.385/.559 season with 33 HRs. Toronto can either nontender him or give him arbitration (unless he agrees to a new deal with them). He can't be shopped unless he is under contract, which means an increase over his 17 million of this season. If he's nontendered he'll go to the highest bidder, which no doubt will be an increase over last season. What is it about the Pirates' way of operating that makes you think they would acquire a 17+ million player?

Assuming he signs arbitration, he then could be traded. Toronto is probably going to unload a bunch of guys.

People like the "all in" scenario and if that happens, Donaldson could be that guy. Yes, a long shot. But Donaldson on one year deal might entice the Pirates. They would get Kang back in 2019.

Question was who would be a good pick up. Donaldson would need to be traded for, but I would consider him a good pick up.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Players like Donaldson fall into that 'it's nice to think about' category. Realistically, I think NH will have a budget of about 95MM, with instructions to put together the best team he can for that amount. The Sandoval suggestion is a good idea. He could be an outside answer at third.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

4A48525442270 wrote: Players like Donaldson fall into that 'it's nice to think about' category. Realistically, I think NH will have a budget of about 95MM, with instructions to put together the best team he can for that amount. The Sandoval suggestion is a good idea. He could be an outside answer at third.

Agree. Doesn't this management team want at least one big splash? Littlefield made some weird moves when he knew he was headed out. Will Huntington try something too? I know he just signed a new deal, but that doesn't really mean anything. To me, it means they aren't starting over and need to add to the current team.

Donaldson will be 32 next season. The Cardinals are in need a of a third baseman too. I just hope it at least crosses the Pirates mind.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

24263C3A2C490 wrote: Players like Donaldson fall into that 'it's nice to think about' category. Realistically, I think NH will have a budget of about 95MM, with instructions to put together the best team he can for that amount. The Sandoval suggestion is a good idea. He could be an outside answer at third.

NH doesn't have the stones to make that deal. Nutting wouldn't give him the go ahead if he did.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

6B69737563060 wrote: Players like Donaldson fall into that 'it's nice to think about' category. Realistically, I think NH will have a budget of about 95MM, with instructions to put together the best team he can for that amount. The Sandoval suggestion is a good idea. He could be an outside answer at third.
Sandoval is not an answer. Donaldson would be at the top of my wish list but you are correct it is a dream. Imagine if we operated like a real franchise for a minute.

1. Harrison - 2nd

2. Marte- LF

3. Cutch- CF

4. Donaldson- 3rd

5. Bell- 1st

6. Polanco- RF

7. Cervelli- C

8. Mercer- SS

That is a good lineup. Consider that would allow S-ROD, Frazier and Moroff on the bench.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7F747C7075746F2A2C5B627A7374743578741B0 wrote: Josh Donaldson might be traded this off season. The Pirates should at least be in the talks if he is being shopped.

LOL ... as I said fantasies.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

133E33222534236360510 wrote: Josh Donaldson might be traded this off season. The Pirates should at least be in the talks if he is being shopped.
He made 17 million last year and is eligible for arbitration now. He's coming off a .270/.385/.559 season with 33 HRs. Toronto can either nontender him or give him arbitration (unless he agrees to a new deal with them). He can't be shopped unless he is under contract, which means an increase over his 17 million of this season. If he's nontendered he'll go to the highest bidder, which no doubt will be an increase over last season. What is it about the Pirates' way of operating that makes you think they would acquire a 17+ million player?

Exactly
notes34

Post by notes34 »

2F242C2025243F7A7C0B322A2324246528244B0 wrote: Players like Donaldson fall into that 'it's nice to think about' category. Realistically, I think NH will have a budget of about 95MM, with instructions to put together the best team he can for that amount. The Sandoval suggestion is a good idea. He could be an outside answer at third.

Agree.  Doesn't this management team want at least one big splash?  Littlefield made some weird moves when he knew he was headed out.  Will Huntington try something too?  I know he just signed a new deal, but that doesn't really mean anything.  To me, it means they aren't starting over and need to add to the current team.

Donaldson will be 32 next season.  The Cardinals are in need a of a third baseman too.  I just hope it at least crosses the Pirates mind.
I think it means they could rebuild and his new deal will allow him the security to do so. I would love Donaldson but its a dream. We have our 3rd on the roster for next season. Freese/S-Rod.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

3D3C2736206067530 wrote: Players like Donaldson fall into that 'it's nice to think about' category. Realistically, I think NH will have a budget of about 95MM, with instructions to put together the best team he can for that amount. The Sandoval suggestion is a good idea. He could be an outside answer at third.

Agree.  Doesn't this management team want at least one big splash?  Littlefield made some weird moves when he knew he was headed out.  Will Huntington try something too?  I know he just signed a new deal, but that doesn't really mean anything.  To me, it means they aren't starting over and need to add to the current team.

Donaldson will be 32 next season.  The Cardinals are in need a of a third baseman too.  I just hope it at least crosses the Pirates mind.
I think it means they could rebuild and his new deal will allow him the security to do so. I would love Donaldson but its a dream. We have our 3rd on the roster for next season. Freese/S-Rod.

I think this is right. The Pirates most likely have third way down on their list of improvements for 2018. The team considers third to be set.

As far as Sandoval goes, it appears that the Giants plan on keeping him. They only need to pay his minimum salary with Red Sox paying rest so he is pretty much a risk free try out for Giants.