Cardinals vs Pirate Series Thread

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

67604C5B4D2E0 wrote: The front end of the bullpen looked good tonight with Neverauskas and Kontos.   Nicasio got popped by Dejong, who was drafted by the Bucs as a catcher in 2014.  He now has 33 HR this year between AAA and St. Louis.  How would you like that kind of power behind the plate?    And speaking of power, Osuna's homer was a missile.   Good win.
Drafted by Pirates in the 38th round. Chose not to sign and was drafted the following year by St.L in the 4th round. Must've had a good year in college to move up 34 rounds.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

I guess we're past the point where it's sensible to say if they do this, this and this, they can win the division. Today's goal is just to get to within 4 games of .500. But the occasional, random win is always more fun to watch than the many losses. During the 20 year losing streak, it rarely mattered what place they were in or how many games behind. But the occasional wins were fun to watch. Yesterday's game was nice. The division flew out the window the 2nd week of the season when the FO punted. But hopefully, we'll have some enjoyable games to watch thru the end of the season. It would be nice to see what Diaz and Osuna could do with more PT. Why not?
INbuc

Post by INbuc »

I am with you Bobster and I know there will be some great wins to come. Of course there will be some mind-numbing losses as well. But the only thing worse than watching the Bucs play poorly is not being able to watch them at all. I have teams I follow in other sports that are in the Championship hunt every year, but the Pirates are my special project-- and have been for about 50 years. While this team isn't built for a title, they could be next year. We just need Nutting to allow Neal to make a few bold moves --- the type that didn't occur this year.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

Time to let some of these young guys play. Diaz, Frazier, Osuna. I think all three could be really good pieces. Personally I like Stew, but ic he starts over Diaz I'll go crazy.

One of two things must happen this off season: the Pirates make a significant investment into this team OR dismantle boldly.

In any case, I'm curious whether Osuna can play 3rd or RF.

In either case, I hope they trade either Marte or Polanco for a huge haul.

In either case I hope they sign Cutch.

Time to watch the young guys which is always fun.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

7770666E6077303C456268646C692B666A68050 wrote: Time to let some of these young guys play.  Diaz, Frazier, Osuna. I think all three could be really good pieces.  Personally I like Stew, but ic he starts over Diaz I'll go crazy.

One of two things must happen this off season: the Pirates make a significant investment into this team OR dismantle boldly.

In any case, I'm curious whether Osuna can play 3rd or RF. 

In either case, I hope they trade either Marte or Polanco for a huge haul.

In either case I hope they sign Cutch.

Time to watch the young guys which is always fun.   

Polanco at this juncture is an enigma. You aren't going to get a huge haul for him. I'm interested to see over a longer sample size Marte's numbers. Not sure based on his suspension, you get a huge haul for him.

You can hope they resign Cutch. I would imagine the guy wants to win. If he does, why on earth resign here? The owner won't allow our GM to put a roster together that can win a league title, let alone a division. We need to trade him in the offseason. That could get a good haul.
BenM

Post by BenM »

5848497E6868640B0 wrote:

Polanco at this juncture is an enigma. 

Polanco is so frustrating. There are times when you see glimpses of a guy that could be a legit five tool player. But he has yet to get the most out of any one of them.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Polanco is a young guy. He was showing signs and then got hurt again. It's just been one of those years for him, lets hope. No way would I give up on him and play others over him in RF.