Who would be a good pickup to Play 3rd if Kang fails

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

405D797B75100 wrote: You asked two questions.  Who do posters think they should target and who will they target?

I think they should target Moustakas.  If he is under $20 million a year for 4 years or less.  They should definitely do that.  He is in prime years, has a history, plays good defense, and is a good character guy.  Exactly the piece they should get.

I think they will get no one.  They won't lock anyone into third base (or second) for that matter.  Why?  Because "position flexibility" is the most important thing.  Osuna, Harrison, and Rodriguez will play at third.  Frazier, Moroff, Harrison, and Rodriguez will play second.  Hurdle will have so much fun messing with lineups before and during games.

PMike, when you put it like this, it is clear that everything is ok. If Clint can just get those match ups right most of the time, playoffs here we come. :)
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

163031263020530 wrote: You asked two questions.  Who do posters think they should target and who will they target?

I think they should target Moustakas.  If he is under $20 million a year for 4 years or less.  They should definitely do that.  He is in prime years, has a history, plays good defense, and is a good character guy.  Exactly the piece they should get.

I think they will get no one.  They won't lock anyone into third base (or second) for that matter.  Why?  Because "position flexibility" is the most important thing.  Osuna, Harrison, and Rodriguez will play at third.  Frazier, Moroff, Harrison, and Rodriguez will play second.  Hurdle will have so much fun messing with lineups before and during games.

PMike, when you put it like this, it is clear that everything is ok.  If Clint can just get those match ups right most of the time, playoffs here we come. :)

Come on now--he didn't do that when we had a real third baseman.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Clearly, the flexibility was not high enough before.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

28232B272223387D7B0C352D242323622F234C0 wrote: I wanted Frazier a few years ago, now I am not so sure. He still hits for power, but he now reminds me more of a Pedro Alvarez at the plate. He has hit in the low .200's the last couple years.

I just think a team will over pay for Frazier. Frazier would be better than anyone the Pirates currently have, but could be a bad contract depending on the direction of the team.

The only thing that makes Todd Frazier possible is the fact that his average is low.  Frazier is gettable on a 2 year deal. 2 years 10-12 per and it's done.   That's not risky because if we don't compete, he's off the books quick

Moustaskas is going to be too expensive and would be a much riskier contract because he's getting at least 4 years 20 per.

I just don't understand.  The parameters are not possible in pirateland.  We need a big splash 3bman. 2 that would work are available FAs. The one that is guaranteed is too expensive and risky. The one that has warts is also "too risky" because of the warts

When a guy is good, he's too expensive  and requires too long of a commitment. Too risky.   When a guy is bad enough at certain aspects of his game, or old enough to fall into our "market" he's too risky or too flawed.

We simply must find power and slugging for this offense to get good again. 

Guess it's up to the guys already rostered
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Another guy that is gettable is Jay Bruce. Same story. He's gettable because his average is low. 30 hrs in the bank plus solid RF defense.

Both Bruce and Frazier have what we need and aren't well rounded enough to require either long term years or big money by today's standards. Both would be off the books if we fail, which is more likely than not.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I don't think a starting outfielder will be had unless one is moved. I can't see them benching Polanco or Marte.

I wonder what these power guys will get on the market. Like I said, last year they didn't get the deals they thought as teams went with the on-base guys.

I don't know what Frazier will get, but I assume it will be high. He is a big name, plays defense, and is a nice guy. Not just for the Pirates, but I feel he will be overpaid in general. He could be any team's big acquisition. With that said, I do like Frazier and would take him in a heartbeat.
notes34

Post by notes34 »

474E465759230 wrote: Another guy that is gettable is Jay Bruce.  Same story.  He's gettable because his average is low.   30 hrs in the bank plus solid RF defense.

Both Bruce and Frazier have what we need and aren't well rounded enough to require either long term years or big money by today's standards.  Both would be off the books if we fail, which is more likely than not.
I would love Bruce. I have advocated picking him up before. I am done with Polanco. Bruce is a consistent major league bat and he is attainable.
mouse

Post by mouse »

Quail

Post by Quail »

Bribing an immigration official to get Kang back into the U.S. is probably the plan that best fits the Pirates financial flexibility requirements for adding a power bat at 3B.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

262F273638420 wrote: Another guy that is gettable is Jay Bruce.  Same story.  He's gettable because his average is low.   30 hrs in the bank plus solid RF defense.

Both Bruce and Frazier have what we need and aren't well rounded enough to require either long term years or big money by today's standards.  Both would be off the books if we fail, which is more likely than not.

Hey, I like both of your suggestions over Moustakas. Todd Frazier drew a ton of walks so who cares if he has a low BA.