Diaz must be back up after Allstar game

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

7B70787471706B2E285F667E777070317C701F0 wrote: I would think back up catchers play less than anyone else on the team.  They rarely pinch hit or get entered into a game.  They usually just play day games.

Cervelli has still played more of the time when he is not on the DL.  Yes, he gets dinged up more than any other catcher, but he still starts most of the time.

Diaz could be better than Cervelli.  This is the first time Diaz has been hitting.  He does deserve more playing time.

Sanchez was not the back up to McCann all year in NY.  He was called up in August in 2016.

I would rather have Diaz, but I feel this move is rare:  Rookie catcher sitting the bench.  Most teams want catchers playing every day because of the difficulty of the position.  It could really save Cervelli by actually playing the back up more.  That can't be Stewert.

the most Cervelli has ever played was 2015. That year he started 124 games and completed 108. He caught 1099 innings. The Pirates played 1489 innings.

I agree with Bobster on this, the Bucs would rather have depth with poorer players at the majors. It could be they want to do Stewart a favor and let him play out the season rather than have to move on. However, that is not the kind of move for a contender to make. It really looks like the Bucs don't believe they can contend this year.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

5F727F6E69786F2F2C1D0 wrote: Diaz isn't going to ride the bench when he can play every day in the minors. How many teams carry a rookie catcher to back up?

I wouldn't mind Diaz playing more than Stewart usually does. Cervelli probably needs more days off than the average catcher. Will the Pirates platoon with Cervelli?
We've been hearing about ED for years the guy has done all you can do in the minors.  He has proved he can compete well at the Major league level.  It has to be hard to keep a positive attitude when the Pirates treat players like they have treated him.  I believe he improves the team whether strengthening the bench or throwing out runners, he makes this team better and we need him in the line up.  This organization needs to do the right thing here and get him up now.
That's right. Diaz is only a rookie because they keep him in the minors. He's 26 and this is his 8th season in the minors where he's had over 2,300 ABs. By comparison, Stewart has had 1,100 ABs in the majors. Clearly Diaz should at least be Cevello's backup if not sharing the position. The Pirates (who have already said as much) are concerned more with depth. They can't stash Stewart in AAA so if they move him and bring up Diaz, then Stallings is the next option. They prefer Cervelli/Stewart/Diaz over Cervelli/Diaz/Stallings. Stewart may be a defensive upgrade over Stallings but since Cervelli seems to need a lot of time off, Diaz is a huge upgrade over Stewart. It's just part of the overall strange thinking of this FO. Better to go with less talent in order to have more depth. Better to lose games with better players resting than to make them play more and win.

Someone needs to get thru to this FO.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x-fkSYDtUY" style="border:0;height:100%;left:0;position:absolute;width:100%">

This kind of thinking by FO and Hurdle and his stupid moves is why we are in next to last in the division and going no where as long as this kind of thinking continues. Yes Diaz is 26 come on give the guy a chance, I can't imagine how frustrated he must be. This is why Unions came about.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Comes down to this:

Keep Diaz and play him twice a week.

Send him down so he can play almost every day in the minors.

I doubt he will split time with Cervelli being they both bat right-handed. Stewart doesn't do that currently.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

6D666E6267667D383E497068616666276A66090 wrote: Comes down to this:

I doubt he will split time with Cervelli being they both bat right-handed.  Stewart doesn't do that currently. 
And if Cervelli is here next year, that would be the same in 2018 for a 27 year old Diaz. Diaz has caught over 500 games in the minors. He can be a backup in MLB NOW! He doesn't need to still be catching almost every day in the minors. On the days Cervelli doesn't catch, the Pirates will be stronger with Diaz than with Stewart. Even if it's just 2 days a week, that adds up over the course of a season.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I agree. I have been impressed with Diaz this year. But that is the decision being made. If Diaz is the future, he shouldn't be riding the pine. I just don't know his future with the Cervelli contract.

I am not a fan of Stewart and his weak bat.
thessy

Post by thessy »

795459484F5E49090A3B0 wrote: Comes down to this:

I doubt he will split time with Cervelli being they both bat right-handed.  Stewart doesn't do that currently. 
And if Cervelli is here next year, that would be the same in 2018 for a 27 year old Diaz. Diaz has caught over 500 games in the minors. He can be a backup in MLB NOW! He doesn't need to still be catching almost every day in the minors. On the days Cervelli doesn't catch, the Pirates will be stronger with Diaz than with Stewart. Even if it's just 2 days a week, that adds up over the course of a season.

That's the thing is that it would be at least 2 days a week on average.  If Cervelli only completed 108 games in his best year, the backup was likely in for those other 54 (the possibility of a last inning PH sub for Cervelli aside).  That means Cervelli's backup, a much inferior player to Diaz, is playing in 1/3 of the games, and only because they have no real other option but to play him in most of those games.  If Cervelli's backup had been a better catcher at any point, that 'backup' would have likely played at least half the time (between FC injuries, rest days, playing matchups, etc.)

The rationale Dogknot posted is reasonable in most situations but it simply doesn't apply here.  It's not a matter of playing one day a week vs playing almost every day - that's just not the reality given the specific position and players involved here. It's a matter of playing 50% (or more) of the time in the big leagues vs 80% of the time in AAA.  There are situations where which of those is the better option for a player and team could be up for debate, but it seems pretty clear cut here.

Ideally you have an all-star catcher who never gets hurt and as a result the backup only plays on Sundays, but that just isn't the situation the Pirates are in.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

070C04080D0C175254231A020B0C0C4D000C630 wrote: I agree.  I have been impressed with Diaz this year.  But that is the decision being made.  If Diaz is the future, he shouldn't be riding the pine.  I just don't know his future with the Cervelli contract.

Cervelli is signed thru 2019. No point stashing Diaz in AAA until he can take over in 2020 at age 29. Even if his role is to be a backup, he's ready and the time for that is now. But as you say, Dog, that's the decision being made. It's all about maintaining depth. I couldn't find the article where I read that a couple weeks ago. They don't want to go with Cervelli/Diaz because that leaves Stallings as the reserve depth. They'd rather go with the lesser player in Stewart to maintain greater reserve depth with Diaz. That's only good if Cervelli has to miss more time and they have to dip into AAA for that depth. I guess that's what they anticipate.

MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

My take.

1) I would prefer that the Bucs shop Cervelli and his contract and go with Diaz 5 games a week and Stewart 2. Cervelli clearly has the enthusiasm, but his contract is about as close to being a bad contract as anyone remaining on the team; now that Cutch has rebounded and Bastardo is gone. Cervelli's past rate of injuries now seems to be returning.

2) I am wondering if one of the reasons the Bucs are hanging onto Stewart is because they believe he is the best option to get the most out of Cole. It took forever for the Bucs to allow even Cervelli to catch Cole.

3) Diaz does have a cannon for an arm, but he also has let some pitches get by him. My guess is that he gets better over time, particularly as he learns the pitchers and how their pitches break, but there could be some concern with his defense behind the plate.

4) Diaz is the future, and while I believe he should also be the present, my guess is that the Bucs go with Cervelli and Stewart because it poses less risk than going with Diaz - Cervelli or Diaz - Stewart. That said, Cervelli - Stewart likely offers less reward.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

527E76717A5D6A7C6C1F0 wrote: My take.

1)  I would prefer that the Bucs shop Cervelli and his contract and go with Diaz 5 games a week and Stewart 2.   Cervelli clearly has the enthusiasm, but his contract is about as close to being a bad contract as anyone remaining on the team; now that Cutch has rebounded and Bastardo is gone.  Cervelli's past rate of injuries now seems to be returning.

2)  I am wondering if one of the reasons the Bucs are hanging onto Stewart is because they believe he is the best option to get the most out of Cole.   It took forever for the Bucs to allow even Cervelli to catch Cole.

3)  Diaz does have a cannon for an arm, but he also has let some pitches get by him.  My guess is that he gets better over time, particularly as he learns the pitchers and how their pitches break, but there could be some concern with his defense behind the plate. 

4)  Diaz is the future, and while I believe he should also be the present, my guess is that the Bucs go with Cervelli and Stewart because it poses less risk than going with Diaz - Cervelli or Diaz - Stewart.  That said, Cervelli - Stewart likely offers less reward.
Good point about Stewart/Cole. Also about shopping Cervelli but who would take him with his history of injuries and post-concussion syndrome. No one wants to take on a bad contract.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

6F424F5E59485F1F1C2D0 wrote: I agree.  I have been impressed with Diaz this year.  But that is the decision being made.  If Diaz is the future, he shouldn't be riding the pine.  I just don't know his future with the Cervelli contract.

Cervelli is signed thru 2019. No point stashing Diaz in AAA until he can take over in 2020 at age 29. Even if his role is to be a backup, he's ready and the time for that is now. But as you say, Dog, that's the decision being made. It's all about maintaining depth. I couldn't find the article where I read that a couple weeks ago. They don't want to go with Cervelli/Diaz because that leaves Stallings as the reserve depth. They'd rather go with the lesser player in Stewart to maintain greater reserve depth with Diaz. That's only good if Cervelli has to miss more time and they have to dip into AAA for that depth. I guess that's what they anticipate.   

They used some guy in Bradenton for a game (I forget his name).

554944525258210 wrote:

Ideally you have an all-star catcher who never gets hurt and as a result the backup only plays on Sundays, but that just isn't the situation the Pirates are in.

What is the situation the Pirates are in? Cervelli catches almost every game when he is not on the DL or a day game after a night game.