Spring Training Battles?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Battles?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Are there any real battles for a job this year in Spring Training?

The 5th Starting Rotation spot could be up for grabs. But other than that, are there any real battles?

What about Catcher: Is Stewart a lock to make the team?

What about Hughes in the Bullpen?

Is Harrison the starter at 2B for sure? Or does Frazier have a chance?

I ask because we aren't hearing much. I do think most positions are filled, but I could be wrong (rare, but could be :))
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Battles?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

48434B474243581D1B6C554D444343024F432C0 wrote: Are there any real battles for a job this year in Spring Training? 

The 5th Starting Rotation spot could be up for grabs.  But other than that, are there any real battles?

What about Catcher: Is Stewart a lock to make the team? 

What about Hughes in the Bullpen? 

Is Harrison the starter at 2B for sure?  Or does Frazier have a chance?

I ask because we aren't hearing much.  I do think most positions are filled, but I could be wrong (rare, but could be :))

I think a few spots could open up depending on the third base situation
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Battles?

Like what?

What is the 3B situation? Kang is on his way.
SammyKhalifa

Spring Training Battles?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah but when? Assuming no suspension, etc., how long will the process to get him here and into ST take? Will be ready for opening day?
Bobster21

Spring Training Battles?

Post by Bobster21 »

353E363A3F3E256066112830393E3E7F323E510 wrote: Like what? 

What is the 3B situation?  Kang is on his way.
They don't know when Kang will get to ST. He's still trying to get his visa.

As for the roster, too many LH relievers so I think a deal will be made. Lineup is pretty set other than the question of 3B. If Freese is on the bench (with Kang ready), bench is Freese, Stewart, Frazier and two among Gosselin, Jaso and Hanson. I think Jaso and Hanson are fighting for the last spot.
dmetz

Spring Training Battles?

Post by dmetz »

I think Jaso is definitely in. he's a left handed bench bat and barring a trade or injury we're not going to spend 4 million on him and not bring him north.

Gosselin is a right handed light hitting infielder who we traded for but doesn't really play short. Hanson is light hitting infielder who is also defensively inept at shortstop. Both of them shouldn't be on the 25 at the same time, imo

Bobster21

Spring Training Battles?

Post by Bobster21 »

69606879770D0 wrote: I think Jaso is definitely in.  he's a left handed bench bat and barring a trade or injury we're not going to spend 4 million on him and not bring him north.   

Gosselin is a right handed light hitting infielder who we traded for but doesn't really play short.  Hanson is light hitting infielder who is also defensively inept at shortstop.       Both of them shouldn't be on the 25 at the same time, imo

I'm guessing they'll either trade Jaso (but who would want him?) or Hanson will be DFAd.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Spring Training Battles?

5D545C4D43390 wrote: I think Jaso is definitely in.  he's a left handed bench bat and barring a trade or injury we're not going to spend 4 million on him and not bring him north.   

Gosselin is a right handed light hitting infielder who we traded for but doesn't really play short.  Hanson is light hitting infielder who is also defensively inept at shortstop.       Both of them shouldn't be on the 25 at the same time, imo

I agree. I think Hanson is the odd man out. Does Kang play SS this year?
Bobster21

Spring Training Battles?

Post by Bobster21 »

3F343C3035342F6A6C1B223A3334347538345B0 wrote: I think Jaso is definitely in.  he's a left handed bench bat and barring a trade or injury we're not going to spend 4 million on him and not bring him north.   

I agree.  I think Hanson is the odd man out.  Does Kang play SS this year? 
I recall some comments by NH after last season that Kang could probably play some SS this year.
dmetz

Spring Training Battles?

Post by dmetz »

I would like to see him get some backup time at short if he's physically able to do it still, with his knee. I've never been a fan of carrying a no-hit middle infielder for the main purpose of spelling the starting shortstop every sunday (or less).

If Kang or Gosselin can plug in there in a pinch, I think we'll be better off. Surely defensively worse for that game, but shouldn't happen often enough to really matter.