Technology and Baseball . . .

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

DemDog

Post by DemDog »

Okay, we have instant replay, we have radar guns, we have improved equipment and methods of treating injuries.  We have computers that can call balls and strikes.  But this is taking technology tooooooooo far!

Baseball's Dirtiest Tradition May Come to an End . . .
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

I didn't even realize they rubbed the ball with that stuff.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

7570777179736A777E6D6B661F0 wrote: I didn't even realize they rubbed the ball with that stuff.

Every stadium has a mud room. I thought the umpires did that before every game (so they can examine the balls). I never knew teams had people to do that.
Tintin

Post by Tintin »

When I worked for the Indians in Winter Haven, the home plate ump did them before the game.  I would take 12 dozen baseball to the umpires dressing rooms.  They would have me shell them (take them out of the boxes) and put them in a big bucket.  Ump would mud them up and put them in another bucket.  Bat boys would let them dry and then split them and take them to the home dugout.

I would also take six dozen new balls everyday out to the field.  The players would warm up, hit infield, take bp everyday with beautiful while AL baseballs.  (I would grab two every day for autograph purposes because you'd never know who you'd run in to).

At the end of the day, we'd run them over to the minor league facility and they use them until they were black.

mouse

Post by mouse »

I think during the regular season it is the umpires who rub up the balls, and, as suggested, examine them to be sure they are all up to specifications. Then there are pitchers and catchers who add this and that and scuff them and who knows what else to get funny movement.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

62607A7C6A0F0 wrote: I think during the regular season it is the umpires who rub up the balls, and, as suggested, examine them to be sure they are all up to specifications. Then there are pitchers and catchers who add this and that and scuff them and who knows what else to get funny movement.

Do you think the scuffing still happens? Pitchers are so used to a clean ball and switch balls out all the time. When that ball hits the dirt, a new one is thrown in. You never see pitchers going to the mound with a ball in their glove either.