Rules Question

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rules Question

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I was at the game, so not sure if it was discussed on the TV broadcast. I am curious about a play last night.

Harrison was on second and was running on a pitch to third. Mercer hit the ball right to Bryant at 3B. It looked like Bryant, didn't reach or dive because Harrison was right there (step away from the bag).

If Bryant runs into Harrison, is Harrison out?

Base runners can't interfere with a fielder making a play. But in this situation, Harrison was about to touch the bag. Watching live, it looked like Bryant pulled back as he would have hit Harrison.
iabucco

Rules Question

Post by iabucco »

Bryant wasn't really a fielder on that play was he? I think he left to cover the bag and Russell fielded the ball deep in the hole. I was watching the Cub's feed and this wasn't mentioned. This was the first hit and run, that I have seen with it being third base and being hit where the 3rd baseman could have had a play.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rules Question

Correct. It looked like to me that Bryant didn't try because Harrison was right there. Russell did field it for no throw.

(Harrison got a huge jump, not sure if it was a planned hit and run. Harrison was caught the batter before and Gosselin should have been out at the plate. Bad base running by both, but the Cubs dropped the ball.)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rules Question

Bump - really curious.

I thought Bobster would be all over this...
Bobster21

Rules Question

Post by Bobster21 »

6269616D6869723731467F676E6969286569060 wrote: Bump - really curious.

I didn't see the play. But maybe Bryant was trying to avoid an obstruction call.

7.06 When obstruction occurs, the umpire shall call or signal “Obstruction.”

(a) If a play is being made on the obstructed runner, or if the batter-runner is obstructed before he touches first base, the ball is dead and all runners shall advance, without liability to be put out, to the bases they would have reached, in the umpire’s judgment, if there had been no obstruction. The obstructed runner shall be awarded at least one base beyond the base he had last legally touched before the obstruction. Any preceding runners, forced to advance by the award of bases as the penalty for obstruction, shall advance without liability to be put out.

Rule 7.06(a) Comment: When a play is being made on an obstructed runner, the umpire shall signal obstruction in the same manner that he calls “Time,” with both hands overhead. The ball is immediately dead when this signal is given; however, should a thrown ball be in flight before the obstruction is called by the umpire, the runners are to be awarded such bases on wild throws as they would have been awarded had not obstruction occurred. On a play where a runner was trapped between second and third and obstructed by the third baseman going into third base while the throw is in flight from the shortstop, if such throw goes into the dugout the obstructed runner is to be awarded home base. Any other runners on base in this situation would also be awarded two bases from the base they last legally touched before obstruction was called.

(b) If no play is being made on the obstructed runner, the play shall proceed until no further action is possible. The umpire shall then call “Time” and impose such penalties, if any, as in his judgment will nullify the act of obstruction.

Rule 7.06(b) Comment: Under 7.06(b) when the ball is not dead on obstruction and an obstructed runner advances beyond the base which, in the umpire’s judgment, he would have been awarded because of being obstructed, he does so at his own peril and may be tagged out. This is a judgment call.

DemDog

Rules Question

Post by DemDog »

755855444352450506370 wrote: Bump - really curious.

I didn't see the play. But maybe Bryant was trying to avoid an obstruction call.

7.06 When obstruction occurs, the umpire shall call or signal “Obstruction.”

(a) If a play is being made on the obstructed runner, or if the batter-runner is obstructed before he touches first base, the ball is dead and all runners shall advance, without liability to be put out, to the bases they would have reached, in the umpire’s judgment, if there had been no obstruction. The obstructed runner shall be awarded at least one base beyond the base he had last legally touched before the obstruction. Any preceding runners, forced to advance by the award of bases as the penalty for obstruction, shall advance without liability to be put out.

Rule 7.06(a) Comment: When a play is being made on an obstructed runner, the umpire shall signal obstruction in the same manner that he calls “Time,” with both hands overhead. The ball is immediately dead when this signal is given; however, should a thrown ball be in flight before the obstruction is called by the umpire, the runners are to be awarded such bases on wild throws as they would have been awarded had not obstruction occurred. On a play where a runner was trapped between second and third and obstructed by the third baseman going into third base while the throw is in flight from the shortstop, if such throw goes into the dugout the obstructed runner is to be awarded home base. Any other runners on base in this situation would also be awarded two bases from the base they last legally touched before obstruction was called.

(b) If no play is being made on the obstructed runner, the play shall proceed until no further action is possible. The umpire shall then call “Time” and impose such penalties, if any, as in his judgment will nullify the act of obstruction.

Rule 7.06(b) Comment: Under 7.06(b) when the ball is not dead on obstruction and an obstructed runner advances beyond the base which, in the umpire’s judgment, he would have been awarded because of being obstructed, he does so at his own peril and may be tagged out. This is a judgment call.

Hey Dog he finally made it to this thread. Looks like he had to get some extra sleep so I could digest and remember the rules of baseball. Not just every one has Sherlock Holmes type memory and observation skills like Bobster! ;)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rules Question

I am not sure I got my answer. The Fielder (Bryant) would have been obstructed. Runners can't run into a player fielding a ball. The fielder gets the right of way to field the ball.

But on this play, Harrison was going into the bag. He was that close to the third base bag. My question was more what if Harrison obstructed Bryant, not the other way around.

I guess I can look up the rule book, but thought someone would know. It was an interesting play to me.
Bobster21

Rules Question

Post by Bobster21 »

7378707C7978632620576E767F7878397478170 wrote: I am not sure I got my answer.  The Fielder (Bryant) would have been obstructed.  Runners can't run into a player fielding a ball.  The fielder gets the right of way to field the ball.

But on this play, Harrison was going into the bag.  He was that close to the third base bag.  My question was more what if Harrison obstructed Bryant, not the other way around.

I guess I can look up the rule book, but thought someone would know.  It was an interesting play to me.
The onus is on the runner to run around the fielder so as not to interfere with him. If a runner and infielder collide, while the infielder is attempting to make a play on a batted ball, the runner is out.

Rule 7.08(b) Comment: A runner who is adjudged to have hindered a fielder who is attempting to make a play on a batted ball is out whether it was intentional or not. If, however, the runner has contact with a legally occupied base when he hinders the fielder, he shall not be called out unless, in the umpire’s judgment, such hindrance, whether it occurs on fair or foul territory, is intentional. If the umpire declares the hindrance intentional, the following penalty shall apply: With less than two out, the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter out. With two out, the umpire shall declare the batter out. If, in a run-down between third base and home plate, the succeeding runner has advanced and is standing on third base when the runner in a run-down is called out for offensive interference, the umpire shall send the runner standing on third base back to second base. This same principle applies if there is a run-down between second and third base and succeeding runner has reached second (the reasoning is that no runner shall advance on an interference play and a runner is considered to occupy a base until he legally has reached the next succeeding base).
IABucFan

Rules Question

Post by IABucFan »

I'm taking a bit of a break from this board, so haven't posted in a while. But, I saw this thread and figured I could be of some help.

For those who don't know, I have a good friend who was a AAA umpire, very literally wrote the book on the rules of baseball, has taught the rules courses at one of the two major umpiring schools (don't recall which one off hand...his book is still used as their rules textbook), and is still considered one of the leading experts on the rules of baseball. Here's his answer:

No contact is necessary; I'd have to see the play but sounds like the third baseman was in the act of fielding the grounder when R2 hindered him. If 3B was making a play on the ball (and would have had a chance to field it), then he has right of way and R2 is required to avoid him. If all that was the case it should have been interference on R2 (dead ball) with the batter-runner placed at first.

In any play where a fielder has a fielding opportunity on a batted ball, the runner loses his right to his path to a base. He has to avoid the fielder (and will not be out for "out of the base path" as long as nothing else funky happens).

This kind of play has multiple possibilities. If the third baseman was not going to have a stab at gloving the ball or he misses it and it gets past him, he is immediately liable to obstruct the runner. Additionally, let's say the third baseman and shortstop both had a play on it and it got by the third baseman, if R2 then hindered the shortstop, it is interference. The runner has to avoid anyone who is making a fielding attempt on the ball. All that being said, you also have the possibility of a deflected fielding try that hits a runner (which is "nothing"... incidental contact).
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Rules Question

Thanks Bobster and IA.

That's what I thought.  If Harrison is reaching for the bag, but still not there yet and Bryant runs into him attempting to field the ball, Harrison would still be out.

It was just weird to me as it was so close to the third base bag.  Harrison reaches for the bag, Bryant reaches for the ball at the same time.

Bryant should have dove into Harrison to get the interference call.