Willie Calhoun

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

RichD

Willie Calhoun

Post by RichD »

Rangers just picked this kid up from the Dodgers for Darvish + others...This kid rakes he is a 2nd baseman and the has a little OF exp..He will be blocked at 2nd by Oder and 3rd by Beltre . He is only 5`8 so 1b is out of question. This is the type of player we need to go after .This is Jose Altuve part 2...Rangers only chioce is to stick him in OF. We could offer a Glasnow for him st8 up im thinking. Glasknow been on fire again down below should be enough.

3b Harrison

2b Calhoun
SCBucco

Willie Calhoun

Post by SCBucco »

I hate to tell you. If I'm the Rangers, I don't make that deal.
RichD

Willie Calhoun

Post by RichD »

Kid will hit 30 hr in the Texas weather. We need some hitters , Bell is looking good and will get better ...But we need more bats !

We have 2 choices just go all out with Pitching ....Get a Verlander or Sale or those types and hope they can get us to the playoffs.

or

We just load up with bats . and hope for the best.

We cant have it both ways because the $$$ aint there .And trying to put a little on each side of the ball never freakin work

We can be the Lumber company or the Steel Curtain.

SCBucco

Willie Calhoun

Post by SCBucco »

003B313A16520 wrote: Kid will hit 30 hr in the Texas weather. We need some hitters , Bell is looking good and will get better ...But we need more bats !

We have 2 choices just go all out with Pitching ....Get a Verlander or Sale or those types and hope they can get us to the playoffs.

or

We just load up with bats . and hope for the best.

We cant have it both ways because the $$$ aint there .And trying to put a little on each side of the ball never freakin works.

Sell out on pitching or bats .

I won't disagree with you. We have to decide one or the other, because this franchise WON'T go after both. That said, I don't put Glasnow's stock high at all or as much as probably most. He has to show something to me.
iabucco

Willie Calhoun

Post by iabucco »

I am still hopeful that Glasnow can reach his ceiling. However, my biggest concern with him is that he will struggle for a few years and hit his potential around the time that he will become a free agent. That makes him more tradeable in my mind but this spring certainly brought his value down.

They need to bring him up this fall and have him throw hard. No 93 mph fastballs over the middle of the plate. If he pitches well, then we have increased his value and have a better understanding for next year. If he bombs again, well...
Bobster21

Willie Calhoun

Post by Bobster21 »

464E4D5A4C4C402F0 wrote: I am still hopeful that Glasnow can reach his ceiling.  However, my biggest concern with him is that he will struggle for a few years and hit his potential around the time that he will become a free agent. 

That has always been one of my complaints about the free agency system. Not many pitchers hit the ground running. The majority seem to take several years to reach their ceiling, which gives the team that suffered thru their growing pains just a short window to reap the benefits before they leave in free agency.
Ecbucs

Willie Calhoun

Post by Ecbucs »

785558494E5F48080B3A0 wrote: I am still hopeful that Glasnow can reach his ceiling.  However, my biggest concern with him is that he will struggle for a few years and hit his potential around the time that he will become a free agent. 

That has always been one of my complaints about the free agency system. Not many pitchers hit the ground running. The majority seem to take several years to reach their ceiling, which gives the team that suffered thru their growing pains just a short window to reap the benefits before they leave in free agency.

Jason Schmidt is a good example from a former Pirate perspective.
ScottinMass

Willie Calhoun

Post by ScottinMass »

4279737854100 wrote: Rangers just picked this kid up from the Dodgers for Darvish + others...This kid rakes he is a 2nd baseman and the has a little OF exp..He will be blocked at 2nd by Oder and 3rd by Beltre . He is only 5`8 so 1b is out of question. This is the type of player we need to go after .This is Jose Altuve part 2...Rangers only chioce is to stick him in OF. We could offer a Glasnow for him st8 up im thinking. Glasknow been on fire again down below should be enough.

3b Harrison

2b Calhoun
If the Rangers just got him, why would they trade him? If they wanted pitching, they would have gotten a pitcher from the Dodgers.
RichD

Willie Calhoun

Post by RichD »

0C3C302B2B3631123E2C2C5F0 wrote: Rangers just picked this kid up from the Dodgers for Darvish + others...This kid rakes he is a 2nd baseman and the has a little OF exp..He will be blocked at 2nd by Oder and 3rd by Beltre . He is only 5`8 so 1b is out of question. This is the type of player we need to go after .This is Jose Altuve part 2...Rangers only chioce is to stick him in OF. We could offer a Glasnow for him st8 up im thinking. Glasknow been on fire again down below should be enough.

3b Harrison

2b Calhoun
If the Rangers just got him, why would they trade him? If they wanted pitching, they would have gotten a pitcher from the Dodgers.

Dodgers dont have much left in the high minors pitching wise.Rangers just grabbed a solid bat ,MLB ready from them to flip later on..If you look at what the Rangers have, its all bats down low. They still need pitching.