Tyler Flowers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Tyler Flowers

Post by BucsFaninGA »

What do other Bucco fans think of the Bucs adding Tyler Flowers. Our catching appears to be a bit weak past Cervelli and Diaz. I have followed Flowers since he was drafted by the Braves. He is a good defensive catcher and has become a decent hitter. While I like Cervelli a lot, he keeps getting hurt and can't seem to stay healthy. Diaz might be another minor league wonder who doesn't cut it in the big show. Not trying to be overly negative, but trying to stroke the Hot Stove embers into some off season baseball talk. Beat'em Bucs 8-)
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Tyler Flowers

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I am sure you know more about Flowers than most here, but what do you do with Diaz? He finally got some significant playing time (200 at bats, 400 innings) and turns 27 years old in two weeks.

I prefer a better back up catcher. I wasn't impressed with Diaz at the plate (yes, small sample size). Just no Chris Stewart.
BucsFaninGA

Tyler Flowers

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Dog, I hear you on what to do with Diaz. I'm a big fan of Francisco Cervelli, but am beginning to wonder if he will ever stay healthy enough to play over 130 games. Diaz given some playing time has to improve, but I am not convinved that Jacob Stallings is the next best person to put behind the dish and strap on the tools of ignorance.

I believe they will not pick up the option on Chris Stewart.

I noticed in this mornings Atlanta paper that the Braves picked up the option on Tyler Flowers, so Bucs would have to configure a trade for him.

Just trying to stir up the old off season hot stove...

All the Beset, Bucs Fan in GA 8-)

IABucFan

Tyler Flowers

Post by IABucFan »

Personally, I want Diaz to be our starter. I don't think he had enough of a sample to demonstrate lack of a hit tool at the MLB level. And, he's without a doubt our best defensive catcher. I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of offense at the catcher position. I place a pretty high value on catcher defense, particularly in controlling the running game.

An aside, but I also predict that soon (within a couple of years) MLB will go to computers calling balls and strikes, which will eliminate any advantage over having a good framer. But, I certainly could be wrong on this point.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Tyler Flowers

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Diaz is better than Cervelli in throwing and throwing out runners.  He has a much stronger arm.  Cervelli is not a stolen base stopper, below league average.  Diaz is slightly above league average.

Cervelli is a better pitch blocker.  Probably why he gets hurt all the time?  Not many passed balls and saves a bunch wild pitches in my opinion.

I just don't know if Diaz's defense is worth the offensive drop off.  I only think Diaz throws better than Cervelli.  Cervelli is better in the other aspects of the game.
SammyKhalifa

Tyler Flowers

Post by SammyKhalifa »

3C373F3336372C696F182139303737763B37580 wrote:

Cervelli is a better pitch blocker.  Probably why he gets hurt all the time?  Not many passed balls and saves a bunch wild pitches in my opinion.

I've never seen a catcher take one in "a sensitive area" more in my life. He must wonder sometimes if it's worth the money.