Outfield Polanco

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

MaineBucs

Outfield Polanco

Post by MaineBucs »

The Pirate's outfield has been a source of regular problems this year.

The 'dream' has mostly been a mirage. Marte out on PEDs, McCutchen can't hit or field for nearly 2 months, and Polanco continues to struggle at the plate and hasn't provided any defensive value in either RF or LF.

The team has regularly relied on non-outfielders to be regular outfielders and with mixed results. Jaso is now contributing offensively in a limited role, but received regular time in RF (and even some in LF) when he wasn't hitting and was pretty much of a butcher (cost runs) in the field. Frazier is now pretty much a regular outfielder who doesn't field all that well and whose hitting has tailed off. Osuna, fortunately is now picking it up a bit offensively, and even duped one of the Rays the other days on a bloop to RF. Harrison, Ortiz and others have also seen time in the OF.

My main concern right now is Polanco. He is contributing little and showing few signs of rebounding. In contrast, Jaso & Osuna are both hitting better. I know that the team is woefully thin on outfielders, but with Marte's return now only 3 weeks or so away, I believe the Pirates should consider optioning Polanco to AAA when Marte returns as a wake-up call to Polanco and how he is underperforming.

I note that the Cards have taken similar moves with Grichuck and Diaz this year, and that the Cubs just did the same with Shwarber (sp?). Further, until Marte returns I would sit Polanco more often than not and give both Jaso and Osuna more at bats. Polanco's substandard play has been both disappointing and unacceptable.

Lastly, I would consider sending Polanco down now, but there does not appear to be anyone at AAA who could help the offense.
Quail

Outfield Polanco

Post by Quail »

I think giving Polanco a wake-up call at AAA after Marte returns is a good idea if he continues to struggle. Osuna and Frazier could be platooned as his replacement until/if he returns.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Outfield Polanco

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

If that is the case, send him down now so he is ready when Marte comes back. Marte's return has to be the start of the push.