our batting order

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

johnfluharty

our batting order

Post by johnfluharty »

So how much do you guys feel that our batting order impacts the outcome of games?  I am speaking mostly of Polanco hitting 3rd.  I know Hurdle said he was leaving McCutchen 6th, but would we be better at driving in runs with him hitting 3rd in front of Bell?  I think our bullpen issues far outweigh this one but I wanted to get some thoughts from others.
Bobster21

our batting order

Post by Bobster21 »

I was in favor of moving Cutch down until/if he hits and then moving him back up. So I think he should now move back to #3. Frazier and Harrison are getting on base but Polanco has only 18 RBIs. That's fewer than all starters, fewer than Jaso and same as Osuna. For a #3 batter with guys routinely getting on base ahead of him, that's pathetic. Harrison (32 runs) and Frazier (31) have scored about the same number of times as Mercer (30) who bats low in the order. Quite simply, having Polanco bat 3rd is wasting numerous scoring opportunities and killing this offense.
SammyKhalifa

our batting order

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I think it a) makes a difference, and b) not nearly the difference you'd think considering all of the discussion and consternation around it. :)

I don't know if I'd move cutch, but I'd move Polanco out.
johnfluharty

our batting order

Post by johnfluharty »

If Cutch is left at #6 then, honestly, with the way Mercer has been hitting the last month or so I would be temped to move him to #2 and slide Harrison down to #3.  Harrison actually has been slugging pretty good this year.  Put Polanco 7th and work on having him stop trying to pull everything and stop swinging at so many balls out of the zone.
CarolinaBucco

our batting order

Post by CarolinaBucco »

Personally I think batting order is overrated. Not a big deal, although I do agree it doesn't make much sense for Polanco to be hitting No. 3 right now.

But as you indicated, this team has 3 other issues right now that far outweigh any concerns about the batting order: (1) Bullpen; (2) Bullpen; and (3) Bullpen.
CarolinaBucco

our batting order

Post by CarolinaBucco »

I would go as far as to say that if the Pirates lead 4-2 after 6, and the starting pitcher has just been removed, I think at that moment the odds of the Pirates losing is actually greater than winning ... even with a 4-2 lead going to the 7th. AND THAT IS PATHETIC.

I just don't see how this bullpen can piece together the final 9 outs of a game without a disaster. A sad situation that apparently is not close to being resolved.

dogknot17@yahoo.co

our batting order

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

If McCutchen has made the changes, he should be back at batting third. Of course, he has to deal with all that pressure that he doesn't want / like.

Polanco is not hitting with runners on base. He shouldn't be in the three hole. I do think the line up matters. Guys at the top of the line up get more at bats. You should want to get them more at bats in a game.

IABucFan

our batting order

Post by IABucFan »

Personally, I don't move McCutchen. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. On a regular basis, here is my order:

1. Frazier-LF

2. Harrison-2B

3. Bell-1B

4. Freeze-3B

5. Polanco-RF

6. McCutchen-CF

7. Mercer-SS

8. Diaz-C

Even when Cervelli is back, Dias is my everyday catcher. I think Cervelli will be on the trading block, though with his injuries, I don't think he'll command much. But, for me, Diaz has been one of the very pleasant surprises this year. I'm perfectly comfortable with him as the every day catcher in 2018.

Mercer has been hitting so well, I might actually consider moving him up. After a hot start, Frazier has kind of tailed off a bit. Maybe flop Mercer and Frazier...certainly against lefties.

When Marte is back, does Frazier go to the bench?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

our batting order

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

McCutchen can fix the other broken parts. Usually one of the three, four or five spots are broken. But sixth is doing just fine. Would you rather have a broken three/four/five or a broken six?
SammyKhalifa

our batting order

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4C4447706643646B050 wrote: Personally, I don't move McCutchen.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  On a regular basis, here is my order:

1.  Frazier-LF

2.  Harrison-2B

3.  Bell-1B

4.  Freeze-3B

5.  Polanco-RF

6.  McCutchen-CF

7.  Mercer-SS

8.  Diaz-C

Even when Cervelli is back, Dias is my everyday catcher.  I think Cervelli will be on the trading block, though with his injuries, I don't think he'll command much.  But, for me, Diaz has been one of the very pleasant surprises this year.  I'm perfectly comfortable with him as the every day catcher in 2018.

Mercer has been hitting so well, I might actually consider moving him up.  After a hot start, Frazier has kind of tailed off a bit.  Maybe flop Mercer and Frazier...certainly against lefties.

When Marte is back, does Frazier go to the bench?

I think for now I'd just swap Jordy and Polanco in the lineup--keep everything else consistent.