Just saw that Neal Huntington was also extended for 4years
SammyKhalifa

Huntington also Extended

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I kind of figured when they said the Hurdle was, but thanks for confirming
IABucFan

Huntington also Extended

Post by IABucFan »

Well, I have to believe that Nutting promised them something. No sane person would hang around this organization any longer than is needed unless some assurances were made that changes were indeed coming. In general, I think NH is a very good GM. Glad to have him around for four more years. That said, even the greatest chef in the world can't make a gourmet dinner out of leftovers. A solid core is in place. If Nutting opens his wallet a bit and gives NH some wiggle room on the budget, I'm confident he can build a competitive team for 2018.

Of course, the flip side of this is that this now gives NH a bit of freedom to tear the whole thing down and start over again.
SammyKhalifa

Huntington also Extended

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, I thought the question was more whether NH wanted to stay here over whether the team would want to keep him (whether you like the job he's done or not).

I thought Clint was about 50/50 to retire.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Huntington also Extended

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

If Huntington gets another GM offer, he can leave. I am sure there is some type of buy out. Did you see the movie Moneyball? (spoiler alert) Billy Beane was offered a job with the Red Sox even though he was still under contract with the A's.
SCBucco

Huntington also Extended

Post by SCBucco »

79727A767372692C2A5D647C757272337E721D0 wrote: If Huntington gets another GM offer, he can leave.  I am sure there is some type of buy out.  Did you see the movie Moneyball? (spoiler alert) Billy Beane was offered a job with the Red Sox even though he was still under contract with the A's. 

I doubt he gets a sniff for a good job based on the buffoonery of this season (see Nicascio fiasco). So, I assume its status quo for this organization and it won't move forward. Owner is back (sucks); GM is back (not impressed with him the last two years absent Rivero deal) and Hurdle is back.
SammyKhalifa

Huntington also Extended

Post by SammyKhalifa »

6777764157575B340 wrote: If Huntington gets another GM offer, he can leave.  I am sure there is some type of buy out.  Did you see the movie Moneyball? (spoiler alert) Billy Beane was offered a job with the Red Sox even though he was still under contract with the A's. 

I doubt he gets a sniff for a good job based on the buffoonery of this season (see Nicascio fiasco).  So, I assume its status quo for this organization and it won't move forward.  Owner is back (sucks); GM is back (not impressed with him the last two years absent Rivero deal) and Hurdle is back.

It's been a bad run but I'm still willing to give the benefit of the doubt based on the balance of his (NH's) work here. 

As far as whether he'd get another job, I don't really know what the opinion of him within the industry is.
mouse

Huntington also Extended

Post by mouse »

Sadly, the Moneyball analogy isn't too reliable. Billy Beane also traded away a player the Art Howe character insisted on playing. Does anyone see NH trading Jaso or Stewart?
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Huntington also Extended

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1B0B0A3D2B2B27480 wrote: If Huntington gets another GM offer, he can leave.  I am sure there is some type of buy out.  Did you see the movie Moneyball? (spoiler alert) Billy Beane was offered a job with the Red Sox even though he was still under contract with the A's. 

I doubt he gets a sniff for a good job based on the buffoonery of this season (see Nicascio fiasco).  So, I assume its status quo for this organization and it won't move forward.  Owner is back (sucks); GM is back (not impressed with him the last two years absent Rivero deal) and Hurdle is back.

What's considered a "good job"? What GM positions will be available? Or do you mean to be team President on a large market team?

(I still have no idea what Coonelly does. But I do think Theo Epstein runs the Cubs and not Jed Hoyer.)