4/25 Game Thread Cole versus Cubbies...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

764448485C6E4D44494C4344250 wrote: How bad could Freese be hurting?? I mean they just had an off day last Thursday and have another one coming up this Thursday. I mean we are only 20 games into the season for crying out loud guys shouldn't be tired yet at all. I don't buy that excuse.

Hurt or hurting is different than being tired. I don't know for sure, but sure looks that way.

The Pirates beat themselves tonight. The Cubs didn't win that game on their own. They were out hit and out pitched. One bad play by Hanson cost the game. Hanson was up twice with runners in scoring position and flew out and couldn't put the ball in play.

Cole with his fourth quality start in a row. Get ready for a lot more of these losses this year that's gonna eventually add up to 90 when all is said and done.

The Pirates losing 1-0 with an unearned run scoring has happened four times in the last 50 years. 1984 was the last time it happened before tonight. I do not expect a lot more of these losses. Maybe not in that exact way but this team is going to continue to lose games 2-1 and 3-2 because their offense at this point is incapable of scoring runs at a high level. Look at how many quality starts they have wasted so far this season because this offense sucks and can't score any runs. I think they have now had 13 quality starts by one of their starting pitchers which is among the league leaders in that category and have lost everyone of those games if not most of them. You aren't going to be a winning team doing things like this on a consistent basis.

Yes, they have had 13 Quality Starts out of 20 games.  The Pirates are 5-8 in those 13 games. 

I agree, not very good.  Some were very close games and could have easily swung the Pirates' way.  Well it better start getting better soon or the Pirates are going to find themselves out of the race pretty quickly. You can't expect the pitching to be this good either all season. At some point this offense has to contribute to some of these wins. And as long as you don't have Marte and Kang the next few months and you are starting John Jaso 3 times a week and Phil Gosselin as well you aren't going to get any production because these guys stink and aren't any good. Once Frazier is healthy here is the lineup Hurdle should run out everyday below. This lineup will give them the best chance to score some runs and win more games.

Cutch CF

Polanco LF

Bell RF

Freese 1st

Frazier 2nd

Mercer SS

Harrison 3rd

Cervelli C

Agree with this lineup.

Nah, if they want to stay in it this season they need to trade for a right fielder, simple as that. 

Why would you do that with Meadows ready to come up that makes no sense.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Meadows is hitting 200.

He'll be our outfielder in the future, but not now. If we don't think this season is going to work out, that's fine and I understand. But if we think we're otherwise good enough we need to make a move for the now.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Meadows isn't ready.

The Pirates need someone now. Then that player goes to the bench once Marte is back.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

063438382C1E3D34393C3334550 wrote: Meadows is hitting 200.

He'll be our outfielder in the future, but not now.  If we don't think this season is going to work out, that's fine and I understand.  But if we think we're otherwise good enough we need to make a move for the now. I agree and they have to do something soon. You can't continue to play Jaso in RF 3-4 times a week. You have enough prospects available go trade somebody and get at least a decent major league outfielder and can help the lineup. If they won't do it the lineup I suggested and moving Bell to Right and Freese to 1st is the best way to go.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, we have two actual outfielders and a clown car full of utility players in right. Get someone in that spot and I think all of those guys being asked to do something they can't actually do will be better too.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

13212D2D390B28212C292621400 wrote: How bad could Freese be hurting?? I mean they just had an off day last Thursday and have another one coming up this Thursday. I mean we are only 20 games into the season for crying out loud guys shouldn't be tired yet at all. I don't buy that excuse.

Hurt or hurting is different than being tired. I don't know for sure, but sure looks that way.

The Pirates beat themselves tonight. The Cubs didn't win that game on their own. They were out hit and out pitched. One bad play by Hanson cost the game. Hanson was up twice with runners in scoring position and flew out and couldn't put the ball in play.

Cole with his fourth quality start in a row. Get ready for a lot more of these losses this year that's gonna eventually add up to 90 when all is said and done.

The Pirates losing 1-0 with an unearned run scoring has happened four times in the last 50 years. 1984 was the last time it happened before tonight. I do not expect a lot more of these losses. Maybe not in that exact way but this team is going to continue to lose games 2-1 and 3-2 because their offense at this point is incapable of scoring runs at a high level. Look at how many quality starts they have wasted so far this season because this offense sucks and can't score any runs. I think they have now had 13 quality starts by one of their starting pitchers which is among the league leaders in that category and have lost everyone of those games if not most of them. You aren't going to be a winning team doing things like this on a consistent basis.

Yes, they have had 13 Quality Starts out of 20 games.  The Pirates are 5-8 in those 13 games. 

I agree, not very good.  Some were very close games and could have easily swung the Pirates' way.  Well it better start getting better soon or the Pirates are going to find themselves out of the race pretty quickly. You can't expect the pitching to be this good either all season. At some point this offense has to contribute to some of these wins. And as long as you don't have Marte and Kang the next few months and you are starting John Jaso 3 times a week and Phil Gosselin as well you aren't going to get any production because these guys stink and aren't any good. Once Frazier is healthy here is the lineup Hurdle should run out everyday below. This lineup will give them the best chance to score some runs and win more games.

Cutch CF

Polanco LF

Bell RF

Freese 1st

Frazier 2nd

Mercer SS

Harrison 3rd

Cervelli C

Agree with this lineup.

Nah, if they want to stay in it this season they need to trade for a right fielder, simple as that. 

I agree. If team wants to get back in (or stay in the race for the optimists) it needs to fill the hole in right field with a trade. If it turns out there is more talent than needed later (which is a good situation) there are options to deal.
CutchisaBoss

Post by CutchisaBoss »

Cole's last three starts against the Cubs:

21.0 IP

11 H

2 ER

0 HR

1 BB

20 K

That's a 0.86 ERA, 4.7 H/9, 0.4 BB/9, and 8.6 K/9

Not bad.