4/25 Game Thread Cole versus Cubbies...

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I am sticking with 82_80. Team will improve when Martel gets back but too late to contend.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

313D3C676E676F62657A60570 wrote: Another well pitched game. Thank you Kang and Marte for letting this team down by being out of the lineup due to your stupidity.

This was the perfect picture of the current Pirates: pitch a brilliant 2 hitter but get beat because the defense allows an unearned run and the offense can't squeeze even one run in support. That's an amazing 3-pack.

Pitchers must be getting frustrated.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

0D2B2A3D2B3B480 wrote: I am sticking with 82_80.  Team will improve when Martel gets back but too late to contend.

I'll bet if we ran another 2017 prediction tread there would be very few posters at 81 or above. The shame is pitching is a lot harder and more expensive to acquire, but cheap stuff like defense and bullpen and bench is killing the pitching.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

The Pirates right now need to be careful they don't go into a huge tailspin here. Currently they are 8-12 and 4 games out of 1st place behind the Cubs. But another bad week here and roadtrip to Miami and Cincinatti this next week or so and they are going to find themselves 7-10 games under .500, 6-10 games out of the division, and probably around 5 to 6 games out of a 2nd wildcard spot. They can't afford to fall that far back only a month into the season with as bad as this offense has been so far and the injuries and suspensions and whatever other mess this team has created.

The Pirates need to win this last game against the Cubs tonight and at least go 4-3 on the trip to Miami and Cincy but I just don't see it happening. I'm expecting a lot worse. Regardless you better start winning more consistently and quit getting swept as well in every series you lose or you're going to find yourself buried in the standings before you know it.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

6E656D6164657E3B3D4A736B6265652469650A0 wrote: How bad could Freese be hurting?? I mean they just had an off day last Thursday and have another one coming up this Thursday. I mean we are only 20 games into the season for crying out loud guys shouldn't be tired yet at all. I don't buy that excuse.

Hurt or hurting is different than being tired. I don't know for sure, but sure looks that way.

The Pirates beat themselves tonight. The Cubs didn't win that game on their own. They were out hit and out pitched. One bad play by Hanson cost the game. Hanson was up twice with runners in scoring position and flew out and couldn't put the ball in play.

Cole with his fourth quality start in a row. Get ready for a lot more of these losses this year that's gonna eventually add up to 90 when all is said and done.

The Pirates losing 1-0 with an unearned run scoring has happened four times in the last 50 years. 1984 was the last time it happened before tonight. I do not expect a lot more of these losses. Maybe not in that exact way but this team is going to continue to lose games 2-1 and 3-2 because their offense at this point is incapable of scoring runs at a high level. Look at how many quality starts they have wasted so far this season because this offense sucks and can't score any runs. I think they have now had 13 quality starts by one of their starting pitchers which is among the league leaders in that category and have lost everyone of those games if not most of them. You aren't going to be a winning team doing things like this on a consistent basis.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

By the way I don't totally blame Hanson for last night's loss.

If he hadn't made the error it would have been 0-0.

Does anyone really think the Pirates would have scored a run before the Cubs?

If Hanson had not made the error, Pirates would have lost anyway, most likely 1-0 in 10 or 11 innings.

Not excusing him or the defense in general. Just saying Pirates would have lost the game anyway because the offense is hopeless.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1A3D2C282D300F3B2C2D2D30490 wrote: How bad could Freese be hurting?? I mean they just had an off day last Thursday and have another one coming up this Thursday. I mean we are only 20 games into the season for crying out loud guys shouldn't be tired yet at all. I don't buy that excuse.

Hurt or hurting is different than being tired. I don't know for sure, but sure looks that way.

The Pirates beat themselves tonight. The Cubs didn't win that game on their own. They were out hit and out pitched. One bad play by Hanson cost the game. Hanson was up twice with runners in scoring position and flew out and couldn't put the ball in play.

Cole with his fourth quality start in a row. Get ready for a lot more of these losses this year that's gonna eventually add up to 90 when all is said and done.

The Pirates losing 1-0 with an unearned run scoring has happened four times in the last 50 years. 1984 was the last time it happened before tonight. I do not expect a lot more of these losses. Maybe not in that exact way but this team is going to continue to lose games 2-1 and 3-2 because their offense at this point is incapable of scoring runs at a high level. Look at how many quality starts they have wasted so far this season because this offense sucks and can't score any runs. I think they have now had 13 quality starts by one of their starting pitchers which is among the league leaders in that category and have lost everyone of those games if not most of them. You aren't going to be a winning team doing things like this on a consistent basis.

Yes, they have had 13 Quality Starts out of 20 games. The Pirates are 5-8 in those 13 games.

I agree, not very good. Some were very close games and could have easily swung the Pirates' way.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

505B535F5A5B400503744D555C5B5B1A575B340 wrote: How bad could Freese be hurting?? I mean they just had an off day last Thursday and have another one coming up this Thursday. I mean we are only 20 games into the season for crying out loud guys shouldn't be tired yet at all. I don't buy that excuse.

Yes, they have had 13 Quality Starts out of 20 games.  The Pirates are 5-8 in those 13 games. 

I agree, not very good.  Some were very close games and could have easily swung the Pirates' way.  Well it better start getting better soon or the Pirates are going to find themselves out of the race pretty quickly. You can't expect the pitching to be this good either all season. At some point this offense has to contribute to some of these wins. And as long as you don't have Marte and Kang the next few months and you are starting John Jaso 3 times a week and Phil Gosselin as well you aren't going to get any production because these guys stink and aren't any good. Once Frazier is healthy here is the lineup Hurdle should run out everyday below. This lineup will give them the best chance to score some runs and win more games.

Cutch CF

Polanco LF

Bell RF

Freese 1st

Frazier 2nd

Mercer SS

Harrison 3rd

Cervelli C

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

06213034312C13273031312C550 wrote: How bad could Freese be hurting?? I mean they just had an off day last Thursday and have another one coming up this Thursday. I mean we are only 20 games into the season for crying out loud guys shouldn't be tired yet at all. I don't buy that excuse.

Yes, they have had 13 Quality Starts out of 20 games.  The Pirates are 5-8 in those 13 games. 

I agree, not very good.  Some were very close games and could have easily swung the Pirates' way.  Well it better start getting better soon or the Pirates are going to find themselves out of the race pretty quickly. You can't expect the pitching to be this good either all season. At some point this offense has to contribute to some of these wins. And as long as you don't have Marte and Kang the next few months and you are starting John Jaso 3 times a week and Phil Gosselin as well you aren't going to get any production because these guys stink and aren't any good. Once Frazier is healthy here is the lineup Hurdle should run out everyday below. This lineup will give them the best chance to score some runs and win more games.

Cutch CF

Polanco LF

Bell RF

Freese 1st

Frazier 2nd

Mercer SS

Harrison 3rd

Cervelli C

Agree with this lineup.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7C646661617667607D7C6A0F0 wrote: How bad could Freese be hurting?? I mean they just had an off day last Thursday and have another one coming up this Thursday. I mean we are only 20 games into the season for crying out loud guys shouldn't be tired yet at all. I don't buy that excuse.

Cutch CF

Polanco LF

Bell RF

Freese 1st

Frazier 2nd

Mercer SS

Harrison 3rd

Cervelli C

Agree with this lineup.

Nah, if they want to stay in it this season they need to trade for a right fielder, simple as that.