Post by mouse »

Buster Olney has thoughts for the Pirates off-season --

http://www.espn.com/blog/buster-olney/i ... sibilities
Quail

If you trade Cutch?

Post by Quail »

0D0F151305600 wrote: Buster Olney has thoughts for the Pirates off-season --

"The Pirates could keep Cole, McCutchen, Nova and Rivera, of course. But even if they found a great deal for one or two of them, they'd have enough in their lineup, rotation and bullpen to contend, so long as there is reasonable progress among Chad Kuhl, Jameson Taillon, Trevor Williams and Tyler Glasnow."

This quote from the article seems fairly delusional to me. The main thrust of the article is that NH needs to listen to offers for Cutch and Cole (and to a lesser extent even Nova and Rivero).

If Olney is correct that replacing either of Cutch and Cole with the inevitable package of prospects they'd fetch would leave enough talent on the Pirates in 2018 to contend then I need some of what Buster is smoking. For a team that lacks power and top end pitching to rid itself of (arguably) its top starter and top power hitter would require more than "...reasonable progress among Chad Kuhl, Jameson Taillon, Trevor Williams and Tyler Glasnow." to contend. It would either require that those 4 players somehow magically morph into Babe Ruth or that the term "contend" now includes winning percentages south of .500.
Ecbucs

If you trade Cutch?

Post by Ecbucs »

5377636B6E020 wrote: Buster Olney has thoughts for the Pirates off-season --

"The Pirates could keep Cole, McCutchen, Nova and Rivera, of course. But even if they found a great deal for one or two of them, they'd have enough in their lineup, rotation and bullpen to contend, so long as there is reasonable progress among Chad Kuhl, Jameson Taillon, Trevor Williams and Tyler Glasnow."

This quote from the article seems fairly delusional to me. The main thrust of the article is that NH needs to listen to offers for Cutch and Cole (and to a lesser extent even Nova and Rivero).

If Olney is correct that replacing either of Cutch and Cole with the inevitable package of prospects they'd fetch would leave enough talent on the Pirates in 2018 to contend then I need some of what Buster is smoking. For a team that lacks power and top end pitching to rid itself of (arguably) its top starter and top power hitter would require more than "...reasonable progress among Chad Kuhl, Jameson Taillon, Trevor Williams and Tyler Glasnow." to contend. It would either require that those 4 players somehow magically morph into Babe Ruth or that the term "contend" now includes winning percentages south of .500. 

yeah, some of the acquisitions would need to be as good as Cole and Cutch in addition to getting improvement from most players (which usually doesn't happen).