If you trade Cutch?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

SammyKhalifa

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

(allowing that he was hurt last year)

Not better but more consistent. That's why I think I'd keep cutch and roll the dice and get a draft pick at the end--unless again someone blows us away.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

If you trade Cutch?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

05373B3B2F1D3E373A3F3037560 wrote: (allowing that he was hurt last year)

Not better but more consistent.  That's why I think I'd keep cutch and roll the dice and get a draft pick at the end--unless again someone blows us away. 

I meant going into the 2017 season. Would you rather have traded for Eaton or McCutchen? Eaton has never had a season with an .800 OPS (not counting his 23 games in 2017). McCutchen had one which was under .800. Eaton has never made an All Star team.

In my opinion, McCutchen was worth more than Eaton. I would have expected a better return from Washington than what was had for Eaton.
SammyKhalifa

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

464D45494C4D561315625B434A4D4D0C414D220 wrote: (allowing that he was hurt last year)

Not better but more consistent.  That's why I think I'd keep cutch and roll the dice and get a draft pick at the end--unless again someone blows us away. 

I meant going into the 2017 season.  Would you rather have traded for Eaton or McCutchen?  Eaton has never had a season with an .800 OPS (not counting his 23 games in 2017).  McCutchen had one which was under .800.  Eaton has never made an All Star team.

In my opinion, McCutchen was worth more than Eaton.  I would have expected a better return from Washington than what was had for Eaton. 

Me too, now that's not knowing what the "insider" opinion around the league was of how McCutchen was going to be
SCBucco

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SCBucco »

4A41494540415A1F196E574F464141004D412E0 wrote: It was no secret that Huntington wanted Robles from Washington.  I thought it came out that Huntington was settling for just Robles and Giolito as a final offer?  Originally, he wanted Robles and a bunch of other pitchers.  The Nationals wouldn't part with Robles (or Trea Turner) for anyone.  They missed out on Aroldis Chapman because the asking price was Robles and/or Turner.  Why they traded Rivero for Melancon.

It was dumb for NH to ask for Robles when you consider how bad of a year Cutch had and no one knew what 2017 would be like.  NH wanted a boat load for a guy trending down.

Bottom line, that was what Washington offered NH for Cutch and it was turned down.  That was a dumb move.  It doesn't matter if NH wanted Robles, he wasn't getting him from Washington.  They weren't about to trade him for a player that had a crap year and might not recover.  Absent a 3.5-month stretch, Cutch wasn't good in 2017.

Why does it hurt to ask for certain players?  Washington was the one who came asking and offering for McCutchen, it wasn't the other way around.  Washington's deal for Eaton didn't turn out well either since he got hurt very early. 

I like your last line.  McCutchen was good only 3.5 months out of the season (6 months).  So, he was good more than half the season and you twisted it into he had a bad year.  Overall, McCutchen was a top CF in 2017:  5th in OPS, 4th in HR, 5th in Slg, 2nd in RBI, 10th in Ave, 6th in Hits, 4th in Runs.

Because if you have a guy that had a crap year and there is clearly no evidence he will return to the all-star he was, its a bit much to ask for a boat load. That's cool, but he only had 3.5 good months. His first two were lousy and his last 1.5 were lousy. Washington was never going to give up Robles for Cutch. Reality dude.
SCBucco

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SCBucco »

3D363E3237362D686E192038313636773A36590 wrote: (allowing that he was hurt last year)

I meant going into the 2017 season.  Would you rather have traded for Eaton or McCutchen?  Eaton has never had a season with an .800 OPS (not counting his 23 games in 2017).  McCutchen had one which was under .800.  Eaton has never made an All Star team.

In my opinion, McCutchen was worth more than Eaton.  I would have expected a better return from Washington than what was had for Eaton. 

All-Star games are nothing more than popularity contests anymore. Using the fact someone who hadn't been an all-star before doesn't hold water.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

If you trade Cutch?

7767665147474B240 wrote: (allowing that he was hurt last year)

All-Star games are nothing more than popularity contests anymore.  Using the fact someone who hadn't been an all-star before doesn't hold water.

Only the starters are voted in.  Only one or two don't deserve it every year.  The majority deserve to be there.  It holds water to me comparing a five time all star to a player who never made the team.  Stats clearly say McCutchen is better, I was just pointing out other aspects.  That's fine if you don't like that achievement.  Eaton finished 19th once in the MVP voting, never won a Silver Slugger Award or a Gold Glove.  He has topped the league in Triples a few times.  That is his only offensive league leader category in his career.  Stats and achievements say McCutchen is a better baseball player.  Not sure how one can disagree? Eaton is a fine ball player, he just isn't a McCutchen.
SammyKhalifa

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7E757D7174756E2B2D5A637B7275753479751A0 wrote: (allowing that he was hurt last year)

All-Star games are nothing more than popularity contests anymore.  Using the fact someone who hadn't been an all-star before doesn't hold water.

Only the starters are voted in.  Only one or two don't deserve it every year.  The majority deserve to be there.  It holds water to me comparing a five time all star to a player who never made the team.  Stats clearly say McCutchen is better, I was just pointing out other aspects.  That's fine if you don't like that achievement.  Eaton finished 19th once in the MVP voting, never won a Silver Slugger Award or a Gold Glove.  He has topped the league in Triples a few times.  That is his only offensive league leader category in his career.  Stats and achievements say McCutchen is a better baseball player.  Not sure how one can disagree?  Eaton is a fine ball player, he just isn't a McCutchen.

unless mccutchen was washed up . . . which even if you disagree, you have to admit that people probably had it on their minds.

would you rather have 2017 Gregory Polanco or 2017 Hank Aaron? One has all kinds of awards.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

If you trade Cutch?

62505C5C487A59505D585750310 wrote: (allowing that he was hurt last year)

Only the starters are voted in.  Only one or two don't deserve it every year.  The majority deserve to be there.  It holds water to me comparing a five time all star to a player who never made the team.  Stats clearly say McCutchen is better, I was just pointing out other aspects.  That's fine if you don't like that achievement.  Eaton finished 19th once in the MVP voting, never won a Silver Slugger Award or a Gold Glove.  He has topped the league in Triples a few times.  That is his only offensive league leader category in his career.  Stats and achievements say McCutchen is a better baseball player.  Not sure how one can disagree?  Eaton is a fine ball player, he just isn't a McCutchen.

unless mccutchen was washed up . . . which even if you disagree, you have to admit that people probably had it on their minds.

would you rather have 2017 Gregory Polanco or 2017 Hank Aaron?  One has all kinds of awards. 

McCutchen's down year was close to Eaton's career average. Has Eaton always been "washed up"? Do you think it is unfair to compare the two players? Do you think comparing Polanco now to someone who is 83 years old and hasn't played in 41 years is a fair comparison?

SammyKhalifa

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

it was if you take into account the season in its entirety.

but when you look at the splits, it is very drastic. it's no wonder if other teams would ask questions.
notes34

If you trade Cutch?

Post by notes34 »

675559594D7F5C55585D5255340 wrote: (allowing that he was hurt last year)

would you rather have 2017 Gregory Polanco or 2017 Hank Aaron?  One has all kinds of awards. 

Ha. I will take Hank Aaron. ;)