Potential Free Agents

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

notes34

Potential Free Agents

Post by notes34 »

191112253316313E500 wrote: I like Dyson, he is a very solid OF and has a decent bat with speed. Could play any of the OF spots. But knowing the cheap skate front office and Bottom Line Bob, they will go the cheapest route...Luplow impressed me. I don't know if they will sit a young player like him and keep him as a 4th outfielder. "Serpico" Rodriguez is definitely a solid all around utility type. I look for them to hang onto him.

Agree that Walker burned his bridges with No Deal Neal earlier. He will not be in the Bucs plans.

Should be an interesting dilemma as they need more OF depth.

Beat'em Bucs 8-)

I would love to bring in Dyson. He wan't the top guy on those good KC teams, but he was a solid contributor. He plays solid defense at any of the three OF spots, and is a good baserunner. I would gladly take him as a fourth outfielder.

Do you think the Pirates should pay a back up outfielder $6 million and a back up infielder 5.5? (S-Rod)? That is a lot of money dedicated to players that aren't regulars.  Dyson had less than a 700 ops last season. Dyson would have been a good pick up when Marte was suspended but the Royals most likely weren't dealing him until later in the season.

MLB Trade Rumors responded to a question today and would the Bucs spend that much on Dyson, here is reply:

[highlight]It presupposes a Cutch trade.  We try not to assume a bunch of trades, but it's hard to also make these picks while assuming no one gets traded.[/highlight]

You know, this would be such a typical Pirate move. Trade your franchise center fielder, and replace him not with someone better, but someone substantially worse. And that's not taking anything away from Dyson. I like him as a fourth outfielder. Like I like Rodriguez as a bench guy, super-util player. I don't like Rodriguez as the starter at third, and I don't like Dyson at the starter in center.

Essentially trading Cutch for Dyson would be Morton for Vogelson, but on whatever Marte's PED provider is currently offering.
I was thinking the same thing. They will replace Cutch with Dyson and hope Meadows will be ready soon. That seems like it would be a Pirate move.
Ecbucs

Potential Free Agents

Post by Ecbucs »

61607B6A7C3C3B0F0 wrote: I like Dyson, he is a very solid OF and has a decent bat with speed. Could play any of the OF spots. But knowing the cheap skate front office and Bottom Line Bob, they will go the cheapest route...Luplow impressed me. I don't know if they will sit a young player like him and keep him as a 4th outfielder. "Serpico" Rodriguez is definitely a solid all around utility type. I look for them to hang onto him.

Agree that Walker burned his bridges with No Deal Neal earlier. He will not be in the Bucs plans.

Should be an interesting dilemma as they need more OF depth.

Beat'em Bucs 8-)

I would love to bring in Dyson. He wan't the top guy on those good KC teams, but he was a solid contributor. He plays solid defense at any of the three OF spots, and is a good baserunner. I would gladly take him as a fourth outfielder.

Do you think the Pirates should pay a back up outfielder $6 million and a back up infielder 5.5? (S-Rod)? That is a lot of money dedicated to players that aren't regulars.  Dyson had less than a 700 ops last season. Dyson would have been a good pick up when Marte was suspended but the Royals most likely weren't dealing him until later in the season.

MLB Trade Rumors responded to a question today and would the Bucs spend that much on Dyson, here is reply:

[highlight]It presupposes a Cutch trade.  We try not to assume a bunch of trades, but it's hard to also make these picks while assuming no one gets traded.[/highlight]

You know, this would be such a typical Pirate move. Trade your franchise center fielder, and replace him not with someone better, but someone substantially worse. And that's not taking anything away from Dyson. I like him as a fourth outfielder. Like I like Rodriguez as a bench guy, super-util player. I don't like Rodriguez as the starter at third, and I don't like Dyson at the starter in center.

Essentially trading Cutch for Dyson would be Morton for Vogelson, but on whatever Marte's PED provider is currently offering.
I was thinking the same thing. They will replace Cutch with Dyson and hope Meadows will be ready soon. That seems like it would be a Pirate move.

don't playoff teams make these kind of moves all the time? (sorry I couldn't think of any examples quickly).
SammyKhalifa

Potential Free Agents

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Royals extend QOs to Lorenzo Cain, Eric Hosmer, Mike Mustakas
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Potential Free Agents

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

63515D5D497B58515C595651300 wrote: Royals extend QOs to Lorenzo Cain, Eric Hosmer, Mike Mustakas

They will probably get three additional picks in the 2018 draft. An easy way to restock. They did their "window of opportunity" perfectly.
SCBucco

Potential Free Agents

Post by SCBucco »

7F747C7075746F2A2C5B627A7374743578741B0 wrote: The power hitters didn't get the big deals last off season.  It was like the on-base guys got the deals, not the power bats.  Will that change?

Moustakas is the best available 3B this free agency, but that is based on one really good season.  Before this year, he had only one full season of an OPS over .800 and plus 20 HRs. 

I'd take him in a heart beat.  But I do think Kang is better.

We aren't getting Moustakas. Is Kang better? I don't think so. We haven't seen him play in over a year.
SammyKhalifa

Potential Free Agents

Post by SammyKhalifa »

44545562747478170 wrote: The power hitters didn't get the big deals last off season.  It was like the on-base guys got the deals, not the power bats.  Will that change?

Moustakas is the best available 3B this free agency, but that is based on one really good season.  Before this year, he had only one full season of an OPS over .800 and plus 20 HRs. 

We aren't getting Moustakas.  Is Kang better?  I don't think so.  We haven't seen him play in over a year.

Yeah based on early Winter League returns we're waiting for a ghost.

Also, I might be wrong (probably am) but don't think that Moustakas will have any more productive of a season than several of the other options here.
SCBucco

Potential Free Agents

Post by SCBucco »

32000C0C182A09000D080700610 wrote: The power hitters didn't get the big deals last off season.  It was like the on-base guys got the deals, not the power bats.  Will that change?

We aren't getting Moustakas.  Is Kang better?  I don't think so.  We haven't seen him play in over a year.

Also, I might be wrong (probably am) but don't think that Moustakas will have any more productive of a season than several of the other options here. 

I'm seeing all these names that Pittsburgh should look into that are all pipe dreams.  Bottom line, when was the last time this organization made a true splash relative toward free agency or a trade?  When was the last time the Pirates got someone still in their prime instead of on the downward turn?  We aren't getting Donaldson; we are getting Moustakas. With the way this organization loves reclamation projects, I can see Pedro Alvarez coming back before either one of those two get contacted by Pittsburgh.
SammyKhalifa

Potential Free Agents

Post by SammyKhalifa »

7969685F4949452A0 wrote: The power hitters didn't get the big deals last off season.  It was like the on-base guys got the deals, not the power bats.  Will that change?

I'm seeing all these names that Pittsburgh should look into that are all pipe dreams.  Bottom line, when was the last time this organization made a true splash relative toward free agency or a trade?  When was the last time the Pirates got someone still in their prime instead of on the downward turn?  We aren't getting Donaldson; we are getting Moustakas.  With the way this organization loves reclamation projects, I can see Pedro Alvarez coming back before either one of those two get contacted by Pittsburgh.

Kang was a pretty big story--he exceeded expectations but it was a story.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Potential Free Agents

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1707063127272B440 wrote: The power hitters didn't get the big deals last off season.  It was like the on-base guys got the deals, not the power bats.  Will that change?

I'm seeing all these names that Pittsburgh should look into that are all pipe dreams.  Bottom line, when was the last time this organization made a true splash relative toward free agency or a trade?  When was the last time the Pirates got someone still in their prime instead of on the downward turn?  We aren't getting Donaldson; we are getting Moustakas.  With the way this organization loves reclamation projects, I can see Pedro Alvarez coming back before either one of those two get contacted by Pittsburgh.

I'm ok with that. Awesome.
Bobster21

Potential Free Agents

Post by Bobster21 »

0616172036363A550 wrote: The power hitters didn't get the big deals last off season.  It was like the on-base guys got the deals, not the power bats.  Will that change?

Well, this is the time of year Pirate fans can dream. Plus, we get the added bonus of NH later telling us they were in on the talks for all the guys they didn't get. :)