4/17 game: Four in a row?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

373F3C2B3D3D315E0 wrote: I get what you are saying but I just think Mercer is more likely to get a hit than Jaso. 

Fair enough. He might be. If we had tied it, we would have had an interesting infield alignment. Polanco PH for Harrison, so he could go to left and bring Frazier in to play short or second. I suppose Hanson would have had to play the other spot.
dmetz

Post by dmetz »

Against a RHP, how are you guys even questioning if Mercer is more likely to reach safely than Jaso?

It's really not even close. Mercers about a .315 OBP vs right and even beyond that's is in a terrible slump right now
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

I thought the Cards might gamble and give Jason an unintentional intentional walk., Neither Hansen, Stewart or Gosselin would frighten me.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

6E676F7E700A0 wrote: Against a RHP, how are you guys even questioning if Mercer is more likely to reach safely than Jaso?

It's really not even close.  Mercers about a .315 OBP vs right and even beyond that's is in a terrible slump right now

True. Danged if you do, danged if you don't. Hurdle sends Jaso up as a PHer, people complain. If Hurdle had let Mercer hit, people would complain. I was actually surprised by the move. I thought it was the right move, but I was surprised by it.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

Bottom line is that we miss Kang. He gives us more flexibility with our bench.
CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

My biggest takeaway tonight is that Nova was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

My 2nd biggest takeaway is that we wasted another brilliant pitching performance. Just like we did when Taillon threw 7 shutout innings in Boston.

Offense was miserable tonight. Even Frazier. And historically we have knocked Lynn around pretty good.

Was hoping we could get tonight's game because in my opinion tonight was our most favorable pitching matchup of the three.

Oh, and one more thing. Great at-bat by Polanco in the 9th but he was limping his way around to second. That's not a good sign. I was shocked they didn't run Hansen for him since he represented the tying run at that point ... but Jaso's at-bat made it a moot point anyway.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

4941425543434F200 wrote: Bottom line is that we miss Kang.  He gives us more flexibility with our bench.

Oh, for sure. He really lengthens the lineup. And deepens the bench. And shores up the infield defense (I think he's better than Freese, and it also allows Freese to sub in at first base.) If we hang in there until the AS break say, and Kang can get over here around July or so, that's like trading for a big bat at the trade deadline.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

456774696A6F68674473656569060 wrote: My biggest takeaway tonight is that Nova was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

Yes. This truly has the potential to be a playoff caliber rotation. And I'm quite serious when I say that. If Glasnow can harness his talent this year, and I think his last start was a big step in doing that, then you've got a top four of Cole-Taillon-Nova-Glasnow. There aren't too many teams that can match that. And Kuhl is not bad as your #5. Again, that's contingent on a lot. Taillon might have some growing pains. Nova could lose it. Glasnow may never find it. Cole may find it, then lose it, then find it, then lose it again. But, if...if...they all find "it," this rotation is as good as any in baseball.

Unrelated to this particular point, but if Harrison picks that throw on Grichuk's steal, does he score on Martinez's single? Probably...but you never know.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

I actually thought that if JHay picked the throw that it would have been an out at second. It looked like he tagged him without the ball
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

71797A4D5B7E5956380 wrote: My biggest takeaway tonight is that Nova was fantastic. Absolutely fantastic.

Yes.  This truly has the potential to be a playoff caliber rotation.  And I'm quite serious when I say that.  If Glasnow can harness his talent this year, and I think his last start was a big step in doing that, then you've got a top four of Cole-Taillon-Nova-Glasnow.  There aren't too many teams that can match that.  And Kuhl is not bad as your #5.  Again, that's contingent on a lot.  Taillon might have some growing pains.  Nova could lose it.  Glasnow may never find it.  Cole may find it, then lose it, then find it, then lose it again.  But, if...if...they all find "it," this rotation is as good as any in baseball.

Unrelated to this particular point, but if Harrison picks that throw on  Grichuk's steal, does he score on Martinez's single?  Probably...but you never know.

I am not sure why Kuhl doesn't get the respect. He is better than Glasnow right now. He has pitched better than Cole so far too.