If you trade Cutch?

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

If you trade Cutch?

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

0E28293E28384B0 wrote: I wonder if he would sign something around 5 years and $80M to $90M and would he be worth it.  At $8M/WAR, he's quite almost guaranteed to be worth that.

I know that Justin Upton had a great year and he is supposed to be a big plus defensively but I don't see him being worth a tremendous amount more than Cutch (Upton is one year younger)

Upton's deal is for 5 years and 106 million.  Maybe Cutch could be had for 4 years and 75 or five years and 90.  I can't see the Bucs going that high for him though.

My starting point would be 4 years for $70 million.

I agree about Upton and McCutchen being in the same ballpark. Upton has a back loaded contract where he will get $28 million at age 34 and only (only) $16 million in 2018.

A game changer for the Pirates could be front loaded contracts. Offer McCutchen (in millions) $25, $18, $14, and $13 over the next four years. He still gets his money and if the team wants to trade him, it will be easier. Contending teams would have a bigger interest if the Pirates are out of it. Or the Pirates can add easier in his later years if they are in contention.
IABucFan

If you trade Cutch?

Post by IABucFan »

Why would Andrew WANT to sign an extension here? Not asking tongue in cheek, either. But, I need a reason for why he would want to do that.
Ecbucs

If you trade Cutch?

Post by Ecbucs »

181013243217303F510 wrote: Why would Andrew WANT to sign an extension here? Not asking tongue in cheek, either. But, I need a reason for why he would want to do that.

he is sentimental?

who knows, maybe he can't wait to get out.
SammyKhalifa

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

151D1E293F1A3D325C0 wrote: Why would Andrew WANT to sign an extension here? Not asking tongue in cheek, either. But, I need a reason for why he would want to do that.

Is it that crazy? Why won't Joey Votto (and several other players across many sports) waive no trade clauses? Why won't I pick up an move to Raleigh to make more money?
johnfluharty

If you trade Cutch?

Post by johnfluharty »

60686B5C4A6F4847290 wrote: Why would Andrew WANT to sign an extension here? Not asking tongue in cheek, either. But, I need a reason for why he would want to do that.

I think he really understands and appreciates how much he means to Pirates fans, and I think the feeling is mutual.  I think he would love to stay to try and win it all for the fans. 

johnfluharty

If you trade Cutch?

Post by johnfluharty »

4540474149435A474E5D5B562F0 wrote: Why would Andrew WANT to sign an extension here? Not asking tongue in cheek, either. But, I need a reason for why he would want to do that.

I think he really understands and appreciates how much he means to Pirates fans, and I think the feeling is mutual.  I think he would love to stay to try and win it all in Pittsburgh for the fans. 

Bobster21

If you trade Cutch?

Post by Bobster21 »

From everything he's ever said, it would appear Cutch would want an extension. On the other hand, he's very media savvy and would not say he wanted to leave even if he did. He's already made 50 million in his career and will make another 14.5 this year so it's possible he's not looking for a giant payday somewhere else. But it's not uncommon for players to want one more big contract regardless of how much they've already made. But who could blame him if he wants to play for a better team in the last years of his career.

So I don't think he will sign an extension. Too many reasons not to: (1) may want more money, (2) may not want a huge contract but cheap owner won't give even a moderate contract, (3) may want to play for a better team at this stage of his career, (4) Pirates may be more interested in prospects they could get for him in a trade than in keeping him (i.e., he could be dealt at midseason regardless of whether he would have signed an extension).
SCBucco

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SCBucco »

7C55495C515E5401090408300 wrote: What would you want as the main piece as a return? Power hitting third base man, hard throwing starting pitcher or another out fielder with power. Maybe one of each if he is traded but what would be your main piece in a deal as the return!

The best collection of prospects you can get. A team that deal for Cutch believe he is a missing piece to the puzzle, therefore, they won't be sending a MLB player that is any good back. Last years deal that Washington offered - especially after a poor year by Cutch, made too much sense. Gio, Reynaldo Lopez and Giolito. Expect, NH wanted Robles too and Cutch didn't hold that much value. Big time fail.
SammyKhalifa

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4353526573737F100 wrote: What would you want as the main piece as a return? Power hitting third base man, hard throwing starting pitcher or another out fielder with power. Maybe one of each if he is traded but what would be your main piece in a deal as the return!

The best collection of prospects you can get.  A team that deal for Cutch believe he is a missing piece to the puzzle, therefore, they won't be sending a MLB player that is any good back.  Last years deal that Washington offered - especially after a poor year by Cutch, made too much sense.  Gio, Reynaldo Lopez and Giolito.  Expect, NH wanted Robles too and Cutch didn't hold that much value.  Big time fail.

Do we really know that, or is it a guess
SCBucco

If you trade Cutch?

Post by SCBucco »

6E434E5F58495E1E1D2C0 wrote: From everything he's ever said, it would appear Cutch would want an extension. On the other hand, he's very media savvy and would not say he wanted to leave even if he did. He's already made 50 million in his career and will make another 14.5 this year so it's possible he's not looking for a giant payday somewhere else. But it's not uncommon for players to want one more big contract regardless of how much they've already made. But who could blame him if he wants to play for a better team in the last years of his career.

So I don't think he will sign an extension. Too many reasons not to: (1) may want more money, (2) may not want a huge contract but cheap owner won't give even a moderate contract, (3) may want to play for a better team at this stage of his career, (4) Pirates may be more interested in prospects they could get for him in a trade than in keeping him (i.e., he could be dealt at midseason regardless of whether he would have signed an extension). 

Saying is one thing ... actions on the field are another. I really think Cutch wants to play for a good team. His body language over the last two years for most of the time suggests this. I'm totally against resigning him. He isn't a long terms solution. Get a nice package of players that could be. This is not the MVP Cutch. This is a guy trending downward.