Ray Searage

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Ecbucs

Ray Searage

Post by Ecbucs »

637B797E7E69787F626375100 wrote: Maybe they would be even worse without Searage?

I gotta agree with Dog, here.

The fact that the rotation is as bad as it is even with Searage, is even more proof that we need to get rid of the guy with the loser mentality that's currently employed as our GM.

His name is Neal Huntington.

When he walks into a room, flowers wilt.
Not sure about Huntington but for sure we don't have to worry about anyone stealing him.  His judgement certainly suspect haven't seen any great moves he's made.  Hurdle is a disaster, was good for the first few years but his record and this teams reflects his record, content with losing never going to win the big ones.  If Hurdle is resigned, this team is doomed for the forseeable future.

Huntington has taken the team as far as he can, as has Hurdle. New blood may not work because of the restrictions placed by ownership but it is time to give someone else a chance.
dmetz

Ray Searage

Post by dmetz »

496469787F6E79393A0B0 wrote: I think it depends more on the pitcher than the coaching. Maybe he gets thru to some but can't get thru to others. Maybe some would have improved with or without Searage while others benefited from his coaching. Happ has been a different pitcher since he met Searage. Nova was for awhile but then regressed. Cole has declined while still under Searage. Morton has improved since going elsewhere. There's no magic formula. Searage seems to be well respected throughout MLB. But there are pitchers he can help and others he can't.

And apparently pitchers he helps and gets accolades for, who then forget what he taught them and return to norms...while still under his tutilage.

The underlying question is why is Cole, Taillon, and recently Nova though he's not there quite yet, so pedestrian and why can't Searage fix them?

Bobster21

Ray Searage

Post by Bobster21 »

252C24353B410 wrote: I think it depends more on the pitcher than the coaching. Maybe he gets thru to some but can't get thru to others. Maybe some would have improved with or without Searage while others benefited from his coaching. Happ has been a different pitcher since he met Searage. Nova was for awhile but then regressed. Cole has declined while still under Searage. Morton has improved since going elsewhere. There's no magic formula. Searage seems to be well respected throughout MLB. But there are pitchers he can help and others he can't.

And apparently pitchers he helps and gets accolades for, who then forget what he taught them and return to norms...while still under his tutilage.

The underlying question is why is Cole, Taillon, and recently Nova though he's not there quite yet, so pedestrian and why can't Searage fix them?

Yes, that's my point. I certainly don't mean to denigrate Searage. He's an outstanding pitching coach. But it seemed like the strategy of the FO was that he was the Pitching Whisperer who could turn around the career of any reclamation project. In some cases he has. In some cases he hasn't. Some have even regressed under his tutelage. Doesn't mean he isn't a good pitching coach. But he can only work with what he's got. When I said he's overvalued, I mean he can't spin straw into gold.