Jordy Mercer

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jordy Mercer

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

With the play of Andrew McCutchen, I feel the play of Jordy Mercer is being overlooked. He has been pretty hot lately batting .369 in June. He is hitting right-handed pitching at .326 overall while struggling against lefties (.140). His glove and smarts on the field have been excellent too.

Mercer was one of my "breakout" players this year as he is entering free agency. Do the Pirates extend him? If so, for how much and how long. He is 30 years old and is becoming a free agent for the first time. He may not be in position to cash in again.

Will Kevin Newman be ready next year, assuming that is Mercer's replacement. Newman needs to start hitting in Altoona so he can finish the season in Indianapolis.

Thoughts?
Bobster21

Jordy Mercer

Post by Bobster21 »

363D35393C3D266365122B333A3D3D7C313D520 wrote: With the play of Andrew McCutchen, I feel the play of Jordy Mercer is being overlooked.  He has been pretty hot lately batting .369 in June.  He is hitting right-handed pitching at .326 overall while struggling against lefties (.140).  His glove and smarts on the field have been excellent too. 

Mercer was one of my "breakout" players this year as he is entering free agency.  Do the Pirates extend him?  If so, for how much and how long.  He is 30 years old and is becoming a free agent for the first time. He may not be in position to cash in again.

Will Kevin Newman be ready next year, assuming that is Mercer's replacement.  Newman needs to start hitting in Altoona so he can finish the season in Indianapolis. 

Thoughts?
He's arb eligible next year with free agency looming in 2019.
SammyKhalifa

Jordy Mercer

Post by SammyKhalifa »

745954454253440407360 wrote: With the play of Andrew McCutchen, I feel the play of Jordy Mercer is being overlooked.  He has been pretty hot lately batting .369 in June.  He is hitting right-handed pitching at .326 overall while struggling against lefties (.140).  His glove and smarts on the field have been excellent too. 

Mercer was one of my "breakout" players this year as he is entering free agency.  Do the Pirates extend him?  If so, for how much and how long.  He is 30 years old and is becoming a free agent for the first time. He may not be in position to cash in again.

Will Kevin Newman be ready next year, assuming that is Mercer's replacement.  Newman needs to start hitting in Altoona so he can finish the season in Indianapolis. 

Thoughts?

That might be really fortunate timing actually. I like Jordy but Newman is still an exciting player to me
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Jordy Mercer

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

486568797E6F78383B0A0 wrote: With the play of Andrew McCutchen, I feel the play of Jordy Mercer is being overlooked.  He has been pretty hot lately batting .369 in June.  He is hitting right-handed pitching at .326 overall while struggling against lefties (.140).  His glove and smarts on the field have been excellent too. 

Thoughts?

Oh, that is better. I thought he was a free agent after this year. Do the Pirates offer an extension to buy it out and one year of free agency?
ChitownBucco

Jordy Mercer

Post by ChitownBucco »

Very quiet, under the radar, under rated offensive year for Jordy

Currently ranks 7th in OPS for shortstops in all MLB