Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Another affordable option gone.

Post by JollyRoger »

Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

66434040557E434B495E2C0 wrote: Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million

Saw that and it burns my hide. We need two for the rotation, not one. He would have been a primary option based on his history here, with Searage.

We are not going to like who we bring in for the rotation.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

4F5F5E697F7F731C0 wrote: Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million

Saw that and it burns my hide.  We need two for the rotation, not one.  He would have been a primary option based on his history here, with Searage.

Yeah, this one pretty much stunned me. Who in the heck is Neal going to target? Maybe 2x$11M is beyond the Buccos! Yikes!
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

393E28202E397E720B2C262A2227652824264B0 wrote: Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million

Saw that and it burns my hide.  We need two for the rotation, not one.  He would have been a primary option based on his history here, with Searage.

Yeah, this one pretty much stunned me.  Who in the heck is Neal going to target?  Maybe 2x$11M is beyond the Buccos!  Yikes!

The pitching options on the market this year suck as a group. We need two IMO. Volquez seemed to be in the best of the best of that group. With all the rumors out there that Cutch might be on the block (will only bring back prospects) and possibly Watson (one maybe decent prospect), it seems as though its looking to ditch salaries instead of adding ... if there is truth to these rumors. There is money to be spent if there is validity in these rumors.
PMike

Post by PMike »

6760767E7067202C557278747C793B767A78150 wrote: Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million

Yeah, this one pretty much stunned me.  Who in the heck is Neal going to target?  Maybe 2x$11M is beyond the Buccos!  Yikes!

Just to be clear, some of you are mad that the Pirates didn't sign a guy who is in his mid 30s and just through up a 5.37 ERA last year? He led the league in ER allowed.

What am I missing? Why is anyone upset? This isn't the pitcher of 2 or three years ago.
rucker59@gmail.com

Post by rucker59@gmail.com »

514C686A64010 wrote: Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million

Just to be clear, some of you are mad that the Pirates didn't sign a guy who is in his mid 30s and just through up a 5.37 ERA last year?  He led the league in ER allowed.

What am I missing?  Why is anyone upset?  This isn't the pitcher of 2 or three years ago.

"Upset" would not be the correct word, at least for me. Confused - yes.

We've got some numbers to consider the cost of pitching this year. Charlie and Volquez are pushing $$$ that I expect the Pirates to choke over. It will only get more expensive from here if the pitcher has any perigee. So back to my Q - who the heck does Neal pursue?

Volquez is an interesting possibility because of the Ray's track record with him. I don't think it's unreasonable to believe Volquez could be a very positive addition to the Pirate rotation. Certainly as good as anyone they could acquire in this FA. M

Personally, I agree with SC - I think the Pirates need two new starters. Volquez and one more from a trade would make sense to me. And affordable, surely. Now I'm thinking Neal only brings in one starter, from a trade. I think $11M for Volquez would have been an appropriate gamble.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

1F0226242A4F0 wrote: Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million

Just to be clear, some of you are mad that the Pirates didn't sign a guy who is in his mid 30s and just through up a 5.37 ERA last year?  He led the league in ER allowed.

What am I missing?  Why is anyone upset?  This isn't the pitcher of 2 or three years ago.

Agree.

I am glad they passed on Volquez or didn't land him. People just want the Pirates to spend money in sake of spending. I'd rather use a young guy than Volquez for any money.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

4E495F57594E09057C5B515D5550125F53513C0 wrote: Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million

"Upset" would not be the correct word, at least for me.  Confused - yes.   

We've got some numbers to consider the cost of pitching this year.   Charlie and Volquez are pushing $$$ that I expect the Pirates to choke over.  It will only get more expensive from here if the pitcher has any perigee.   So back to my Q - who the heck does Neal pursue? 

Volquez is an interesting possibility because of the Ray's track record with him.  I don't think it's unreasonable to believe Volquez could be a very positive addition to the Pirate rotation.  Certainly as good as anyone they could acquire in this FA.  M

Personally, I agree with SC - I think the Pirates need two new starters.  Volquez and one more from a trade would make sense to me.  And affordable, surely.  Now I'm thinking Neal only brings in one starter, from a trade.  I think $11M for Volquez would have been an appropriate gamble. 

Is Volquez better or worse at this point than Jeff Locke or Jon Niese?
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

32000C0C182A09000D080700610 wrote: Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million

We've got some numbers to consider the cost of pitching this year.   Charlie and Volquez are pushing $$$ that I expect the Pirates to choke over.  It will only get more expensive from here if the pitcher has any perigee.   So back to my Q - who the heck does Neal pursue? 

Volquez is an interesting possibility because of the Ray's track record with him.  I don't think it's unreasonable to believe Volquez could be a very positive addition to the Pirate rotation.  Certainly as good as anyone they could acquire in this FA.  M

Personally, I agree with SC - I think the Pirates need two new starters.  Volquez and one more from a trade would make sense to me.  And affordable, surely.  Now I'm thinking Neal only brings in one starter, from a trade.  I think $11M for Volquez would have been an appropriate gamble. 

It is ok if the Pirates didn't sign him because they didn't think he would pitch well. It is not ok if the Pirates think he can pitch well but they couldn't spend 11 or 12 million a year for two years on him.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

61535F5F4B795A535E5B5453320 wrote: Edinson Volquez to the Marlins. 2 years 22 million

No, but those two won't be back either.