June 6, D-Day, vs Orioles

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

79727A767372692C2A5D647C757272337E721D0 wrote: Glasnow in the bullpen?  He has more base runners than anyone.  Glasnow needs to go to the minors.

Watson would be just as bad in the 6th or 7th inning. Wait, maybe he doesn't like the pressure like McCutchen? 

Nicasio probably needs stretched out. Maybe he can go longer?

Hurdle said Leblanc has better splits against righties and the Orioles have been reverse split guys. At least he had a reason. 
Totally disagree that Glasnow should go to the minors, he should go to the pen. The guy can throw 100 mph, has a good curve/breaking ball. He just needs to get his feet on the ground. Nolan Ryan started out in the bullpen, many great pitchers started there.

If you think Hurdle had a good reason to bring in LeBlanc, you believe he had a good reason to bring in Watson. Now that's ridiculous.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I just don't know what Prince or Searage would do differently? There was no weird strategy that blew this game. It was his Closer.

I think Watson throws too many strikes. I don't like a lefty Closer to begin with, but not sure what to do. I would hate to move Rivero out of his Stopper role. I don't think it is mental for Watson. He just looks over used and it caught up to him this year.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

667E7C7B7B6C7D7A676670150 wrote: Glasnow in the bullpen?  He has more base runners than anyone.  Glasnow needs to go to the minors.

Watson would be just as bad in the 6th or 7th inning. Wait, maybe he doesn't like the pressure like McCutchen? 

Hurdle said Leblanc has better splits against righties and the Orioles have been reverse split guys. At least he had a reason. 
Totally disagree that Glasnow should go to the minors, he should go to the pen.  The guy can throw 100 mph, has a good curve/breaking ball.  He just needs to get his feet on the ground.  Nolan Ryan started out in the bullpen, many great pitchers started there. 

If you think Hurdle had a good reason to bring in LeBlanc, you believe he had a good reason to bring in Watson.  Now that's ridiculous. 

Glasnow is far from Nolan Ryan. Jeff Locke started in the bullpen too. Glasnow doesn't throw strikes. He is one of the wildest pitches I have ever seen. No way would I want him coming into a game with men on base. Glasnow isn't ready for that.

I didn't say it was a good reason. I said at least he had a reason. If you noticed, I questioned bringing in Leblanc when it occurred.

In The 9th, I am still bringing in Watson up two runs. Who are you bringing in with the options available?
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

767D75797C7D662325526B737A7D7D3C717D120 wrote: I just don't know what Prince or Searage would do differently?  There was no weird strategy that blew this game. It was his Closer.

I think Watson throws too many strikes. I don't like a lefty Closer to begin with, but not sure what to do. I would hate to move Rivero out of his Stopper role. I don't think it is mental for Watson. He just looks over used and it caught up to him this year.
No it caught up to him last year did you not watch him try and close games after becoming the closer.

As far as what they could have done different, how about this, leave Nicasio in to finish the 7th and 8th inning or at least part of the 8th and bring in Rivero to finish. That would have at least gave us a chance. To say there wasn't anything else CH could do, I don't agree with that period. There are always other ways to get it done, but you have to be willing to think outside of CH box. He has become to close to many of these players and isn't making decisions that give the team the best chance to win.

His 1st few years with the Pirates were pretty good but he has increasingly making decision that make no sense that is if your trying to win every game.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

4A41494540415A1F196E574F464141004D412E0 wrote: Glasnow in the bullpen?  He has more base runners than anyone.  Glasnow needs to go to the minors.

Totally disagree that Glasnow should go to the minors, he should go to the pen.  The guy can throw 100 mph, has a good curve/breaking ball.  He just needs to get his feet on the ground.  Nolan Ryan started out in the bullpen, many great pitchers started there. 

If you think Hurdle had a good reason to bring in LeBlanc, you believe he had a good reason to bring in Watson.  Now that's ridiculous. 

Glasnow is far from Nolan Ryan. Jeff Locke started in the bullpen too. Glasnow doesn't throw strikes. He is one of the wildest pitches I have ever seen. No way would I want him coming into a game with men on base. Glasnow isn't ready for that.

I didn't say it was a good reason. I said at least he had a reason. If you noticed, I questioned bringing in Leblanc when it occurred.

In The 9th, I am still bringing in Watson up two runs. Who are you bringing in with the options available? 

You obviously never saw Ryan pitch when he was 21ish. He was wild as he could be that's why the Mets traded him. I don't think we know what Glasnow is but I'm sure not ready to give up on him. I believe CH is totally misusing him, and may be risking his career. Again I will say it, put him in the pen, bring him in low pressure situations, let him get some confidence and lets see what he can do. He has all the tools just needs some confidence, that's my opinion.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Maybe leave Nicasio in, but Rivero did come in to get the big lefty out after Nicasio gave up a hit. Nicasio didn't get a proper warm up. I am not sure if that came into affect.

Yeah, I know Watson showed signs last year. His fastball isn't there anymore.

But the four best relievers were used tonight. Two of them gave up runs. You won't last long if you just use two relievers all the time or expect Rivero to go 30 pitches every night.
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

28232B272223387D7B0C352D242323622F234C0 wrote: I just don't know what Prince or Searage would do differently?  There was no weird strategy that blew this game. It was his Closer.

It's pretty simple. Rivero is the closer of the future ... once Watson is moved. I would move him to that spot and move Watson back. One is a closer, one isn't. Watson can't close. Its mental with him.
steve49

Post by steve49 »

5A51595550514A0F097E475F565151105D513E0 wrote: Missing that other bullpen arm. Hudson and Watson are failing the team big time. Hudson didn't even get the nod against all the right handed batters.

Nicasio and Rivero are being used to get out of jams and to get to the 9th. The offense even tagged on another insurance run and Watson still blew it.

What is Hurdle supposed to do?  I don't know. There is no one else to bring in.

Now Cervelli and Nova got hurt.

What Hurdle is suppose to do is remove Watson from the closer role and figure it out from there. Rivero has earned that role.The rest of what you have throughout the thread is correct but you fail to mention this. And yes Watson will hurt us just as much by giving up 2 run Hrs in the 8th. But that said ...your BP has no chance to be successful if your closer does not have "closer stuff."
SCBucco

Post by SCBucco »

637B797E7E69787F626375100 wrote: Glasnow in the bullpen?  He has more base runners than anyone.  Glasnow needs to go to the minors.

Going to the minors does nothing for Glasnow really. He is a lousy starter right now who really doesn't give his team much of an opportunity to win, as his close to 7 ERA speaks of. Put him in the pen as a long innings guy. Someone is gone from this rotation once JT comes back - Kuhl or Glasnow. Either one is a good candidate to leave the rotation.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I thought most people want the best pitcher to get out of jams? Isn't that Rivero? Why save Rivero for a chance to close the game?

What makes you think Watson would be better as a set up man or first guy in when a starter is in trouble?

I think Watson needs removed as the Closer, but I don't think Rivero should be wasted in that role. I like bringing in the best pitcher so the game isn't lost before the 9th.