5/21 Game Thread - Kuhl Runnings vs Phils

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

2C272F2326273C797F083129202727662B27480 wrote: Watson with another clean inning. Two in a row for him.

Not much action today. A win is a win.

Raise it.
I believe the 1st clean inning of the year was yesterday. Unbelievable your 9th inning man has only 2 clean innings in 20 or so outings. He has shown little ability to be the closer while the real closer Rivero has to wait for Hurdle to wake up and use him to the best benefit of the team which to most people is winning games. That excludes Hurdle of course.

Winning comes second to playing guys with seniority or getting Watson a better contract or something else in Hurdles empty head.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The use of Rivero might not be the correct thought process, but it is working. He is coming in to get out of jams, a tough lefty, or to set up the 9th.

Most here want Hurdle to not save his best reliever for the 9th. He is doing that. Its hard to complain about that.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Yeah, people complain when they save their best pitcher until the 9th inning, but also complain when their best pitcher ISN'T being used in the ninth inning.

One way or the other please. 
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

070C04080D0C175254231A020B0C0C4D000C630 wrote: The use of Rivero might not be the correct thought process, but it is working. He is coming in to get out of jams, a tough lefty, or to set up the 9th. 

Most here want Hurdle to not save his best reliever for the 9th.  He is doing that.  Its hard to complain about that.

This is a really good point. Rivero has not been used as a set-up guy but the shutdown guy from the 7th inning on. I like how we are using him. And on Watson, I'm not sure how many of his "not clean" innings have been due to errors behind him, but that's happened a few times this year. They may not be clean, but he hasn't blown many either.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

487A76766250737A77727D7A1B0 wrote: Yeah, people complain when they save their best pitcher until the 9th inning, but also complain when their best pitcher ISN'T being used in the ninth inning.

Yeah, fans have been so indoctrinated into the closer concept that it's natural to expect the best reliever there. I've always considered it a waste to keep your best reliever on ice just in case you're already winning in the 9th. The guys who can get out of jams to preserve that lead prior to the 9th seem to have a more important job. So while it may seem unconventional to use Rivero and Watson in the current order, I prefer it. Watson has finally had 2 clean outings (his first all season). He's generally been in trouble every time and I doubt he could have slammed the door in prior innings the way Rivero has. But entering in the 9th with no one on base, the damage he has done has not been bad enough to hurt them.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

664B46575041561615240 wrote: Yeah, people complain when they save their best pitcher until the 9th inning, but also complain when their best pitcher ISN'T being used in the ninth inning.

Yeah, fans have been so indoctrinated into the closer concept that it's natural to expect the best reliever there. I've always considered it a waste to keep your best reliever on ice just in case you're already winning in the 9th. The guys who can get out of jams to preserve that lead prior to the 9th seem to have a more important job. So while it may seem unconventional to use Rivero and Watson in the current order, I prefer it. Watson has finally had 2 clean outings (his first all season).  He's generally been in trouble every time and I doubt he could have slammed the door in prior innings the way Rivero has. But entering in the 9th with no one on base, the damage he has done has not been bad enough to hurt them. 

And if his save count lets us trade him for another Rivero I'm all for it.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Hudson was warming up when Rivero was in trouble.

Rivero is probably out for Monday's game. He threw 30 pitches.

I loved that trade last year. It was a tough trade since the Pirates were still kind of in it, but really weren't. The first time I saw Rivero pitch, I thought he would be special. He has hit over 100 mph many times this year. Should be an All Star.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

I liked the idea of it, but not really knowing anything about Rivero or Hearn I wasn't sure about the specific return.