Another FO head scratcher

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

Nothing this FO does surprises me. But I'm hoping there's some semblance of logic to this. With the AS break coming up, Diaz can catch at AAA. Maybe they'll bring him back after that.
MaineBucs

Post by MaineBucs »

This is a bad move and an even worse short term move.

This is the last 3 game series before the All-Star break. At present, none of the Pirate pitchers are scheduled to pitch in the all-star game, meaning every pitcher will get a 3 day break. We now have a 13 man staff for a 3 game series.

Further, many of the relievers haven't seen that much action lately, particularly Bastardo, Hudson, Marinez and LeBlanc. And, if needed, even Cole should be able to throw an inning or two on Sunday.

Continuing, we have our 3 best starters throwing in this series, Tallion, Williams and Nova, all of whom have the ability to go into the 6th or longer. In short, less likely need for a mop-up guy out of the pen, which is what Schugel will be.

In short, we need hitters more than pitchers. Even if Diaz didn't start, he could be a valuable bat off the bench in every game because either Stewart or Cervelli would be available as the other catcher, and if Stewart starts, either Diaz or Cervelli could be used as a pinch-hitter. If it were me, I would want at least 3 guys on the bench who could get a hit - Diaz, Jaso or Osuna. At present, neither Moroff or Stewart is hitting at all.

Plain and simple, bad short term move. Perhaps after the all-star break it would have made more sense, but not for the next 3 games against the Cubs.
ArnoldRothstein

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

They could have sent Kuhl down for ten days. You have to figure the first three starters after the break will be Nova, Taillon, and Cole. Kuhl could come back for the next series.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

032E23323524337370410 wrote: Nothing this FO does surprises me. But I'm hoping there's some semblance of logic to this. With the AS break coming up, Diaz can catch at AAA. Maybe they'll bring him back after that.

don't see that all star break has anything to do with this. Indianapolis is off on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (minor league all star game is Wednesday). I think they wanted an extra pitcher and decided third catcher was one to go.

I'm hoping Stewart is gone soon. Stallings has shown enough to be third catcher.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

5D7B7A6D7B6B180 wrote: Nothing this FO does surprises me. But I'm hoping there's some semblance of logic to this. With the AS break coming up, Diaz can catch at AAA. Maybe they'll bring him back after that.

don't see that all star break has anything to do with this.  Indianapolis is off on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (minor league all star game is Wednesday).  I think they wanted an extra pitcher and decided third catcher was one to go.

I'm hoping Stewart is gone soon.  Stallings has shown enough to be third catcher.
Oh well. So much for finding any logic in this move. It's obvious Cervelli and Diaz should be sharing the position. But what can you expect from a team that thinks the smartest thing they can do is find a lot of games to not play their best players.
Ecbucs

Post by Ecbucs »

230E03121504135350610 wrote: Nothing this FO does surprises me. But I'm hoping there's some semblance of logic to this. With the AS break coming up, Diaz can catch at AAA. Maybe they'll bring him back after that.

don't see that all star break has anything to do with this.  Indianapolis is off on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (minor league all star game is Wednesday).  I think they wanted an extra pitcher and decided third catcher was one to go.

I'm hoping Stewart is gone soon.  Stallings has shown enough to be third catcher.
Oh well. So much for finding any logic in this move. It's obvious Cervelli and Diaz should be sharing the position. But what can you expect from a team that thinks the smartest thing they can do is find a lot of games to not play their best players. 

It is obvious if the goal is to put best team out there to try and win games.

To me, last season and this season are clear evidence that winning is maybe 4th or 5th on list of team's goals.
Jerseykc

Post by Jerseykc »

But, But, But, many here had Cisco as our savior (me included) but that ended up being one season.

Living in the NY area, I know he was a fan favorite but something in the back of my mind, the PED suspension, kept creeping into my thoughts.

He did get paid and probably never has to worry for money for the rest of his life. But we're stuck with him through 2019.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0C2A2B3C2A3A490 wrote: Nothing this FO does surprises me. But I'm hoping there's some semblance of logic to this. With the AS break coming up, Diaz can catch at AAA. Maybe they'll bring him back after that.

To me, last season and this season are clear evidence that winning is maybe 4th or 5th on list of team's goals.

That is precisely what is so frustrating and exasperating about this team. There just never seems to be an emphasis on putting the best team on the field. Certainly not 2 whole days in a row.
skinnyhorse

Post by skinnyhorse »

466B66777061763635040 wrote: Nothing this FO does surprises me. But I'm hoping there's some semblance of logic to this. With the AS break coming up, Diaz can catch at AAA. Maybe they'll bring him back after that.

That is precisely what is so frustrating and exasperating about this team. There just never seems to be an emphasis on putting the best team on the field. Certainly not 2 whole days in a row.

This is why I say Hurdle has got to go. I agree we never put the best team on the field trying to win. That has got to be Hurdle's fault. Fire the guy.