Sunday ... A couple of thoughts

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

CarolinaBucco

Post by CarolinaBucco »

1. I'm not a big fan of this latest trend of sitting Bell vs. left-handers. I think Bell is at the point now that he should start from either side of the plate.

2. It's unbelievable what Glasnow and Brault (and to a lesser extent, Kingham) are doing at AAA.

Brault since May 6: 10-2 with a 1.43 ERA.

Glasnow since being sent down: 8-0 with a 1.57 ERA.

3. I honestly don't understand why the Pirates haven't gone out and acquired an established major league outfielder. Just someone who can play solid defensively and hit maybe .250. This team NEEDS that desperately. I'm certain we could get one for a B-level or C-level prospect.

4. Really frustrated with Polanco. Is a case of recurring hamstring injuries the fault of the player or the training staff/medical team? I honestly don't know who is to blame.

5. Have a bad feeling about facing Happ today. Sure wish we had beaten the rookie yesterday. Kuhl needs to be great (again), and that's asking a lot vs. this lineup.

6. But it sure would be nice to get back to .500 and stay 3 games out heading into a huge week vs. Brewers & Cards.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

1. Starling Marte (R) CF

2. Josh Harrison (R) 2B

3. Andrew McCutchen (R) DH

4. David Freese (R) 3B

5. Jose Osuna (R) 1B

6. Sean Rodriguez (R) RF

7. Jordy Mercer (R) SS

8. Francisco Cervelli (R) C

9. Adam Frazier (L) LF
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Lemme add one more...I really wish they'd get David Freese out of the clean-up spot. McCutchen is having an outstanding year. I was absolutely wrong about him. I thought he was done. Thrilled to have been proven wrong. But, imagine what he could be doing with someone providing actual protection behind him in the lineup. Freese is a terrific guy, and a good ballplayer. But, by his own admission, he shouldn't be starting everyday. I'd hit him sixth.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

525A596E785D7A751B0 wrote: Lemme add one more...I really wish they'd get David Freese out of the clean-up spot.  McCutchen is having an outstanding year.  I was absolutely wrong about him.  I thought he was done.  Thrilled to have been proven wrong.  But, imagine what he could be doing with someone providing actual protection behind him in the lineup.  Freese is a terrific guy, and a good ballplayer.  But, by his own admission, he shouldn't be starting everyday.  I'd hit him sixth.

And just like that, he makes me eat my words. Nice AB from Freese.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

Have to say...I'm sort of a closet Jays fan.  A few weeks ago when I was livid at the Bucs (still sort of torqued off at them, FWIW), I tried to become a full time Jays fan (and Astros and Cards).  I'd say they are definitely my favorite AL team.  Toronto is one of my favorite cities to visit.  Absolutely beautiful city, with amazing people.  Would go back to Toronto in an instant.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Disastrous 1st inning as Kuhl gives up 5 runs. Not the kind of game and start the Pirates were looking for today out of Kuhl in a game they really need to win to win this series.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0B2C3D393C211E2A3D3C3C21580 wrote: Disastrous 1st inning as Kuhl gives up 5 runs. Not the kind of game and start the Pirates were looking for today out of Kuhl in a game they really need to win to win this series.
Yes, it appears that once again the effort to achieve .500 has resulted in either fatigue or lackadaisical effort or lack of confidence that they can burst thru and get past .500. Looks like they're working on a new losing streak.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I wonder if Mercer could have tagged the runner before stealing if home occurred?
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

2229212D2829327771063F272E2929682529460 wrote: I wonder if Mercer could have tagged the runner before stealing if home occurred?
No, the runner stopped to prevent that.
SteadyFreddy

Post by SteadyFreddy »

Obviously not a disaster losing 2 out 3 this weekend but the Pirates are starting to get to a point here soon where this won't be good enough especially with essentially every series left aside from the LA series next week here and the last weekend in Washington is against a team in the NL Central. Need a 4-2 week at the very worst this week in these next 6 games versus the Brewers and Cards. The Cards are now tied for 1st place with the Cubs and have won 8 in a row so needless to say the 4 games upcoming at home next weekend against the Cardinals are extremely important games to win.