Glasnow at AAA - Good and Bad

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

So far today for Indy, Glasnow is thru 4 innings, 1 Hit, 1 ER, 4 BB's, 5 K's. 68 pitches, 34 strikes.

Gameday had him at 97-98 in first 2 innings.

Pedro is 0-2 for Norfolk.

Kingham pitches game 2 of today's DH
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

Blah.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

4 walks in 4 innings. Not good.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

I don't want the walks but would take some walks for fewer hits. When I watched him it seemed like he was throwing 94-93 and was hitting the middle of the plate a lot. I would take some effective wildness for more unhittable stuff. I think his first few starts had him at such a loss that he was holding back on the fastball to throw strikes. In my opinion, he needs to let it rip in the minors while working on control and not just backing off on the speed.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

12222E3535282F0C203232410 wrote: So far today for Indy, Glasnow is thru 4 innings, 1 Hit, 1 ER, 4 BB's, 5 K's. 68 pitches, 34 strikes.

Gameday had him at 97-98 in first 2 innings.

Pedro is 0-2 for Norfolk.

Kingham pitches game 2 of today's DH
6 IP 2 Hits, 1 ER, 4 BB's, 8 K's. 89 Pitches

3 of the 4 BB's were in the 3rd inning (to lead off the inning).
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

0901021503030F600 wrote: I don't want the walks but would take some walks for fewer hits.  When I watched him it seemed like he was throwing 94-93 and was hitting the middle of the plate a lot.  I would take some effective wildness for more unhittable stuff.  I think his first few starts had him at such a loss that he was holding back on the fastball to throw strikes.  In my opinion, he needs to let it rip in the minors while working on control and not just backing off on the speed. 
I expect fewer hits at AAA than in MLB. But if he can't throw strikes there, he can't throw them in MLB either. So the walks concern me more than the fewer hits excite me.
ScottinMass

Post by ScottinMass »

4E636E7F78697E3E3D0C0 wrote: I don't want the walks but would take some walks for fewer hits.  When I watched him it seemed like he was throwing 94-93 and was hitting the middle of the plate a lot.  I would take some effective wildness for more unhittable stuff.  I think his first few starts had him at such a loss that he was holding back on the fastball to throw strikes.  In my opinion, he needs to let it rip in the minors while working on control and not just backing off on the speed. 
I expect fewer hits at AAA than in MLB. But if he can't throw strikes there, he can't throw them in MLB either. So the walks concern me more than the fewer hits excite me.

I agree. But most important for me is his confidence. Throwing 6 or 7 innings per start, giving up 1 or 2 runs in those starts, throwing 89-100 pitches per start. Let's start with those things, and then I'm going to worry about the walks. I'm assuming he'll be down for a while, so let's get the head screwed back on right. He's still 23. Plenty of time for him to continue to mature.
Bobster21

Post by Bobster21 »

7B4B475C5C414665495B5B280 wrote: I don't want the walks but would take some walks for fewer hits.  When I watched him it seemed like he was throwing 94-93 and was hitting the middle of the plate a lot.  I would take some effective wildness for more unhittable stuff.  I think his first few starts had him at such a loss that he was holding back on the fastball to throw strikes.  In my opinion, he needs to let it rip in the minors while working on control and not just backing off on the speed. 

I agree. But most important for me is his confidence. Throwing 6 or 7 innings per start, giving up 1 or 2 runs in those starts, throwing 89-100 pitches per start. Let's start with those things, and then I'm going to worry about the walks. I'm assuming he'll be down for a while, so let's get the head screwed back on right. He's still 23. Plenty of time for him to continue to mature.

The other things was that he wasn't hitting his spots even on strikes. AAA hitters may let him get away with that but MLB hitters were punishing him. So statistical success at AAA could be misleading if he isn't throwing his strikes accurately.
iabucco

Post by iabucco »

002D20313627307073420 wrote: I don't want the walks but would take some walks for fewer hits.  When I watched him it seemed like he was throwing 94-93 and was hitting the middle of the plate a lot.  I would take some effective wildness for more unhittable stuff.  I think his first few starts had him at such a loss that he was holding back on the fastball to throw strikes.  In my opinion, he needs to let it rip in the minors while working on control and not just backing off on the speed. 

I agree, more mlb players will make him throw strikes but he has to be able to do it at the edges and not down the middle. I was thinking along the lines of getting his nastiness back and then work on the control more. I was trying to convey that I will take some more wildness if when he hits the strikezone it is with a filthy pitch and not a 93 mph fastball down the middle.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

Minor League hitters are the same as Major League hitters. Those walks to me make him even more wild. Minor Leaguers want to hit, not take walks.

He needs to hit his corners and get more bad contact on balls in play. His walks are concerning to me too.