Another FO head scratcher

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

JollyRoger

Post by JollyRoger »

Pirates just sent Diaz back to the minors. This is just another example of the FO not putting the best team on the field. Diaz not only should have been kept on the roster but he should be starting ahead of Cervelli. Cut Stewart and keep Diaz. Pirates management is doing their best to keep this team below .500
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

507576766348757D7F681A0 wrote: Pirates just sent Diaz back to the minors. This is just another example of the FO not putting the best team on the field. Diaz not only should have been kept on the roster but he should be starting ahead of Cervelli. Cut Stewart and keep Diaz. Pirates management is doing their best to keep this team below .500

Agreed! For A.J. Schugel no less. I'm not sure I'd cut Stewart, but even if you did, and Stallings became your #3, that's not the end of the world. Regardless, you are exactly right. Elias Diaz is the best catcher we have on this team. Better than Cervelli, and much better than Stewart. Head scratcher.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

I would keep Diaz over Stewart. Diaz is finally hitting. Cutting Stewart is a big decision too. I feel emotion comes into play than just basing it on talent.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

Perhaps they are hung up on CERA? Diaz has the worst of the three and I think Stewart has the best. The break is coming up and they may just want an extra arm for the cubs series. I get the line of reasoning, though I disagree with it.

What I cannot fathom is why in the world would they recall A.J. Schugel? He is not exactly dominating AAA.
IABucFan

Post by IABucFan »

3C373F3336372C696F182139303737763B37580 wrote: I would keep Diaz over Stewart.  Diaz is finally hitting.  Cutting Stewart is a big decision too.  I feel emotion comes into play than just basing it on talent.

Personally, I don't care if my catcher hits. I want a guy back there who blocks pitches, is a good framer, and has a canon arm that can control the running game. If he hits too, that's a bonus.

I never, ever, want to go back to the days of having Rod Barajas, or someone like him, back there. Going from Barajas to Martin was like going from a McDonald's happy meal to filet mignon.
johnfluharty

Post by johnfluharty »

4C4447706643646B050 wrote: I would keep Diaz over Stewart.  Diaz is finally hitting.  Cutting Stewart is a big decision too.  I feel emotion comes into play than just basing it on talent.

Personally, I don't care if my catcher hits.  I want a guy back there who blocks pitches, is a good framer, and has a canon arm that can control the running game.  If he hits too, that's a bonus.

I never, ever, want to go back to the days of having Rod Barajas, or someone like him, back there.  Going from Barajas to Martin was like going from a McDonald's happy meal to filet mignon.

Or Ryan Doumit. As a hitter, I liked him and rooted for him, but he was sometimes painful to watch behind the plate.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

040C0F382E0B2C234D0 wrote: I would keep Diaz over Stewart.  Diaz is finally hitting.  Cutting Stewart is a big decision too.  I feel emotion comes into play than just basing it on talent.

Personally, I don't care if my catcher hits.  I want a guy back there who blocks pitches, is a good framer, and has a canon arm that can control the running game.  If he hits too, that's a bonus.

I never, ever, want to go back to the days of having Rod Barajas, or someone like him, back there.  Going from Barajas to Martin was like going from a McDonald's happy meal to filet mignon.

They usually start twice a week. When they aren't playing, they are pinch hitters. Rarely are the used to finish a game for defense purposes.

Martin was special. He changed the team big time. He was even better in 2014 when he hit.

I don't like the use of the back up catcher. I get it, in case their is an injury, but I would use them more (especially if they can hit) to be pinch hitters. I would pinch hit Diaz more than Stewart.

The weak hitting, good defensive catchers are a dime a dozen. Stewart can be replaced if (if) Diaz stinks up the joint.
mouse

Post by mouse »

I wonder if that throw last night played into the decision.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

I doubt Cervelli would be benched for Diaz. This really just gives Diaz more playing time. I wouldn't want to sit him on the bench if he can be playing in the minors.

If he isn't splitting time, then he should be sent down. Its always been that way for catchers. The backup catchers is a wasted bench player.
SammyKhalifa

Post by SammyKhalifa »

68636B676263783D3B4C756D646363226F630C0 wrote: I doubt Cervelli would be benched for Diaz.  This really just gives Diaz more playing time.  I wouldn't want to sit him on the bench if he can be playing in the minors. 

If he isn't splitting time, then he should be sent down.  Its always been that way for catchers.  The backup catchers is a wasted bench player.

3 catchers is super dumb, but I would like to see Diaz and Cervelli go 50/50. Well, really I think I'd like to see Diaz start and Stew be the backup. Stewart gets a bad rap IMO. He's fine for what he's supposed to do.