Qualifying Offers

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

mouse

Qualifying Offers

Post by mouse »

Here's an short explanation of the qualifying offer rule which takes effect this year --

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/08/ ... rules.html

It's interesting that the offer amount for this off-season is expected to be in the 18 MM range. That makes this an article of general baseball interest but of no significance to the Pirates.
dmetz

Qualifying Offers

Post by dmetz »

As far as the Pirates situation with Cutch, if NH holds onto him and lets him walk next year he will get another compensatory pick at the end of the first round.

So Cutch for a new Connor Joe! Only hopefully NH wouldn't throw away the pick like he did by drafting Joe. Though he's not been a good drafter so may happen again.

The new system helps the players who turned down a QO be picked up by another team immensely
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Qualifying Offers

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

343D35242A500 wrote: As far as the Pirates situation with Cutch,  if NH holds onto him and lets him walk next year he will get another compensatory pick at the end of the first round.

So Cutch for a new Connor Joe!   Only hopefully NH wouldn't throw away the pick like he did by drafting Joe.    Though he's not been a good drafter so may happen again. 

The new system helps the players who turned down a QO be picked up by another team immensely

I don't know what will happen with McCutchen. I think he can be a huge asset to the 2018 team. If the Pirates are in it next year at the deadline, how do you trade your franchise player? Or do you hope to replace him (Meadows isn't ready) and trade him this offseason?

It will be a tricky situation. Star players have been free agents before because their teams kept them to make a run.

I wish they will sign him to an extension, but that takes both parties to agree and the price could be high. I just don't know what should happen or what will happen.