Mazeroski's HOF speech.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster21

Mazeroski's HOF speech.

Post by Bobster21 »

Ran across this on youtube. Worth a look for those who never saw it or don't remember it. Very brief. I love how he thanks those who showed up "to hear this crap."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJIL--K ... JIL--KCXIk

Maz is such a terrific guy. Had the pleasure of spending some time with him at numerous Pirate fantasy camps. We asked him whatever became of those 12 written pages and he has no idea. As a joke (I have a goofy sense of humor) I once asked him very seriously if he had ever been in a world series. He seemed to be in disbelief but answered "yeah." So just as seriously I asked, "Get any hits?" He held up his index finger and said, "One."

DemDog

Mazeroski's HOF speech.

Post by DemDog »

Thanks for posting Bobster. I was 12 when got his hit in the WS. Forget what it was though! ;D

Can agree that he is a great and humble guy. Met him in the early 80s at Dick Groats golf course north of Ligonier. Was raining like mad so when I came off the course I was soaking wet. Got he and Groat to autograph my scorecard. Unfortunately I put it in my golf bag and it stayed there and was accidentally discarded by goofy me.

He and Groat entertained a few of us that day with some baseball stories. What a round of golf I missed.

And watching his speech makes me cry for joy and remember the one thing he used to do that would not be allowed today. After the half inning the Pirates were in the field Maz would just throw his glove behind second base in the grass and go to bat.

One of my top 3 players of all time. Mainly cause when i played softball in a local church league as a teen and young adult I played 2b.