Who is the #28 prospect for 2017

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

Barrett Barnes wins a squeaker by one vote and two over third place. He had been added early (8th round) by me. I saw a lot of Altoona games last year and was impressed by BB. So added another Curve alum, 2B Erich Weiss, one of 5 Altoona Curve in the poll.

The top 27, including 5 more 2016 Curve:

1 Austin Meadows 21 OF AAA

2 Tyler Glasnow 23 SP AAA/MLB

3 Josh Bell 24 1B/OF AAA/MLB

4 Mitch Keller 20 SP A-

5 Kevin Newman 23 SS AA

6 Ke'Bryan Hayes 19 3b A-

7 Nick Kingham 25 SP AAA

8 Cole Tucker 20 SS A+

9 Taylor Hearn 22 SP A-

10 Will Craig 22 3B A-

11 Steven Brault 24 SP AAA/MLB

12 Elias Diaz 26 C AAA/MLB

13 Alen Hanson 24 AAA/MLB

14 Gage Hinsz, 20 SP A-

15 Yeudy Garcia 24 SP A+

16 Edgar Santana 25 RP AAA

17 Clay Holmes 23 SP AA

18 Braeden Ogle 19 SP R

19 Jin-De Jhang 23 C AA

20 Luis Escobar 20 SP A+

21 Trevor Williams 25 RP AAA/MLB

22 Jose Osuna 24 OF/1B AAA

23 Max Kranick 19 SP R

24 Dovydas Neverauskas 25 RP AAA

25 Kevin Kramer 23 2b A+

26 Max Moroff 23 IF AAA/MLB

27 Barrett Barnes 25 OF AA [reason]forgot to add #27 prospect[/reason]
UtahPirate

Post by UtahPirate »

I've been voting for Travis McGregor for awhile. Thought maybe I'd give him a bump and see if that helps get him off the board.

MLB has him rated as our #16 prospect (I couldn't tell you where other services have him ranked). As a 2nd round pick from last year I'm not sure why he doesn't have a little more luster at OBN. We put our first round pick at #10.

Just out of high school he was solid in the GCL with a WHIP of 1.23 in 9 starts and 32 innings. At 6'3" and 180, he has the kind of body the Bucs like to develop in their young pitchers -- and doesn't turn 20 until this season is over. Here's what the MLB report says about him:

"MacGregor entered pro ball a bit on the raw side, but he has the makings of a very good three-pitch mix coming from an athletic build that has already shown the ability to take on strength. His fastball typically sits in the low 90s and he throws it with good sink to get groundball outs. There is confidence he will add velocity as he physically matures. He has a good feel for his changeup already and there are glimpses of a solid curveball, though he can't always throw it for strikes. It may take some time, but MacGregor's athleticism should allow him to repeat his delivery and find the strike zone consistently.

The right-hander has already impressed with his makeup and work ethic, taking advantage of being from Florida and spending all offseason in Bradenton. He's already showing more strength, with a jump in stuff a strong possibility."

Can we get him our Top 30?
psuinpgh21

Post by psuinpgh21 »

I've been voting for McGregor too. I guess it's his lack of strikeouts but his whip plus a 2nd round pick and 19 years old intrigue me.
ChitownBucco

Post by ChitownBucco »

system might not be as top heavy as year's past. As most of the cream of the crop besides Meadows, is already spilling over the brim into MLB action.

but there are quite a few interesting prospects beyond the 30 we vote on here.

guys Like Jared Lakind and Montana DuRapua have outside shots at seeing some major league action this year.

After 2016, post season especially I think we'll see a shift in importance to bullpen guys in the coming years.

not saying either of these guys are the next Andrew Miller or anything. but in our playoff years we had significant contributions out of the pen by unheralded rookies making an impact in those years.... Justin Wilson, Watson, Hughes, Scahill, Caminero.... along with a bunch of scrap heap guys like Jeanmar Gomez, Blanton, Mazzarro ect.