Status of Kang

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

BucsFaninGA

Status of Kang

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Does anyone have any info on the status of Jung Ho Kang? I know he has been retained in Korea due to the visa issue due to his DUI's. Any update? Does anyone think we will see Kang again!

Beat'em Bucs
BenM

Status of Kang

Post by BenM »

I looked for info a week ago and couldn't find anything. Not even in Korean English language newspapers. I'm not a lawyer, but if feels like his visa application was dependent on him winning his appeal because it would remove his probation.

He lost the appeal, he's still on probation for the next two years and unless something changes with that, I doubt he gets a visa.
BucsFaninGA

Status of Kang

Post by BucsFaninGA »

Thanks BenM, Sounds like Kang is being held from coming to the USA. They take DUI's much more seriously in Korea. I have come to the conclusion we will not see in a Bucco uniform for some time, if ever again...
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Status of Kang

Post by dogknot17@yahoo.co »

The Pirates should let him play in Korea. I don't know the rules on that as he is the Pirates property, but they should keep him in baseball shape.

If he ever is allowed back and the Pirates hold on to him (stupid not to), he has to play for the Pirates or be traded or released.
BenM

Status of Kang

Post by BenM »

PG 7-11 Jung Ho Kang is receiving visa help from MLB and the players union

I think the headline overstates what's actually happening. I didn't see anything in the article that indicates anything has changed since Kang lost his appeal.
ArnoldRothstein

Status of Kang

Post by ArnoldRothstein »

One wrinkle here is that if the Pirates release him to a Korean team, the players union will immediately file a grievance for the full amount of his contract. They'll have to wait until Kang is begging to go, and gets the union on board, before they can shed themselves of him.
mouse

Status of Kang

Post by mouse »

I dont' think they have any interest in shedding themselves of him. He isn't costing them anything at this point so they can just wait to see if and when he comes back. What I don't know is whether his contract gets extended for the time he's missed. It would be nice it it were, but likely it isn't.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Status of Kang

Good question about his contract. I just assumed that this year wouldn't count?

I wonder if the Pirates would let him play in another league and if it's allowed. I'm sure the Pirates don't want him sitting around and want him to play. They also don't want him to get hurt.
BenM

Status of Kang

Post by BenM »

I wonder if he is eligible to play in the Korean league or if a team would want him.

He was kicked off their WBC team.
dogknot17@yahoo.co

Status of Kang

7E5952713C0 wrote: I wonder if he is eligible to play in the Korean league or if a team would want him.

He was kicked off their WBC team.

I would think the Pirates would have to let him since they own his contract.

I am sure some team would love to have him. The national team didn't want him, but has to be some greedy owner in Korea too. Don't forget, he is probably the best player ever in Korea.