Roster moves.

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Bobster

Re: Roster moves.

Post by Bobster »

fjk090852-7 wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:36 pm
mouse wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:31 pm What does it mean when he's added to the taxi squad? He's just with the team in the event of emergency?
I am guessing he is the starting pitcher on Sunday. They will have to make a roster move to add him to the 28 man roster. He is currently on the 40 man roster so that transaction is not necessary.
Is anybody else close to getting a bonus?
There's no basement in the Alamo.
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

The time is nearer than it looks. It will be here fast. The World Series will be over before the election. So, as the end nears when television and radio is inundated with political ads, and our mail no longer gets all the junk telling us who we should vote for, a big date looms in MLB.

That is when players on the 60 day IL, majors and minors, have to be reinstated on the roster. Focusing only on the major league side, here are the Pirates on the 60 day IL that have to be reinstated or released:

Marco Gonzales
Ben Heller
Daulton Jeffries
Dauri Moreta
Johan Oviedo
Hunter Stratton
Endy Rodriguez

The Pirates have a 15 million club option on Gonzales, with no buyout. All the others the Pirates have club control. There is no way the Pirates pick up that option.

The following players will be free agents, which will automatically open a spot on the 40 man roster:
Jalen Beeks
Ryan Borucki
Aroldis Chapman
Yasmani Grandal
Andrew McCutchen

So there won't be any hard choices to make initially on the 40 man. The Pirates have no major prospect that will need protected in Rule 5 according to Rum Bunter. Tsung Che Cheng was protected last year.

Looking at the 40 man, there are a bunch of guys I can see the Pirates not having to worry about extending a contract to make room for potential free agent signings:
Ben Heller (Arb 2)
Daulton Jeffries
Isaac Mattson
Joey Wentz
Tsung-Che Cheng
Connor Joe (Arb 2)
Alika Williams
Ji Hwan Bae
Joshua Palacios
Jack Suwinski

I see a pretty significant overhaul of the 40 man next season. One thing for sure, the Pirates certainly don't have to worry about roster crunching this offseason. They have a whole lot of room for anyone.
fjk090852-7

Post by fjk090852-7 »

Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2024 6:52 pm The time is nearer than it looks. It will be here fast. The World Series will be over before the election. So, as the end nears when television and radio is inundated with political ads, and our mail no longer gets all the junk telling us who we should vote for, a big date looms in MLB.

That is when players on the 60 day IL, majors and minors, have to be reinstated on the roster. Focusing only on the major league side, here are the Pirates on the 60 day IL that have to be reinstated or released:

Marco Gonzales
Ben Heller
Daulton Jeffries
Dauri Moreta
Johan Oviedo
Hunter Stratton
Endy Rodriguez

The Pirates have a 15 million club option on Gonzales, with no buyout. All the others the Pirates have club control. There is no way the Pirates pick up that option.

The following players will be free agents, which will automatically open a spot on the 40 man roster:
Jalen Beeks
Ryan Borucki
Aroldis Chapman
Yasmani Grandal
Andrew McCutchen

So there won't be any hard choices to make initially on the 40 man. The Pirates have no major prospect that will need protected in Rule 5 according to Rum Bunter. Tsung Che Cheng was protected last year.

Looking at the 40 man, there are a bunch of guys I can see the Pirates not having to worry about extending a contract to make room for potential free agent signings:
Ben Heller (Arb 2)
Daulton Jeffries
Isaac Mattson
Joey Wentz
Tsung-Che Cheng
Connor Joe (Arb 2)
Alika Williams
Ji Hwan Bae
Joshua Palacios
Jack Suwinski

I see a pretty significant overhaul of the 40 man next season. One thing for sure, the Pirates certainly don't have to worry about roster crunching this offseason. They have a whole lot of room for anyone.
Good post, and I too am anxious to get the World Series over in order to get the offseason started. I must disagree but I think the Pirates will not just designate Wentz, Palacios and Suwinski. Wentz is a lefty and a potential bullpen pitcher. I am very disappointed in the season Suwinski had, but I can’t see the Pirates dumping him. He could be packaged in a trade. Finally I think the Pirate Brass likes Palacios.