Bucco Major League Scouting

general

Moderators: SammyKhalifa, Doc, Bobster

Possum

Bucco Major League Scouting

Post by Possum »

I was thinking about the playoffs and how some of you are following them closely. I suggest you give us your idea of players who you would like to see the Bucs go after this off-season. Superstar guys are not feasible due to Nutting. There have to be others that you would go after. Tell us who they are and why.
Let's Go Bucs
Doc

Re: Bucco Major League Scouting

Post by Doc »

Possum wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:19 am I was thinking about the playoffs and how some of you are following them closely. I suggest you give us your idea of players who you would like to see the Bucs go after this off-season. Superstar guys are not feasible due to Nutting. There have to be others that you would go after. Tell us who they are and why.
Possum, I don't believe for one second that a superstar guy isn't feasible. The Pirates have the money to afford one or even two of those guys. The club has to be awash in money after all these years of doing so little spending and because of the money Nutting's received from the other owners. The fact is that he's chosen to keep his money rather than compete. He's convinced most of the fans of the team that he can't do what other organizations do because of the market he's in. It's BS. He's a lying liar who lies.

I'd make a big play for Pete Alonso and Cody Bellinger. It solves the first base, center field, and power problems with two players. But the question, why would they come here, can't be answered.
Babe Adams

Post by Babe Adams »

One thing that has to be kept in mind is that the salary is only half of the deal. The other half is the term. I think that since Nutting assumed control of the team, they haven't gone past three years (Liriano, Nova) in a true free agent situation where the player wasn't already salary-controlled for the early years. If they go to a fourth year, it will be a sign that their risk analysis has changed over the last decade
Surgnbuck

Post by Surgnbuck »

No sense talking guys like Alonso or Soto. They would be beyond the Pirates budget if they WERE a spending team.

I'm looking at first base, right field, third base and relief pitcher. I keep Reynolds in LF, Cruz in CF, Bart/Delay/Endy at C, Nicky G at 2B, and IKF at SS.

Babe Adams nailed it on the head, they also have to look at guys who would do a 2 or 3 year deal. First base I'm betting Anthony Rizzo gets the 6 million buyout from the Yankees. He would do a 2 year deal. Problem is, the guy misses a lot of games. My number one for first base would be Christian Walker. I think he would go for a 2 or 3 year deal. Diamondbacks didn't qualify for the playoffs on the tiebreaker, so they count to me.

I don't have to have an actual right fielder, just an outfielder. Anthony Santander of the Orioles would be my guy, but I'm guessing at 29 going on 30, he's looking for a 5-6 year deal, and that won't happen here.

Third base I go another D-back, Eugenio Suarez. He's 33 going on 34 and won't be getting offered a LTC like 5-6 years in it. Another Diamondback and another guy with a club option. I don't see the D-backs jumping from 11 million to 15 million on him, and instead go the 2 million buyout route. He would definitely do 2-3 years and would be in the Pirates budget. Of course, they'd have to unload Hayes. No way the Pirates pay for a FA third baseman if Hayes is still on the payroll.

For a relief pitcher, Blake Treinen from the Dodgers.

None of these guys alone make a contender, but all of them together presumably helps the Bucs chase a wild card dream.
Doc

Post by Doc »

Surgnbuck wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:13 pm No sense talking guys like Alonso or Soto. They would be beyond the Pirates budget if they WERE a spending team.

I'm looking at first base, right field, third base and relief pitcher. I keep Reynolds in LF, Cruz in CF, Bart/Delay/Endy at C, Nicky G at 2B, and IKF at SS.

Babe Adams nailed it on the head, they also have to look at guys who would do a 2 or 3 year deal. First base I'm betting Anthony Rizzo gets the 6 million buyout from the Yankees. He would do a 2 year deal. Problem is, the guy misses a lot of games. My number one for first base would be Christian Walker. I think he would go for a 2 or 3 year deal. Diamondbacks didn't qualify for the playoffs on the tiebreaker, so they count to me.

I don't have to have an actual right fielder, just an outfielder. Anthony Santander of the Orioles would be my guy, but I'm guessing at 29 going on 30, he's looking for a 5-6 year deal, and that won't happen here.

Third base I go another D-back, Eugenio Suarez. He's 33 going on 34 and won't be getting offered a LTC like 5-6 years in it. Another Diamondback and another guy with a club option. I don't see the D-backs jumping from 11 million to 15 million on him, and instead go the 2 million buyout route. He would definitely do 2-3 years and would be in the Pirates budget. Of course, they'd have to unload Hayes. No way the Pirates pay for a FA third baseman if Hayes is still on the payroll.

For a relief pitcher, Blake Treinen from the Dodgers.

None of these guys alone make a contender, but all of them together presumably helps the Bucs chase a wild card dream.
Which is why what you suggest won't happen. Nutting agreed to spend a bit back in the playoff years, and he got little for it in the way of playoff wins. Heck, the team advanced to the Divisional round just once in three tries. As far as he's concerned he wasted his money. That's why he has little desire to try to win. It costs him money he doesn't want to spend and there are no guarantees that the team will. He doesn't like the odds.
Bobster

Post by Bobster »

Doc wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2024 5:38 pm Nutting agreed to spend a bit back in the playoff years, and he got little for it in the way of playoff wins. Heck, the team advanced to the Divisional round just once in three tries. As far as he's concerned he wasted his money. That's why he has little desire to try to win. It costs him money he doesn't want to spend and there are no guarantees that the team will. He doesn't like the odds.
It's even worse than that. Nutting's 2015 made the postseason with the 2nd best record in MLB. In doing so, they set the franchise attendance record. Mucho revenue! An owner's dream! And it didn't even require an average MLB payroll as they were still at only about 75% of that. But instead of enjoying the team's success and the revenue of franchise attendance, the decision was made to break it up and go back to a barebones payroll. Nutting saw what baseball success looks like and decided it wasn't worth it. He could make more money losing on a shoestring budget than winning with record attendance revenue. Nutting is comfortable being the pond scum of MLB. It's profitable and he likes it there.
There's no basement in the Alamo.